Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbalticfan
Topic Author

Which FS I Should Get?

Fri May 09, 2008 3:02 am

I am thinking to get Flight Simulator game and just wondering,which one would be the best ! My priority would be to get as close as possible to real life flight situations.
Thank you!

NWADC9

RE: Which FS I Should Get?

Fri May 09, 2008 5:24 am

For realism, get X-Plane. After all, it's FAA-certified Big grin
For addons and the like (basically the most common FS), FSX.
Feeling old-school or just hate FSX, FS2004
Pocket PC, Leo's Flight Simulator (PC version's out there too, which is perfect for the quick little flight)
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

Delboy

Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 pm

You also have to consider the spec of your PC when deciding this. A lot of 'older' Pc's just don't have the capability to run FSX, some struggle to run FS9.

My specs for example are a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 Dual Core, 2Gb of Kingston RAM, NVidia 7600GT 256mb, 120Gb Maxtor 7200rpm hard drive, Windoews XP Sp2 and 500W PSU. They are the main things and I run FS9 at a solid 25fps with all the sliders turned right up. The add ons I have are GE Pro, Flight Environment, FS Global, FS Traffic 2005 plus 2 add on extension traffic packs and Active Sky.

Nearly all of the flying I do is airliner related , so most of the time I'm viewing nice scenery from 31000ft, which is why don't have any airport add ons at the moment. However, I have a huge box of them in the spare room that one day, may or may not get added on.

Keep smilin'

jamesbaldwyn

Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Quoting Delboy (Reply 2):
You also have to consider the spec of your PC when deciding this. A lot of 'older' Pc's just don't have the capability to run FSX, some struggle to run FS9.

Yup - If you don't have a dual core processor than FSX isn't for you.

David L

Fri May 09, 2008 6:41 pm

Quoting Airbalticfan (Thread starter):
Flight Simulator game

Game? GAME? Them's fightin' words.  grumpy 

biggrin 

cpd

Sat May 10, 2008 9:27 am

If you want realistic systems, then FSX is the go. The addons (payware ones) have a level of realism that I've never seen in anything else.

X-Plane doesn't appear to have anything like the PMDG or Level D Boeings, or the PMDG MD11.

I have FS9 and FSX. FS9 for when I want to fly Concorde (SSTSim) or FSX (when I'm testing and developing the new one). But once the new one is complete, I'll move right over to FSX for good. FSX has much better graphics, it really does look a lot better.

[Edited 2008-05-10 02:28:29]

airbalticfan
Topic Author

Sun May 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Thank you guys,got my FSX yesterday and it works great!I love it!It's like finally my dreams come true!
I went through couple tutorials and it felt great when finally I could fly good old DC-3!Graphics seems to work just fine,I did not set all options on highest,all of them were on medium,but today I will try to set my options a bit higher.
I use my old Logitech joystick and it responds at grade B,I will have to get real one for flight simulator.What would you guys recommend,what is the best controler out there?
I really like this guy http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=64
Please give me an adivce,thank you!

My computer:
HD Pavilion DV2840se laptop
17" WXGA BrightView LCD Screen
ADM Turion 64x2 Dual Core TL-60
2.0GHz 1MB L2 1600MHz FSB
4GB DDR memory
250GB 5400-rpm Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce Go 7150M graphics
Windows Vista OS

It works good!

jamesbaldwyn

Sun May 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Ensure you install SP1/SP2 - Although, are they preinstalled (or at least SP1) on the latest editions of FSX?

NWADC9

Mon May 12, 2008 12:28 am

Pass on the SP2 if you're gonna get some addons, as SP2 will really screw things up with some stuff.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

ACDC8

Mon May 12, 2008 1:04 am

I've been using (very happily) FS9 with out a problem, ever since it came out. I bought FSX when it came out, but was disappointed at the performance levels I was getting so I re-installed FS9.

I've never used X-Plane before, but a friend of a friend bought X-Plane 9 the other day and apparently it didn't work on his computer, so he tried to take it back to the store for a refund. They wouldn't do it, so he just gave it to my friend who doesn't flight sim so she gave it to me ..... Big grin . I'll probably install it next weekend sometime and give it a whirl.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

jwenting

Mon May 12, 2008 5:33 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 1):
For realism, get X-Plane. After all, it's FAA-certified

wrong!.
One specific combination of hardware with a specific version of X-Plane was certified by the FAA as a pilot training device.

That doesn't say much, the old link trainer was also so certified  Smile
I wish I were flying

jamesbaldwyn

Mon May 12, 2008 6:10 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
I bought FSX when it came out, but was disappointed at the performance levels I was getting so I re-installed FS9.

You have to give it another chance. Many users haven't tried FSX since the release of SP1 and haven't noted the huge performance boost you get with it.

BAE146QT

Mon May 12, 2008 6:04 pm

I do love FSX - as with most of the FS releases it's a massive quantum change in detail and immersion. The first mission I played was to rescue a baby elephant while I was in an ultralight. A BABY ELEPHANT! This, coupled with the way that the adults wandered across the airfield before I took off to find him was enough to sell it to me*.

It's gorgeous, but seriously hardware intensive. I bought an 8800GTX just to run it.

On the other hand, FS9 with full detail and even some really intensive 3rd party addons is unreal with the hardware I have now.

In the end, I sided with FS9 because I love FSPassengers. That's not a failing of FSX - it's because there isn't an FSX version of that addon.

*Actually, my missus bought it for me.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

jamesbaldwyn

Tue May 13, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 12):
In the end, I sided with FS9 because I love FSPassengers. That's not a failing of FSX - it's because there isn't an FSX version of that addon.

Wont be too long now until they release FSPAX For FSX. Chances are SP1 & SP2 Slowed it down.

gunsontheroof

Tue May 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 12):
That's not a failing of FSX - it's because there isn't an FSX version of that addon.

Actually, the reason there isn't a version of that addon (and many other addons) for FSX is precisely because of its failings. It's easily the least backwards-compatible/developer friendly edition of MSFS ever released.

Get FS9 (very cheap now days) and load it up with add-ons. A good FS9 setup is still tough to beat these days.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

cpd

Wed May 14, 2008 10:10 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 14):
It's easily the least backwards-compatible/developer friendly edition of MSFS ever released.

Yes, but that was in response to all the new things all the developers asked for. We asked for a lot more functionality, and we got it. So we can do things with SimConnect framework now, rather than using bad old ways to make advanced functions work.

It means that a lot of addon developers have to do clean sheet designs. But it also gives everyone a chance to do what they wanted to do from the start. For us, that's what we are doing. We are doing the things that we've wanted to do before - and it will lead to a much, much better addon.

That's from our point of view, but I don't think anyone else is any different.