Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Your Last Flight Sim Aircraft Crash / Incident

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Just wondering when did you last have a crash / incident in Flight Sim?

What were the surroundings to the crash? What were you flying? And did anyone survive?

My last incident was in September 2009. I was flying a British Airways PMDG MD11 from EGLL (Heathrow) to KSAN (San Diego).

On approach to runway 27 which is over 1,000ft shorter than landing in the opposite direction (runway 09) due to having to pass over a number of buildings.

The reported weather was a head wind at 4kts gusting to 16kts and light rain. I had auto breaks set to MED and spoilers armed.

On short finals I was dead on the decent line however thanks to a sudden gust of wind I floated down the runway at around 15ft (while this happened I switched the breaking to MAX), I would say around 1800ft passed before I finally touched down at my landing speed of 156kts.

On touchdown I used maximum reverse thrust and noticed the breaking action was extremely poor (something that is modelled much better in FSX then in FS9).

Passing the runway turn off (taxiway Bravo 6) I was decelerating through 102kts, at this point I knew I was not going to stop, so the commend was given to “brace”. With around 100 feet before the last runway turn off I was decelerating through 48kts. As there are no high speed runway turn off’s it would be impossible to make the turn off the runway and not enough space to stop before the runway ended (and would pass through the approach lighting and then into the bay).

At the end of the runway I turned to the left, breaking with the left breaks only – however I had to much speed and continued onto the grass stopping with only the tail (and engine number two) still half over the taxiway.

As PMDG is one of the few FS aircraft designers to fit an evacuation alarm to their aircraft I thought I should use it, so waiting until the engines had wound down (about 15 seconds after pulling the fuel cut offs for all three) I pressed the evacuation alarm.

If this had been a real incident there would have only been a few injuries, caused mainly by the breaking, the aggressive movement of the aircraft to the left hand side and the sudden stop and of cause the evacuation injuries.

I have flown into KSAN twice since and I now know to always extra careful and if possible use runway 09 – which hardly ever seems to be in use!

So guys what crashes/incidents have you experienced?

Kimberly

RE: Your Last Flight Sim Aircraft Crash / Incident

Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:32 am

MD-11 as well, with some heavy windshear. It was slammed down onto the runway very heavily, did a huge bounce and then I lost control of it. It just wouldn't flare enough.

If it were real, it would have exploded, and everyone dead. I added the reported winds above the normal landing speed - but it didn't help.

It's not easy to handle that plane in heavy weather.

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Thread starter):
As PMDG is one of the few FS aircraft designers to fit an evacuation alarm to their aircraft I thought I should use it

Concorde in FS2004 (SSTSim) also had one IIRC. Not that you needed to use it much - that plane had very few vices. It flew very well - a real thoroughbred machine, very responsive engines, fairly agile and easy to handle in turbulent conditions.

I did however have some INS units go a bit wild on me though - but that's not immediately dangerous.

[Edited 2010-01-03 16:41:02 by cpd]

Fabo

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:02 am

December 20th (give or take 2 days) - I was flying with unfamiliar equipment - Tu-124, for historic fly-in on IVAO, and came in too high after a NDB and circling approach. Being uder time pressure, I opted to land anyway, with 60s era runway being only 2000m I needed to land soon. Long story short, I slammed it too hard and broke the landing gear, skidding off the side of runway afterwards.

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Hey

Seems we all have issues with landing! :s

Kimberly

aerdingus

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Oh! Ban the MD11 from FS skies!  Wink My last one was an Air Vanuatu 737-800 visual landing at Port Vila, at night, but embarrasingly, no wind...I still came in too fast & ran off the runway...took about 4 attempts to get it right  Smile

seemyseems

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Mine was an EA DC-10, overshot the runway at MIA. It was an almost perfect landing as well!

Fabo

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Quoting Aerdingus (Reply 4):
Oh! Ban the MD11 from FS skies!

Yeah, right... pilot incompetence should ban an airplane.. Big grin  Wink

Anyway, wish me luck, I am taking the trijet to SXM from KSC within few hours... Long hauls are good for studying in between TOC and TOD  Smile Accounting, history of economics and international trade for me over the Atlantic!

aerdingus

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 6):
Long hauls are good for studying in between TOC and TOD

Lol, thought I was the only one that did that!

