UAXDXer
Topic Author

Looking For 757 Payware

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Does anyone know of any good 757 payware for either FS9 or FSX?
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

gunsontheroof

RE: Looking For 757 Payware

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:12 pm

CaptainSim's 757 looks amazing...it was on sale for $14 over the holidays too. Quite a bargain. Anyone flying it?
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

jamesbuk

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:53 am

Ive flown both, they are both very unframrate friendly, at an airport were I get about 35-40fps in any other aircraft, i was getting about 10 in this.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

GEG

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 2):
CaptainSim's 757 looks amazing...it was on sale for $14 over the holidays too. Quite a bargain. Anyone flying it?

Is this only for FS9 or could I use it with FSX?

-Dan
I have no idea what I'm doing...

AndersNilsson

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting GEG (Reply 4):
Is this only for FS9 or could I use it with FSX?

Works in both FS9 and FSX. http://www.captainsim.com/products/b757/

I had Captainsim 757 in my old pc and PSS 757 in my new.

Anders

[Edited 2007-01-11 00:00:34]
Airliner photography is not a crime.

cptspeaking

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:47 am

I have the CaptainSim 752

I bought it thinking that the advanced programming and custom flight dynamics was coming out relatively soon, but this was not to be.

That said, it is a very good model and soundset with the exception of the APU sound, which is waaaay too loud. When the full, working FMC is released as well as the dynamics, I expect it to be amazing. I didn't have as much of a hit on my fps as others have said, and I'm running a 2.5 year old laptop...so not sure what the differences are as my machine is relatively low on the spec totem pole.

A buddy has the PSS version and loves it. I've gotten a couple chances to fly it, and it is very similar to the CS version, except it is already complete. There are a few things that I like more about the CS version, and I think that when it is done it will be much better, as I've had several PSS products and have found them all to be rather glitchy overall. If you want one now though that works, go with the PSS. They may have worked everything out this time!

Your CptSpeaking

EDIT: forgot to mention that the CS version has already been released for FSX as well...no special features with the new platform, just version 1.3 for fsx and 1.2 for fs9...both can be installed at the same time if you're running both sims as I am. I'm not sure whether the PSS 752 is or will be fsx compatible...

[Edited 2007-01-11 00:50:19]
...and don't call me Shirley!!

UAXDXer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the reply's... I have check both of them out but I am still not sure which one I am going to go with.

NZKTBOY

Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:15 am

what bout just flight 757 Pro?
Do i have to live here??

UAXDXer
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting NZKTBOY (Reply 7):
what bout just flight 757 Pro?

just went to jus flights website... didn't see a 757 available from them.

NZKTBOY

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:07 am

Do i have to live here??

jasond

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 8):
just went to jus flights website... didn't see a 757 available from them.

I think PSS do one, try:

http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/

CDreier

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:27 am

I've tried to find a review of the PSS 757, but haven't been able to locate one. It's a lot of money (U.S. $$$) for an aircraft without some comments. I do have the CaptainSim 757, but unfortunatley, it DOESN'T have a operable FMC!!!!

cptspeaking

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting CDreier (Reply 11):
I've tried to find a review of the PSS 757, but haven't been able to locate one.

Try:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/1206/PSS757/757.htm

Your CptSpeaking  wave 
...and don't call me Shirley!!

CDreier

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:05 am

Thanks CptSpeaking. I don't know why I wasn't able to find it. The review leads me to holding off with this purchase. It's a shame that LDS hasn't produced the 757 yet.

ATCGOD

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 1):

Don't buy the Captain Sim one. I've got both the Captain Sim and PSS 757's and find the PSS 757 far superior. I felt seriously ripped off by the Captain Sim one.

Longhornmaniac

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 14):
Don't buy the Captain Sim one. I've got both the Captain Sim and PSS 757's and find the PSS 757 far superior. I felt seriously ripped off by the Captain Sim one.

Well, I happen to disagree. I think the Captain Sim is very well done. Still waiting on the 2D panel, though.

I haven't ever flown the PSS one, however, what makes it superior?

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

bilgerat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 am

The Captain Sim 757 is a very nice (albeit framerate hogging) external model, but don't expect to get a fully functional panel and FMS for a loooong time, if ever. The so called "Block" system is just a rather cynical marketing ploy allowing Captain Sim to release an unfinished product and charge money for it. Captain Sim have a very dubious record for supporting their products and fulfilling their product plans.

Unfortunately the PSS 757 is in a similar boat. It was released in a pretty shoddy state last September, with more than a few serious problems. There was an update made available, but here we are in 2007 and there is still no fuel planner or load editor software available. It might sound trivial, but PSS marketed this as a "Professional" package, and they even mentioned the fuel planner and load editor in the marketing on their website for many weeks after the release. The excuses have ranged from amusing, to ridiculous:

i) The programmes "broke" when they were packaged with the installer.
ii) The programmes are ready, but there was no internet available in Malta (where the developers are based).
iii) They are looking into some sort of anti-piracy measures to prevent the utilities being used with illegal copies of the 757.
iv) Finally, the guy who runs PSS support had a serious accident at work and was hospitalised.

