Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vikinga346
Topic Author

Flight Sim MultiPlayer Community!

Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi All -

I'd just like to share with all of you an excellent FSX multiplayer community that I found. It is called FS-MP (Flight Sim Mult-Player) and the website is www.fs-mp.com. It is comprised of very knowledgable individuals who have a passion of flying. We have real - trained air traffic control and private server with a 99.99% uptime. You do NOT use gamespy!! I would highly recommend spending the time to look over the site and get yourself signed up. Although you need to take a "quiz" to get signed up, it is highly worth the time and effort. We have events every week with a huge event every month where we fly certain routes and have dedicated ATC to control along the way ,all the way from clearance up to center.

So, if you're looking to join a dedicated, professional FSX multiplayer community, come check us out at www.fs-mp.com

Thanks for your time!!
...you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you shall return

AAH732UAL

RE: Flight Sim MultiPlayer Community!

Wed May 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Or you could just fly on Vatsim  Smile
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!

Tommy Mogren

Thu May 08, 2008 11:38 am

Quoting AAH732UAL (Reply 1):
Or you could just fly on Vatsim

Exactly.

Why start up another one ?
What's different ?

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

QFA380

Sun May 11, 2008 10:22 am

Exactly! 1 large online multiplayer would be better for everyone than having 5 smaller ones. Pilots benefit from more ATC coverage, ATC benefits from more traffic, everyone wins!

jwenting

Sun May 11, 2008 10:52 am

I've given up on vatsim.
1) consistently abusive behaviour by controllers. Vatsim controllers consider pilots to be there to be bullied around (read the controller forum...).
2) terrible software support. 20 months after FSX was released and there's still no decent pilot software (FSInn is incompatible with GoFlight control software as well as being unstable). This is nothing new, the same thing happened with FS2004 and FS2002 as well, probably with FS2000 too but I didn't join vatsim until about a year after FS2000 was released.

IVAO works like a charm. Friendly controllers, excellent software.

It's good that there is choice. There was no choice in the early days and the terrible state of SATCO was the result (a state which still exists with VATSIM to this day, though not quite as bad).
I wish I were flying

jetmatt777

Sun May 11, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 4):
1) consistently abusive behaviour by controllers. Vatsim controllers consider pilots to be there to be bullied around (read the controller forum...).

I'm an ATC, and I have never once seen or heard of any sort of bullying around. Most of the time, it's the pilots bullying us around because of routing issues or slight diversions or arrival delays due to traffic. They think because a flight on flightaware took the Gorman 4 departure that they have to take that route of flight, when that route of flight may not be available due to other traffic or weather. Just because they are the pilot in command, they think they have command over us. It's the pilots that hold a grudge not us. We go through a lot of training to know our material preferred routings and what to do in different situations.100% of the time, the pilots should trust our decisions, because we know where the hazards are and where the clear is. It's the pilots that bully us around that make our day bad, and consequently making other pilots experiences not so well.

I think your point is invalid.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 4):
2) terrible software support. 20 months after FSX was released and there's still no decent pilot software (FSInn is incompatible with GoFlight control software as well as being unstable). This is nothing new, the same thing happened with FS2004 and FS2002 as well, probably with FS2000 too but I didn't join vatsim until about a year after FS2000 was released.

Not many pilots use FSX because of the horrible frames it provides. For online flying I would guess getting good frames is a must so you don't embarass your self on landing or trading paint with another pilot.

checkmark 

Quoting Tommy Mogren (Reply 2):
Why start up another one ?
What's different ?

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 3):
Exactly! 1 large online multiplayer would be better for everyone than having 5 smaller ones. Pilots benefit from more ATC coverage, ATC benefits from more traffic, everyone wins!

checkmark 

Enjoy your online flying with 100 people and a handful of controllers, while VATSIM has over 1 million pilots and a couple thousand controllers.

You might as well just fly offline with 1% traffic setting and turn ATC off  Smile I'd say it's pretty hard to beat VATSIM.