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 6):
Yeah, right... pilot incompetence should ban an airplane..

Anyway, wish me luck, I am taking the trijet to SXM from KSC within few hours... Long hauls are good for studying in between TOC and TOD Accounting, history of economics and international trade for me over the Atlantic!

Fly safe my friend, I hope the accounting and econonmics does not send you into a coma ;o)

I must admit I spend more of my FS hours flying long haul then short - its just better for me that way - that could however change when I can get a good Airbus for FSX or when PMDG's B737NGX are released!!

Kimberly

Fabo

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Pretty common actually  Smile

CPH-R

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm somewhat guilty of having parked a handful of twin otters and Dornier 228's on and around various mountain strips in Nepal as of late Big grin

UltimateDelta

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:21 am

Lessee... It was actually a long time ago (no, really!)

I was landing a KLM Cargo 747 in AMS and undershot the runway by about 200 feet, bounced back up, and bellyflopped it halfway off the runway.

ThrottleHold

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Thread starter):
On short finals I was dead on the decent line however thanks to a sudden gust of wind I floated down the runway at around 15ft (while this happened I switched the breaking to MAX), I would say around 1800ft passed before I finally touched down at my landing speed of 156kts.

At which point the sensible thing to do would be to go-around!!  Big grin
A couple of weeks ago I went around afte hearing the 5 feet call from the Rad Alt. A330, landing on runway 28 with wind 240/39G51. (in real life...not on FS!)

njxc500

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:54 am

I had smoke in the cockpit at cruise over europe. It was an ugly situation, but if I had approach plates I could have done an autoland.

I could only occasionally see the guages, it was a very tough situation.

X-plane 9.

af773atmsp

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 am

Crashed an AA 767 shortly after take off from TUS because of wind shear. Also landed a 787 short of the runway at MSP after a flight from ATL.

aluminumcity

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:21 pm

SGA A310. Was on approach at LGA, landed on the foot of the runway - my tail hit a tree.

BrouAviation

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:21 am

I was flying PMDG's 738 with EuroCypria 2 years ago, from Skiathos. Did some wrong calculations on MTOW, and I blasted through the fence, and had liftoff from the beach just behind de runway.

After that, I started flying the Wilco 737 with Lufthansa, with Flying Tigers Group, and have done so ever since. 330 flights later, no crash yet, however I once had the Terrain alert on approach to GVA.
And a few weeks ago, jetstream was so strong that I had to divert to Lourdes for fuel, when doing FRA-MAD.

I guess that's about it.

FX772LRF

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:11 am

Flew from KVNY, to KSNA. Learjet 45.

Taxiied for departure, took off runway 16R, climbed to 3000 MSL, turned on the autopilot to hold 3000 and 250 knots. Eventually got to SNA airspace, requested full stop landing (I had already programmed the weather/wind to land on 19R), then made the approach in for 19R.

I've never done this approach, and have never tried to land at this airport in the Learjet. I joined the final approach too far right of the runway, so I changed my heading to about 120º. I then attempted to rejoin the approach by making a short (really short) final into the airport. I came in too high, too fast, and at the wrong heading; which ended up in me catching the wingtip on the runway and flipping the aircraft.

Happy flying, and stay safe out there in the (virtual) skies!

-Noah  wave 

FlyingColours

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:11 pm

My latest one and a very close call.

I was pilot flying on flight XPO9521, operated by Boeing 767-200ER registration G-OXPO on 17th December 2009. Our flight from Faro, Portugal was uneventful and we were began our descent when passing over the Isle of Man. Scottish FIR began to offer us vectors to Glasgow which we accepted and followed as instructed. Our descent was also uneventful.

We were handed over to Edinburgh Approach before being handed over to Glasgow Approach. Our approach began 20NM due east of Glasgow Airport and were cleared to continue an ILS approach to Glasgow's Runway 23 as the prevailing conditions required a CAT III-A Approach.

Our initial approach was uneventful and we were handed over to Glasgow Tower who cleared us to land at around 5 miles, moments after we had lowered our landing gear. We were intending on a flap 25 landing at 155 Knots, at around 4 miles I disengaged the auto throttle and took control of the throttle myself.