The PSS 757 isn't too bad - the flight modelling is pretty nice, and it's a joy to hand fly. It has a fully functional panel and FMS, so it's automatically streets ahead of the Captain Sim product. The PSS sound sets aren't too good though (this can be corrected by downloading some freeware sound sets available). Finally, I just don't like PSS' external model. The engines just look oversized to me. If you've got the time and inclination you can download the Project Opensky 757 and use the model from that with the PSS panel and flight dynamics. The PSS system modelling is ok, if all you're interested in is starting up, loading a flightplan into the FMS and flying from A to B, then it's perfectly adequate. If you are into pushing every single switch and button, and like to simulate abnormal procedures and failures, then the PSS 757 will disappoint, as it's nowhere near the same league as products from Level D or PMDG.

So basically, the PSS 757 gives you an adequate panel, good flight dynamics, a poor external model, poor sounds, and a lack of fuel planning and load editing software.

If you want the definitive 757 simulation, you are better off waiting for the Level D 757. However, Level D work at a glacial pace, so don't expect anything for many months, and when it is released it will be FSX only, so it's a no-go for those of us who want to stick with FS9.

ATCGOD

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 15):
Well, I happen to disagree. I think the Captain Sim is very well done.

I guess if you like very low FPS in spot view and no 2D panel.

Still waiting on the 2D panel, though.

How long have you been waiting for that one?

I haven't ever flown the PSS one, however, what makes it superior?

Nice detailed FMS, very nice 2D panel, RR and PW engines, several hundred liveries, and excellent flight characteristics.

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 16):
The Captain Sim 757 is a very nice (albeit framerate hogging) external model,

I get the FPS pegged at 30 (locked at 30) in spot fiew with the PSS. Just an excellently modeled aircraft.

Longhornmaniac

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 17):
I guess if you like very low FPS in spot view and no 2D panel.

Haven't had that problem. I'm running a Core 2 Duo 2.7 (I think), ATI X1600 Pro 512 MB Video Card, 2 GB Ram, 320 GB Striped Hard Drive.

How long have you been waiting for that one?

Here is where I'm confused, the aircraft came with a 2D panel.  confused . I have to open lots of windows, but it has a fully functional 2D panel... What is the new one supposed to be like? To answer your question, I've had the product about 2 weeks, so that long I suppose.  Wink

Nice detailed FMS, very nice 2D panel, RR and PW engines, several hundred liveries, and excellent flight characteristics.

I'd say the Captain Sim has all of those as well, perhaps save for the 2D panel. Not to mention the added bonus of being able to add winglets to any and all planes.

FWIW, I'm not dogging on the PSS model, as I've never flown it, but I don't understand why it's about $11 USD more expensive when you combine the blocks from Captain Sim to more or less match the PSS product, when it looks like you get ABOUT the same thing. Surely there must be some reason. Of course, when the 2D panel/ advanced flight systems come out, it might offset that difference, but if the price of other things that are already out is any comparison, it probably won't be quite 11 bucks.

All in all, I'm sure both planes are excellent, but I prefer the Captain Sim because it gives you more flexibility as to what you buy. I don't need the 757 freighter version, I'd never fly it. If I decide later on I'd like the 757-300, I can buy it. Of course, the problems, that have already been brought up, if CS doesn't ever release the other blocks, the buyer is screwed. Even as is, I'm still happy with my purchase. I payed $31.60 USD less for my Captain Sim, and got a comparable model, with sound, hoards of different livaries that I'll probably never use, and an Aircraft Configuration Editor. And considering I haven't had these frame rate problems others have, I'd say I made the right decision.

Just my  twocents 

Cheers and Hook'em Horns,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

CDreier

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:19 am

Cameron,
Does the Captain Sim have a functioning FMS yet? I ask because flying a sophisticated aircraft like the -757 without a Flight Management System just doesn't make sense to me.

Longhornmaniac

Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting CDreier (Reply 19):
Does the Captain Sim have a functioning FMS yet? I ask because flying a sophisticated aircraft like the -757 without a Flight Management System just doesn't make sense to me.

No, it doesn't...unfortuantely. They say it's coming in the next block, along with the 2D panel. I agree though, I wish more payware companies would put a fully functional FMS in their planes. Here's to hoping it gets released soon!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

ATCGOD

Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting CDreier (Reply 19):

Excellent catch. It's been so long since I've flown the CS 757 that I forgot. And FWIW, when I purchased the CS 757 last summer it came only with the virtual cockpit...no 2d panel.