Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

scaredflyer21
Topic Author

Mac Users FS

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:19 am

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything. What is the best FS program for mac users? I have an emac that is a year and a half old. I have added memory, but I just want to make sure that whatever program I use will work. About how much for these pograms? Thanks!

Scaredflyer21

AC773

RE: Mac Users FS

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:54 am

X-Plane is the only current sim I know of for the Mac. Compared to MSFS I happen to think it's total rubbish, but some people like it and many Mac users don't really have a choice. I don't know what the price is; probably $40 or something around there.

The other issue would be with your computer. Not only is it a year and a half old, but it's an eMac. These machines are not known, nor were they built for, graphics-intensive applications. X-Plane will probably run, but most likely only with all the quality settings turned way down.

Bottom line: It's possible, but it would behouve you to consider purchasing a better computer.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

airtahitinui

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:02 am

AC773 is a microsoft robot and not very bright. As a pilot I've used both x-plane and FS and hands down x-plane is far superior in terms of actual flight dynamics.

FS is a toy for kids, x-plane is a bit more advanced.
send a real message - DON'T VOTE!

Mir

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 1):
Compared to MSFS I happen to think it's total rubbish

Quoting Airtahitinui (Reply 2):

Here we go again with the X-Plane vs. FS debate.

X-Plane and FS are two very different types of programs. X-Plane is a straight flight simulator. It has much more realistic flight dyamics than FS, and if you want to experience flight in its purest form, X-Plane is the way to go. FS is more of a complete experience. It's flight dynamics are nowhere near as good as X-Plane, but it has much better scenery, and advanced add-ons such as the LDS 767 and PMDG 747 - you can't find a comparable plane in X-Plane.

I prefer FS for that reason, but anyone who thinks that X-Plane is rubbish should get their head checked. You can fly on Mars, with accurate flight dynamics, with X-Plane - try that in FS. Likewise, anyone who thinks FS is a toy is incorrect - it may be a toy out of the box, but it can be turned into a very good simulator with the help of an add-on community that is far larger than X-Plane's.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AirWillie6475

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting Airtahitinui (Reply 2):

Real pilots use FS to familiarize instrument flying, and many have a copy of the "game" at home. FS is a far superior simulator than X-plane.

CVGpilot

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:51 am

- If your already in to MSFS, then X-plane prob' will not cut it for you as I think it X-Plane really stinks... Good Luck, buy a IBM.

AC773

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
anyone who thinks that X-Plane is rubbish should get their head checked.

Maybe so, but I still don't think it stands up to MSFS in a way that I would be satisfied with it. I'll be the first to agree that FS has some major, glaring inaccuracies. It's much like Windows in that way. It's not very good as a standalone application, but the add-ons are what make it great.

I tried X-Plane a few months ago around the time when I was considering a Mac switch, and from the demo I played, I consider it to be analogous to Linux. It doesn't feel like a finished product, it's difficult to adapt to, and the add-ons are largely the work of a small group of skilled and dedicated fans.

From the demo that I played, the graphics were nothing to write home about and the included 747 was pretty apalling. Whoever designed the panels for it clearly has never seen a 747 cockpit in their life.

I'm sure it's a great sim in its own right. I just don't think it's for me. I'm looking for realism in (IMO) the most important part of any sim; the aircraft. As it stands, X-Plane just doesn't deliver.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

BC-12D

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:14 am

I have a 1.25 GHz eMac and have always enjoyed X-Plane. However, I recently upgraded to X-Plane version 8 and the eMac really can't handle it. I had to turn off almost all the rendering options just to get it to fly smoothly. My old Version 6.5 works very nicely though.

You have to search for the good planes on the user web site www.x-plane.org, as some are pretty lousy but many are very clean and accurate looking/flying.

chksix

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:36 pm

A discussion about the panel accuracy of xplane:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=21153

The aircraft from XPFW are freeware and just require you to register at their site to download them. Their jets are also flying very accurately when crosschecked against the manuals.
The conveyor belt plane will fly

b727fan

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:03 am

How about the new iMac w/ intel dual core? Could it be suitable for FSX? I am in the market to buy a new PC and iMacs look tempeting! I appreciate your advise.

chksix

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:37 am

I havn't seen any reports by users who have tried it yet.

If you buy a mac, any model, max out the RAM since they deliver them with a minimal amount to keep prices attractive.

I have 2 Gigs but the OS still needs a VM swapfile of several Gigs  Sad
The conveyor belt plane will fly

cba

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:58 am

Yeah, I just boosted my 2 year old powerbook from 512M to 1.25G. If you have an intel Mac, you will be able to run Windows natively on it through boot camp. I've heard that there's no performance hit, in that it's not a Virtual Machine, but that Windows runs natively on the intel macs with a few driver changes (PC's use BIOS from the 80's still, Mac's have something a tad newer).

Best thing to do, when you buy a new comp, is to go for one of the dual-core macs. The iMac 17" has got pretty good bang for the buck, and the 21" is great as well. I guarantee that once you make the switch, you'll never want to go back to Windows, but you'll still have the boot camp option for some apps that are Windows-only that you can't live without.

X-Plane, as previously stated, has vastly superior flight dynamics and scenery (something like 60 gigs for the whole world). MSFS has better looks. I'd personally prefer the addons aircraft of MSFS. After flying those excellent pay-ware models, it's hard to go back to the regular cockpits.