At around 3 miles the runway lights became visible through the fog, at 1.4 NM from threshold we became aware of the presence of another aircraft on the active runway. We spotted landing lights shining away from ourselves and identified this as an aircraft departing from Runway 23. I called for a go-around and disengaged the autopilot as due to the circumstances we would not be able to perform the published procedures, I increased the throttle as I pitched the aircraft up to climb away from the runway. At this time Air Traffic Control (Glasgow Tower) instructed us to go-around and the other aircraft to abort their take-off.

The other aircraft had passed V1 and was forced to continue, I had made an educated guess that the aircraft would continue it's take-off roll and would present a very serious threat to ourselves. I monitored our climb rate whilst making a non-procedural left turn to clear the departure end of the runway. Seconds later we received a TCAS Resolution Advisory instructing ourselves to climb. We were partially able to comply with this instruction, due to our current aircraft configuration. The RA had cleared several seconds or so later as we had turned south away from the airport, Glasgow Tower handed us over to Departure and in tern Approach Control and we made a second uneventful approach and landing at Glasgow.

It's actually the exerts from an incident report I filed post landing, those people who know me from A.NET Airlines & Fusion know I take simming ultra serious and try to make it as real as possible, just like the silly levels of details in my trip reports.

FYI, the aircraft was AI and continued it's takeoff as it was programmed to and ATC couldn't tell it to stop that was just added for effect. Though even on FS it's quite un-nerving to have an Airbus climbing out behind and below you with TCAS going mental.

Phil
FlyingColours

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 12):
At which point the sensible thing to do would be to go-around

At only 15ft (well between 8ft and 15ft) and the speed decaying it suggested by the MD11 OPS you touch down and use maximum breaking.

I have since landed at the airport three times and never had the issue again.

I think the main issue with my ‘crash’ was FSX being so more realistic then FS9.

Kimberly

jamesjimlb

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:27 am

Quoting Fabo (Reply 6):
Long hauls are good for studying in between TOC and TOD Smile Accounting, history of economics and international trade for me over the Atlantic!

I usually put on an "in-flight movie" on my TV, and study! haha

My most recent incident was out of MCO CO 752 bound for EWR, after waiting about 15 Min. in line, we got clearance to depart, upon passing V1 i notice the N1 on engine 1 had suddenly dropped well below engine 2, however i did pass v1 so i had to get airborne, once in the skies, my electronics clicked on and off 3 times, and my engine 1 had encountered a fire, i pulled the fire handle and followed the shutdown procedure, at which point the aircraft began to take a dive... some how AP had been turned on and my plane was headed down! i quickly switched AP off and regained controll, (about 100 ft. over Orlando) I lined up my approach and was coming in on the runway when my electronics shut out again, i had to fly into MCO on a night-time visual, came in well above the glideslope and floated for a good half of the runway, before bouncing to the ground, i quickly engaged thrust reverse but they weren't doing their job i came to a screeching halt at the end of the runway did a 180 turn and taxied to the gate,

Injuries---- None to my knowledge, however im sure there was a sprain or 2

kimberlyRJ
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 18):
It's actually the exerts from an incident report I filed post landing, those people who know me from A.NET Airlines & Fusion know I take simming ultra serious and try to make it as real as possible, just like the silly levels of details in my trip reports.

It seems like you had a lucky escape from a near disaster – very well handled, issue on approach is your going so slow and while you may have wonderfully powerful engines on the Boeing 767-200ER they take time to spoil up   something that I learnt in the worst incident I have ever experienced on FS.

I am very much the same with when on FSX, I make it as real as I can, I always think to myself it is a simulation and name a game... I always check the weather (I use ASX) and the planning of my flight (so pre flight brief I guess) can take anything up to an hour. I always use real world NATracks for the date I am flying. I keep it as real as I can – what’s the point otherwise? I also do a lot of flying on Vatsim – however since the release of Ultimate Traffic 2 I spend time most of my time flying with the ‘real’ world traffic.

Many moons ago (back in 2003) I had the worst incident I have ever experienced since I starting using FS in 1998. I was using ‘real world weather’ (with updates) and AI traffic – everything was set to ‘real’ or ‘realistic’ (as it always is on my FS programme).

