Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

birdy

RE: Post Your Drawings

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting SWA TPA (Reply 49):
Wow! There is some serious talent on here! My poor little Piaggio looks like a 5 year old drew it in comparison! LOL!
What kind of pencils are ya'll using to draw such fine details?

In my case, I use many different pencils from H trough HB up to B6 sometimes B8 or B9 to achieve some particular effects. Often the clutch pencil 0.5mm or 0.7 is also very usefull. I definitely like the illusion of reality so I like broad range of different pencils to draw all range of shades from very light to the darkest tones.

Piaggio is not an easy subject but if you can add some more shades it will look almost like real Smile

Sorry for not aviation related subject below, but still done in pencil and definitely very fast Wink

Greg

SWA TPA

Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting Birdy (Reply 50):
Piaggio is not an easy subject but if you can add some more shades it will look almost like real

I wish I could add some shades and such but I dont know how! I only have like 6 different pencils to work with though. I picked up a little kit at the local craft store and it had those in it. Hmmmmmm, guess I need more  Smile
It takes some natural talent as well I would think. Im not sure I have much talent past what I did there! Big grin

SWA TPA

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:17 pm

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/jetWes757/File0004.jpg

i refused to draw in the windows because if i did, it would turn out to be an A319 and not an A320 as CS-TNA really is...
this is a picture that is somewhere on the airliners.net photo database, just look under CS-TNA....

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/jetWes757/File0010.jpg

this is a sketch from a flightlevel350.com video..im sorta not happy with it because i put the right engine too close to the fuselage. i just had to sqeeze the whole engine there  Angry ... i dont know the reg. # it wasnt finished when i scanned it....also not used to the scanner..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/jetWes757/N641JB.jpg

and this is from a recent trip on jetBlue... i refused to put the "www.jetblue.com" on the engine because i didnt want my pichure to smear from the horrible generic eraser i was using... those are clouds, but once again, im not used to the scanner i used.. N641JB

birdy

Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:39 am

LASO,

Nice to see your drawings. I hope to see more especially if you get used to your scanner  Smile
In the meantime, anyone else has aviation drawings, paintings etc. to show?  Smile

Greg

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting Birdy (Reply 53):
LASO,

Nice to see your drawings. I hope to see more especially if you get used to your scanner Smile

thanks!

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 am

i have no scanner anymore...so i cant scan my new ones...and updated ones  Sad

but anyway, i tried the best i could with the clouds (an updated version shows fluffiness) as i was working with a dying battery on a road trip from Freeport, ME to Utica, NY....wing shots are my favorite to sketch...
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/jetWes757/B-2812.jpg

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Islam Chen

jetmech

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 30):

Quoting Birdy (Reply 36):

You guys have awesome talent! Very impressive  Smile .

Regards, JetMech

birdy

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:26 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 56):
You guys have awesome talent! Very impressive .

Regards, JetMech

Thanks a lot   good to hear you like it  

And, some more pencil stuff ...

Kind regards,
Greg

[Edited 2007-09-01 14:30:44]

birdy

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:02 am

Not a masterpiece  Wink ... but please take a look and lets hope Steven Fossett will be able to impress us again in the future…

Greg

MP

Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 am

Really great drawings. I like the realism on the 3D renders.

Here are some new drawings, including my own concept for an AF/KLM livery.

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:29 am

Anyone got any new drawings?

pl4nekr4zy

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 60):
Anyone got any new drawings?

Progress has been slow on my 737 I posted earlier this year as I don't have a whole lot of time to work on it, but I'll try to scan it again within a few days and show you guys.

MidEx216

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:51 am

This is a bit different, but I drew this to rid my tunnel-vision during finals during flight training. This is the view (approximately) on short final for 31 at SBM. Worked very well. I was gonna give the picture to my CFI before he left for his new job (flying the CRJ-900 for Mesaba), but didn't get it to him in time.

Big version: Width: 1200 Height: 900 File size: 417kb
Final 3-1

LO231

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting Birdy (Reply 57):
And, some more pencil stuff ...

This is amazing!!!!

I'd like that on my wall in the living room!

