Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brendan03
Topic Author

Upgrade Advice For FSX

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:30 am

Hi all

I'm currently considering upgrading my machine to get better performance out of FSX but I'm unaware of what to upgrade, I'm thinking its my CPU that needs replacing or installing some faster ram.

I recently upgraded my video card which I noticed increased performance alot but I'm still trying to get smoother operation at larger airports.

I keep my drive defragged and I'm running Vista, I'm not planning to go back to XP, as I'm trying to get DX10 working (I've got the setting disabled in FSX at the moment just to get a little bit more performance out of the computer)

Anyway, My PC is as follows.

Intel Core2Duo E7300 (2.66GHz)
Gigabyte EP45-DS4P Motherboard.
4GB DDR2-800 in Dual Channel
EVGA nVidia GTS 250 1GB
Seagate 250GB SATA @ 7200RPM

I've also got a 750w Thermaltake Modular Power supply so I don't think that should be an issue.

I think that about covers it, I am considering buying a Intel Core2Duo E8600 @ 3.33GHz but I don't want to buy it to find out that my CPU isn't the bottleneck.

I may post some screenshots of FSX after, but I'll hold off for now.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you may have.

Brendan
Coolier than thou.

Fly2HMO

RE: Upgrade Advice For FSX

Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Ditch the Core Quads and Duos. Get a Core i7 and dual video cards.

My rig:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz, OC'ed to 3.67ghz (i took it up to 4.2Ghz once, stable)
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
2X SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 in X-fire mode
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply
2X Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb in RAID 0, total 1.3TB

It took some minor tweaking, but now it runs FSX great, fully maxed. Oh, and any other game I throw at it as well.

Brendan03
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:42 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
Ditch the Core Quads and Duos. Get a Core i7 and dual video cards.

If I can help it, I'd like to be able to keep the majority of the system as is, Ie, Not having to replace the motherboard (and then ofcourse, Everything else with it...)

Although, I guess all my peripherals are new enough that I'd only need to replace the Motherboard and CPU.

I only recently moved over to the Core2Duo recently from a P4 after my old motherboard died, and ofcourse I had to replace nearly everything, I'm slowly phasing use of IDE out of my computer, too
Coolier than thou.

usairways787

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:49 am

Do you have a 32bit or 64bit operating system? If you have a 64 bit you see an increase in performance as well. You don't necessarily have to ditch the duo, because then you will have to upgrade your motherboard. Your card is relatively low end for DX10, and I wouldn't recommend going to DX10 as they are still having major issues with that interface. I'd recommend at least a GTX 260 which is what I bought for 170.00. SLI your not going to notice that much in frames and may even bring it down a notch as SLI has had problems running in FSX. I have a quad core like FLY and there are certain areas that lack frames, but on average I get 30 frames, FSX is more of a demander on CPU. Try overclocking your settings as well, then visit this website. Any more questions feel free to let me know.

http://secure.simmarket.com/tweakfs-tweakfps-for-fsx.phtml

xero9

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:31 am

I don't know if this really makes a difference as I'm not 100% up to date on CPUs, but I've heard that Intel is planning on discontinuing the "Core 2" line (both Duo and Quad) and even the i7 series and replacing them with their new 32nm CPUs. I know you said you don't want to replace much of what you have, but if you did decide to replace your mainboard and CPU, you might want to wait for the new line of chips.

I myself is in a position to up my system to make FSX perform better, but it just doesn't seem worth it for me right now. I'm running a Pentium D 2.8 with some ATI X1300 (I got the graphics card for free, so I'm not complaining), so I'm highly in need of an upgrade. I think I might suck it up for another year or so, at which point FSX should be 4 years old. Maybe eventually mid-range hardware will run the game with ease!

phbuf

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:53 am

Quoting Brendan03 (Thread starter):
Intel Core2Duo E7300 (2.66GHz)
Gigabyte EP45-DS4P Motherboard.
4GB DDR2-800 in Dual Channel
EVGA nVidia GTS 250 1GB
Seagate 250GB SATA @ 7200RPM

as said by another poster, get the i7 CPU. Simply unbeatable. You're GPU is too fast for your currect CPU and RAM. So, get the i7, keep the GPU and get DDR3 1600 RAM, preferably 6 GB. That should definately smooth your ride  Wink

As for SLI or CrossFire, it's not very helpful for FS purposes; I currently have two 8800GTs in SLI, but I would rather have one GTX275/280/285 than two 8800GTs.

Brendan03
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the comments guys -- I think that being the costs involved, I may just hold off buying any replacements on this until near Christmas, or next year.

The video card is only a few weeks old to be honest, I've had the motherboard/cpu for a while now, I got it March.

so I think with the information I've been provided, I may end up getting an i7 unless I hear more about these 32nm chips, unless I can get a Core 2 Duo E8600 for a really good price.

Thanks again guys!
Coolier than thou.

Fly2HMO

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Quoting USAirways787 (Reply 3):
and I wouldn't recommend going to DX10 as they are still having major issues with that interface.

I beg to differ. DX10.1 looks amazing in my machine. I'm running ATI video cards though, which are DX10.1 certified. AFAIK most Nvidia cards are just DX10 and some still DX9

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 6):
I may just hold off buying any replacements on this until near Christmas, or next year.

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 6):
I may end up getting an i7 unless I hear more about these 32nm chips,

I think that's your best bet right now.

usairways787

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:53 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):
I beg to differ. DX10.1 looks amazing in my machine. I'm running ATI video cards though, which are DX10.1 certified. AFAIK most Nvidia cards are just DX10 and some still DX9

Your one of the luck ones then, a lot of people are having major issues with DX10 still.