I was operating a Trans World Airlines ad hoc flight (service number TW702 – the old flight number which was used by TWA on their LHR to JFK sector). My flight was departing from LGW to JFK in early March the equipment was a Boeing 767-205ER (reg N650TW - msn 23057 81) which started its real world life with Braathens being delivered on 23/03/1984 (reg LN-SUV). She had a mixed history after serving TACA, Varig and before joining TWA she flew for a short period with Britannia Airways and in the real world continues to fly for Air Seychelles). As you will read the aircrafts Flight Sim life ended in 2003 – thanks to a major incident on takeoff.

The weather on this Monday morning was like pea soup –in other words major fog. The published take off time was 08:15Z however due to adverse weather conditions (the fog) I simulated the inbound service running an hour late (lucky for me long haul flights tend to have a longer turn around time, so P&S (push and start) was conducted on time at 08:00Z

The fog had improved from around 40ft at its worst (hence the incoming flights landing being delayed), as I started my taxi the fog had lifted from 400ft to 600ft – I started my taxi to runway 08Right which took longer than normal due to reduced visibility (keeping things real I simulated ATC having reduced the maximum taxi speed).

I arrived at the end of the queue for runway 08Right at 08:25Z (my taxi was very slow and I had to wait for an aircraft to pass in front of me), with 2 aircraft ahead of me – this gave me time cross check my route, emergency take off procedures and reconfirming my NAT (North Atlantic Track) with OPS.

At 08:35Z I was next for takeoff, cabin was secure and the cabin crew were seated – I was ready to go bar the fact was told to hold for an MD83 on short final. As the aircraft passed and the fog was so thick all I could see was a faint flash of the beacon.

Seconds after I was cleared to taxi into position and hold, final checks were completed. Around a minute later ATC confirmed that visibility had reduced down to around 300ft – as I was lined up on the runway I was happy to go, knowing that other then the fog there was no other weather conditions of note, I did however decide to continue to use reduced thrust on takeoff, but decreased the ‘temp’ a little (so I will get more thrust on takeoff) using less of the runway as the whole time since I was cleared to enter the runway I was aware of another aircraft on approach behind me – a Boeing 737-400 from Frankfurt.

You will often find at busy times at LGW in real life an aircraft will touch down as this happens an aircraft waiting to take off will swiftly taxi onto the runway and hold for permission for takeoff with another aircraft on finals and cleared for landing... The second the landing aircraft is clear of the runway the aircraft holding for takeoff is cleared and accelerates off – I’ve been in a real world flight deck a number of times seeing the aircraft taking off ahead of us when we are on short finals – something that seems very close indeed!

Back to flight sim.

I was cleared for takeoff and only being able to see around 250ft to 300ft in front of me all looked clear. Take off thrust was set and I started pounding down the runway, the Boeing 762 passed 80kts quickly and shortly after (for a long haul – heavy aircraft) I passed V1 – about two seconds after this I saw the T tail of the MD83 (which had ‘cleared the runway) just off to the left of the centre of the runway, she was moving off the turning – very slowly though.

I applied maximum thrust and rotated hard back and swung the rudder hard so the nose of the aircraft went to the right – the whole time I knew all was fruitless and I would hit my aircrafts wing and maybe engine into the rear of the MD83.

My aircrafts wing hit the MD83 just missing the engine by a few meters but it was enough to paralyse my aircraft, I climbed to around 30ft before the left wing dropped and the aircraft crashed into the runway left wing first at around 140kts. The Boeing 737-400 which was at around 700ft was told to go around perform a none procedural turn to heading 180 immediately and climb to 3000ft (and await diversion instructions).

If this had been real world I don’t think anyone would have made it from my aircraft (so all 226 PAX, 10 cabin crew and 2 pilots died on my FS flight), the MD83 however may have been a different story.

PAX sitting at the very front of the aircraft (along with the FDC) would have been untouched by the wing – however I am guessing my wing would have sliced through the ‘T’ tail, if not the engines as well... So this aircraft lost say 98 pax out of 152 3 cabin crew out of 5 were also lost). The PAX and crew that did make it all needed hospital treatment, the majority needing to be hospitalised – many suffering from major burns or missing limbs).