Regards,
LO231

ag92

Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:43 pm

WOW!!! These drawings are absolutely brilliant. I didn't read any comments, being so shocked by these drawings. If only I could draw so good.

diamond

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:32 pm

This isn't so much a 'drawing' as it is a heavily photoshopped photo:

(yes these are more suited to Modified Airliners)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/diamond@fn/Photoshops/Eastern_777ER.jpg

diamond

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:41 pm

I considered this to be a temporary scheme applied to a short-term lease (all-white) aircraft.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/diamond@fn/Photoshops/Boeing_747_0392acopy.jpg

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:33 am

So I've started this new thing... drawing on 3x5" notecards. I'm not sure if it's a good thing, but my first one of an A345 from CX came out to be pretty good.. I like it a lot..only thing is, I don't have a scanner (still)... I really want y'all to see them. Well see what I can do..

diamond

Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 67):
only thing is, I don't have a scanner (still)... I really want y'all to see them. Well see what I can do..

Based on the self-pic threads, I'll bet you have a digital camera.  Smile

Just take a very good picture of the 3x5 card and post it!

Halcyon

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 65):

That Eastern airplane is one sexy photoshop!

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 68):
Based on the self-pic threads, I'll bet you have a digital camera.  

Just take a very good picture of the 3x5 card and post it!

Eh.. I thought about it, but well, the last time I tried that, my little experiment didn't work out, but, I digress... I'll try.

pl4nekr4zy

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:39 am

Well, here's the update on my 737 drawing I promised.

I had hoped to have finished this drawing this past summer, but got a little lazy with it. I worked on it off and on over the summer, and have been working quite a bit on it this Christmas break. There's still some work to be done on it but I'm pleased to say I'm nearing completion; I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Here are some current scans of it:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/justchillbro/737v21of2.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh87/justchillbro/737v22of2.jpg

And here's a thumbnail link to a super-enlarged close-up of the forward fuseglage:

I tweaked the scan settings as best as I could but unfortunately could only obtain mediocre results. The color and texture of the scans is less than stellar and they're a little blurry; the scans don't quite do justice to the original. The blue of the first scan is much darker than the original, but other than that, the first scan looks more like the original than the second. The blue of the second scan looks much closer to the original. I don't think I changed any scan settings between the two scans other than the resolution, so don't know why the brightness came out differently.. screwy scanner.

Besides the obvious progress of the wing and forward belly shading, some of the less noticable tweaks and updates include...

- Revised the shade of blue and gold. Again, the color is slightly off in the scans and tends to look a little blotchy, but I am very satisfied with the color I finally achieved.

- Completely re-did the cockpit windows! They were probably fine the way they were, but I'm a perfectionist and a few flaws were sticking out to me; much happier with the updated version!

- Added the Skyteam logo and L1 door badge.

- Added window-shades partially closed to various degrees on random windows.

Also added winglets! I was hesitent to do so at first, as I had already completed the non-wingleted wingtip, but am really glad I did. Happy with the result and love winglets on the seven-three!

Well, all that's left now is to finish the shading of the belly, final details such as all the antennas, panel lines, pitot tubes, registration, etc., and some final tweaks and touch-ups, and she's done! Hopefully I can finish up before I head back to school, otherwise it's gonna have to wait until spring break or next summer. Either way, I'll post scans here of the finished product, and in the meantime thinking of my next subject!

Also, the drawing is done on 11"x14" paper, to give you an idea of the size. Measures approx. 11.5 inches from nose to tip of horizontal stab.

Hope everyone here had a good Christmas, and a happy new year to you all as well! I don't post here often anymore, but still browse pretty regularly. This is a great thread and I hope to see some more drawings posted here soon!

[Edited 2007-12-26 01:57:03]

diamond

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 71):
Well, here's the update on my 737 drawing I promised.

Really nice work. It looks almost like a computer graphic, yet I know you did it by hand. That's hard to pull off!

pl4nekr4zy

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:35 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 72):
Really nice work. It looks almost like a computer graphic, yet I know you did it by hand. That's hard to pull off!

Thank-you!