-Matt

jwenting

Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Yah, vatsim controllers always blame the pilots...
You're typical. Maybe it's not so bad in the US, but in Europe pilots are constantly bullied and subjected to verbal abuse by controllers.

and oh, FSX provides excellent performance with even midrange systems. The "bad fps" is largely a myth brought on by kids thinking they can run it with every slider maxed out on a 5 year old computer and being angry that it can't.

If vatsim were the only game in town it would be SATCO but worse.
I wish I were flying

AAH732UAL

Sun May 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 6):
Yah, vatsim controllers always blame the pilots...

NO just crappy ones  Smile
DME/DME RNP0.3 NA -Escalators don't break---- they just become stairs!

jwenting

Mon May 12, 2008 5:36 am

nope. Just crappy controllers with attitude problems who think that any pilot is crappy...

Typical scenario: check for online controllers before turning onto the runway. Accellerate to v1, and seconds later get a screaming controller cursing you for taking off without permission, a controller who wasn't even online when you started your run.
Another typical scenario: a controller who berates you for not using a NAT track for a crossing between north Africa and south America.
I wish I were flying

Tommy Mogren

Mon May 12, 2008 9:51 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 6):
in Europe pilots are constantly bullied and subjected to verbal abuse by controllers.

Never met this kind of ATC. Never heard of it before either...

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

jetmatt777

Mon May 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Quoting Tommy Mogren (Reply 9):
Never met this kind of ATC. Never heard of it before either...

Me neither, I'm guessing 99.9% of this stuff they are making up.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 8):
Typical scenario: check for online controllers before turning onto the runway. Accellerate to v1, and seconds later get a screaming controller cursing you for taking off without permission, a controller who wasn't even online when you started your run.

I've never had that happen to me, nor have heard it, if you would be kind to the controller and say sorry, my list didn't show you were online, I apologize. Besides VATSIM's airport's don't have the traffic they do at real world airports, normally a controller will be a little forgiving if there is no immediate hazard. Not only that, but as a controller, I spend about 5 minutes before I log in to the scope observing so I can get a feel for the traffic, he knew you were departing on unicom.

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 8):
Another typical scenario: a controller who berates you for not using a NAT track for a crossing between north Africa and south America.

If you know they will get angry, download the latest NAT tracks. It's not too hard to please a controller on VATSIM, if you are nice to him, he will be nice to you. If you have an attitude he will have an attitude, I'm sure it's the exact same in real life. A real life controller might keep a plane in the holding pattern a few extra minutes if a pilot has an attitude toward him.

If you follow the rules, then you shouldn't have a problem with the ATC.

BTW, I checked out fsINN and it is available for FSX, get your facts straight.

-Matt

vikinga346
Topic Author

Fri May 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Guys -

I have tried VATsim and I am not very impressed. I may sound biased to you because I am a very active member of the FS-MP community but I veered away from VATsim for many of the reasons stated above.

Anyway, I don't want to knock Vatsim - if you enjoy it there then that's great and you should continue to do so. My post is merely meant for players that maybe don't use multiplayer so much or are straight up fed up with gamespy. FS-MP offers an excellent server and exceptional members. I encourage you to check out www.fs-mp.com to see what we offer. We are coming up with some outstanding features in the next few months and although I cannot reveal what these are for obvious reasons, you will be extremely happy and surprised what they are.

Just take 5 minutes of free time and check it out. We are growing and growing and although we are still pretty small, we have an outstanding following and I enjoy every minute of it.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions - I joined this community in November and am absolutely stoked that I look forward to coming home every day and flying with a community that truly cares about me as an individual and know me by name.

I promise you won't be disappointed. My e-mail is: [email protected] or you can PM me on this forum.

Thanks for your time guys.
...you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you shall return

jwenting

Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Matt, the are NO NAT tracks between the Azores and Brazil, which is the route I usually fly (and is quite a valid route).
If controllers are anal about NAT tracks and don't know that there are other ways to cross the pond I'm not going to fly with them.

I (and a lot of others) now avoid specific areas on vatsim because of the attitude of the controllers there, and quite a few people have left vatsim altogether because of it.
I wish I were flying