The issue after looking into the incident (something I do, if anything goes wrong with one of my flights) was that I was cleared to take off from ATC and the pilot on the MD83 while thinking he had cleared the runway had not (and FS had thought the aircraft had also cleared the runway – something that has improved greatly over the years is the ATC simulation that comes with FS, the best being FSX).

I think if there had been an official investigation the blame would have been with ATC clearing me to take off, with the other aircraft still on the runway and also blame on the MD83 crew for switching to the ground frequency when still on the runway (even if taxing off it very slowly).

I have now updated my own policy. If there is heavy fog and the runway is being used for take off’s as well as landings I will wait 3 / 4 minutes from the point of being cleared for takeoff (if I can’t see the runway is clear – if I can, then I go when cleared).

Since this accident I have only had the other one, at the start of this ‘topic’ which is when I over ran the runway at KSAN...

Kimberly

EZEIZA

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:56 pm

I barely sim anymore since I honestly don't have the time, but every now and then I still fly a bit with my extremely basic knowledge, and the other day I decided to fly from KSFO to SVMI (Eva Air A330) and just as we started our descent for some reason we lost the left engine (again, I am very basic in this so I have no idea what could have caused this).
I still don't know how I did it, but I managed to land the plane nice and smooth (I even got the "nice landing" on fspassengers) and I got a big aplause from the pax 

FlyingColours

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Reply 21):
You will often find at busy times at LGW in real life an aircraft will touch down as this happens an aircraft waiting to take off will swiftly taxi onto the runway and hold for permission for takeoff with another aircraft on finals and cleared for landing... The second the landing aircraft is clear of the runway the aircraft holding for takeoff is cleared and accelerates off – I’ve been in a real world flight deck a number of times seeing the aircraft taking off ahead of us when we are on short finals – something that seems very close indeed!

Oh yeah I can second that, I used to be based at LGW at one point and I've done the jumpseat landings several times  

That sounds like an awful accident there. I bagged myself another incident last night too...

Was doing 'the evening shuttle' MAN-BRS on the 737-800W G-SBBA "Joceline", the weather in the UK last night was awful (and due to FS9 not downloading and installing the wx I had to manually do it myself), the visibility was down to 1.5NM and dropping in some areas, heavy snow, cloud base of 2,500ft, temp -3. I knew this was going to be a tough one.

The taxi out to 06L (now05L) was uneventful, aside from my F/D window heaters 'overheating' (I wasn't using the PMDG bird tonight). I got to the holding point and called in, I was cleared for takeoff straight away so I got into position and managed to make out the figure of an A300 moving across the active, had we been quicker getting on the runway that would have been goodnight Vienna. My troubles didn't stop there though...

Takeoff itself was uneventful but when climbing through 4000 our airspeed indicators zeroed out, I let the computer continue to fly the SID and I controlled the throttles manually, using my best judgement to keep us at a safe speed. I knew that the ASI would start working again and fortunately it did. The climb and cruise were uneventful.

The approach into Bristol was painful, I could hear a U2 flight heading in from the south and he was the same distance from the field as myself so I slowed up a bit more to give us some separation (knowing how the AI has no concept of approach speeds), as we pass 8000 we drop back into the cloud again, perfect. ATC continue to guide both of us in, U2 is ahead of us and now an FR has joined the queue behind us. We are not visual with any other aircraft, heck we could barely see our wings, but we do have them on TCAS. We are coming in full auto and the computer is doing a great job of bringing us in, around 5 miles out the easyjet lands, we get closer and I can now see it (just) and know that they are not getting clear so start to get ready for the go-around. ATC calls it and we follow the published missed app.

Round two, we are coming in again after some seriously long ass vectors which lead us over Brecon, the FR bird is close having had to go around too. They are getting handed over seconds after us every time but they are not showing in the close range TCAS, nor are they visual. They must be on the south side. We get handed over again to BRS APP, Joceline starts to fly herself on the Cat 3 approach, again everything is going smooth. I'm getting increasingly paranoid about the FR jet which I now know is close behind, we reach minimums and then Joceline plants herself firmly down on runway 09, I apply full reverse thrust as well as check the spoilers have deployed and that autobrake is working.

