Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QFA380
Topic Author

PSS Has Gone Bust....

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:00 am

Sad news for the flight-sim community, as PSS has gone bust, due to people downloading planes via torrents etc. Press release can be found on their website, www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk .

I thoroughly enjoyed the only PSS plane that I have, and I did purchase it legitimately, the PSS 757.

Longhornmaniac

RE: PSS Has Gone Bust....

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:10 am

Absolutely terrible...

Best wishes to all at PSS.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

wilco737

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:46 am

Well, thanks to everybody who used those torrents....

Very sad for the employees there... best wishes

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

David L

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 am

Quoting QFA380 (Thread starter):
I thoroughly enjoyed the only PSS plane that I have, and I did purchase it legitimately, the PSS 757.

Me too. I had the A330/340.

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 2):
Well, thanks to everybody who used those torrents....

checkmark  And they claim it's a victimless crime.  sarcastic 

David L

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:02 am

The Phoenix may rise from the ashes...

http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/

jamesbuk

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 am

That sucks - The 777 package I got from them is probably the best addon I've ever used for FS and regularly fly it on FS. Hope they can takeover and bring it back...

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

CPH-R

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Very sad, but to be honest, some of their packages were overtaken by other addons & some of their choices made no sense (Ie. they made a 772LR instead of the much more common 772ER).

I had their old B744 pack & was quite sad that they didn't update it to FS9 (I have the PMDG one as well, but it's annoying me that I have to change my FS setup every time I want to use it). I've had their A330/A340 pack as well, but for quite a long time I've been flying the LDS767, since PSS never updated their pack and fixed the errors.

flymia

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:16 am

I had their 757 and 777. I like the 757 alot but it was not the best. But the 777 was the only realistic add on 777 for FS9 so I had to get it. I love the 777 and using the 777-200LR is nice because than I can fly MIA-BOM but also use it for JFK-LHR. But my computer crashed and I lost my add ons I can get all of them back. Hopefully the temporary website will come up and I will be able to download my 777 and 757 again. Its horrible what happened to them and hopefully people will pay for their products.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

zak

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:59 pm

Quote:
PSS have experienced severe difficulties both of a personal and financial level that unfortunately at this time cannot be remedied. The financial difficulties are mainly caused by the individuals who preferred to use sites like pirate bay instead of paying to support the growth and continuation of PSS and then clogging up our forums with technical support queries for products you don’t actually own , You know who you are! As a result of this former CEO Graham Waterfield has been left with no alternative but the closure of the company and early retirement.

this should read:

due to severe managerial mistakes, not taking the loss effects of unrightful copies of the product into account, the company failed to meet the anticipated sales goals, hence it has to be closed.
its the ceo's job to anticipate issues like illegal copies and find measures against it.
certainly, if illegal copies were impossible, he would have it easier. on the other hand, it would make it a more competetive market due to more potential income to be made.
in the end, if you have the best product in your sector, you prevail.
10=2

LTU932

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:54 am

Quoting QFA380 (Thread starter):
PSS Has Gone Bust....

And I'm stuck with installers that require online validation and download through the installer (which sucks copy protection anyway, because it's ineffective and creates problems for those who purchased their product, even PMDG does it better with their online validation, which if confirmed allows the installer to proceed without any unnecessary re-downloads).  Yeah sure

Once PSS finds a new way to allow us to re-download our purchased stuff through the installer, I'll make a backup copy of every single PSS related item and gauge.

Quoting Zak (Reply 8):
this should read:

due to severe managerial mistakes, not taking the loss effects of unrightful copies of the product into account, the company failed to meet the anticipated sales goals, hence it has to be closed.
its the ceo's job to anticipate issues like illegal copies and find measures against it.
certainly, if illegal copies were impossible, he would have it easier. on the other hand, it would make it a more competetive market due to more potential income to be made.
in the end, if you have the best product in your sector, you prevail.

checkmark 

PMDG and Flight1 don't seem to have the same problem as PSS, because they have more effective means against illegal copies and decent products. That's mostly where PSS failed, not just their products becoming worse with every release and with the fact that for official paints you had to pay for them, but because of how complicated things are with the copy protection.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

David L

Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting Zak (Reply 8):

Well, yes, fair point but it still puts them second in line for blame, after the bastards who stole copies!

sjc4me

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:54 am

Why can designers like POSKY make quality aircraft for free and not have a problem and places like PSS require an income to remain in business? I can't believe their expenses are that high. Me thinks they're just being pissy and taking their ball and going home.
Unable.

CPH-R

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting SJC4Me (Reply 11):
Why can designers like POSKY make quality aircraft for free and not have a problem and places like PSS require an income to remain in business? I can't believe their expenses are that high. Me thinks they're just being pissy and taking their ball and going home.

Most payware companies usually offers a panel with much greater usability than most 3rd party freeware panels (there are a few exceptions). Stuff like a fully functioning FMC, overhead panels & all that, usually takes a good heap of time to code.

777-200

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Damn, I haven't been seriously flight simming since FS02' but I remember the first 777 they made. (yeah I'm old school. lol) Their A320 was quality too... I might have to fire up ol' flight sim and take it for a spin...  Sad
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

vhqpa

Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Its a shame I legitimately purchased the Airbus A319/A320/A321, Airbus A330/A340 and Dash 8. Went online earlier today to find they had gone bust  Sad
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

jamesbuk

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:39 am

Does anyone know where I can get repaints for my PSS 777's? If i remember they used to have a page of them on their site but alas as their site is now just one page with the reason for shut down I cant get any off of there and can't find any on any other websites.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!