We are still not slowing down, the end of the runway is getting awfully close in the windscreen, I've started to jump on the brakes now, hoping that we don't go off. With less than 15 metres to spare we are passing through 20 knots, I breathe a slight sigh of relief but tap the brakes hard again to make the hard left hand 110 degree turn, the last exit.

The taxi back to stand was a quick one, as for the FR jet... he went around, again, poor sod  

Yeah I know it's a bit long winded and is not exactly going to wind up on a virtual version of Air Crash Investigation but it was my little "incident of the week"  

Phil
FlyingColours

UltimateDelta

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 pm

Here's the latest:

I was flying a Fed Ex 727 DSM-IND, and almost immediately after rotation on runway 13, the #1 engine failed, followed by #2. So with only #3 running, I tried to climb just a little bit to try to make it to a small GA airport about 2 miles away. Unfortunately, the engine began to overheat, and I reduced power too much and crashed flat on the belly about a mile frm the runway.

Fabo

Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:02 pm

You reming me of an incident I had several days ago. I was flying 727, too, and while cruising over Greece (I believe) on Jerusalem-Kosice flight, I was browsing the net. Thing is, while there, I ran out of fuel in wing tanks. (last check I still had 600 in both, but not KGs, as I mistakenly counted with, but pounds). Autopilot continued to hold FL360 and No.2 still held its regime - set for .8-.81 cruise. Losing 2/3rds of thrust lead to losing airspeed. As I switched back, I noticed airspeed being close to 190 knots and on the verge of stall, so I immediately pushed the airplane into descend, and attempted to restart engines. All in all, I lost about 4000ft of altitude until starting No.1 and leveling off, started No.3 and climbed back to 360. Rest of the flight was uneventful, apart from me screwing up the DME update procedure on my CIVA  

initious

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I was flying an Air Tahiti Nui Airbus A340-300 from Wilco Publishing, LAX-SXM. When landing for the first time, there was another aircraft at the runway so I executed a go-around and made a short final again for the approach to runway 9 (if you know how to change it to runway 10/28 please teach me ). I landed about 2000ft from the runway threshold and into the sea at the threshold of runway 27. Roughly 30-40 people killed (FsPX), my worst so far, after getting to know how to fly of course!

LASoctoberB6

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:26 am

Just last night, landing at PSP in a Janet 732. I was on approach with full flaps, everything set and all of a sudden my Number 2 engine got stuck (I don't know how) just above idle and caused the right wing to dip sharply. My remedies (for a problem I didn't understand why it was occurring or how)? Kick the rudder back and forth to keep the plane on somewhat of a course, and go full throttle to keep up the airspeed (which only made things worse). So, I crashed on the threshold. If it could happen, everyone died, the plane blew up. I still don't understand how the engine got stuck. I don't remember pressing E+2 or anything.

A333TS

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Few days ago I was landing a UPS B767-300ERF in foggy weather at 00:30, ILS approach. When fog cleared I noticed a tail of Dash 8 right in front of me also landing. ATC did not notify me of anything being in front of me and I was cleared to land.

When I saw the aircraft, autoland off, full throttle and elevator up. Collision avoided, but that was a close call.

A333TS

Fabo

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Accident report coming...

B737-800 OK-TVL flying PRG-KLV as non-scheduled air transport flight TVS315P

174 PAX OB, about 6t cargo and 5,5t of fuel on TO

Planned route LKPR BALTU LKKV, F100

The aircraft overran the landing runway 29 in LKKV/KVY, striking localizer antennae assembly and approach lights of runway 11.

Weather situation on LKKV airport at the time of accident:
LKKV 101900Z 26012G24KT 200V300 9999 RA FEW010 BKN015 14/12 Q1015

The cause of crash can be attributed completely to pilot error, as evident from flight summary:

Pushback and subseqent startup proceeded normally, at stand number 3 on LKPR/PRG airport, approximately 1810Z
Taxi to the runway in use (24) was rather erratic, resulting in frequent braking, raising the brake temperature.
At approximately 1815Z, aircraft entered runway 24. The crew applied thrust of approximately 70-80% N1, however, with failure to engage TOGA mode and TO CONFIG warning horn, crew rejected takeoff at approximately 25-35kts. Another such attempt was made, reaching approx. 45kts and slowing down to standstil.
Since the crew was unable to identify the cause of TO CONFIG warning, they elected to continue take-off anyway, disregarding low braking efficiency on last rejection. (crew error no.1)

On last take-off attempt, it was discovered, that the cause for being unable to engage TOGA mode was F/D on F/O side, that was switched off. After switching on the TOGA mode, take-off proceeded normally.

Approximately 20-30 seconds after gear retraction, Wheel Well alarm sounded. Fire bell was though not recognised as such by the crew, and burned-out lightbulb on captains FIRE WARN light lead captain to falsely believe the source was elsewhere.(error no. 2) According to captain, he initially believed the bell to be an audio marker indication - likely result of inadequate transition training from flying Russian jets.

After 2-5 minutes, crew finally identified the fire bell as the fire bell, identified a WHEEL WELL fire warning light, and extended gear, confirming memory items by way of Non-normal Checklist in QRH.

A decision has been made to continue to LKKV/KLV airport, failing to account for:
a) hot, possibly damaged brakes on main undercarriage
b) short runway in LKKV/KLV airport - usable landing length of only 1872 meters
c) precipitation in LKKV/KLV further reducing braking action

Approximately 20 minutes into flight, WHEEL WELL fire warning light extighuished.

Crew continued flight into an ILS approach and autoland onto LKKV/KLV runway 29, landed normally, engaged autobrakes, reverse thrust and spoilers. Noticing low rate of deceleration, crew failed to engage G/A power and attempt to take off. (error no.3). The aircraft left the end of the runway with speed of approximately 60-80 knots, crashed into LLZ antennae assembly and subsequently broke into pieces.

The chain of events leading to the accident is thus:
1) the crew decision to take off with hot brakes, rather than delay departure
2) the crew decision to land on a short, wet runway in LKKV/KLV rather than return to Prague, where a long, dry runway was available
3) the crew failure to recognise and react to imminent runway overrun due to low-to-no braking action available after landing

330guy

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:33 am

It was only a couple of weeks ago, I was flying my EI A320 from PRG to DUB, I was on a visual approach onto 34, The weather was not great but had no bearing on the flight other than a little bit of wind (hence using 34).
I disconnected the A/P and A/T as I was passing over Dun Laoghaire (Any DUB locals will know where im talking about) turned right for finals and was paying so much attention to getting lined up correctly I took my eye off the speed and stalled.

I will make no excuses it was a pure 100% case of pilot error....

Gingersnap

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Took at 738 into BHX about a week or so ago. Disconnected the A/P and A/T as we headed over the Chasetown area of south Staffordshire. Gusty approach, but nothing out of the ordinary. Everything was going well until windshear on short finals dropped us like a stone...

Yeah that didn't end well...

MIAspotter

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 am

A couple of years ago, I was doing some AA 757 flights out of MIA, I was inbound from SXM (or SJU can´t remember exactly), anyways, I was descending in preparation for a 27R approach and when I selected flaps 5, they did not move... I was using the POSKY 757 with Lonny Payne´s great 757 panel... I continued the descent but still I could not select any flaps whatsoever.

This panel has a little popup window where you can simulate a few aircraft failures (engine fire, Hyd failures, etc) at this time I decided to play along and selected a Hydraulic Failure, I did a non procedural circle to loose some speed and altitude and realigned with the ILS, of course with no flaps we would have to land with a bit of high speed, I selected autobrake to MAX (although with no HYD they may not work) dropped the landing gear manually by holding CTRL and hitting G repeteadly.

Touched down and slammed on the brakes and managed to stop with a bit of RWY left  

Taxied to our gate as normal and we lived another day.

MIAspotter.

captainmeeerkat

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:35 am

Took an SU MD11F from SVO to HHN last week. Had a light load, maybe 2/3 cargo and small amount of fuel for the 3hr journey.

Descending nicely south of FRA for a ARKOK 21B approach for RW21 from the north that required an almost 90 degree left turn . Long story short, after making the turn I was a little too high for the GS so AP off and I hurtled downwards  Wow! Landed 1/3 down the 9990ft runway at around 155kts with full autobrake and reverse but managed to end up with nose wheel on the soft stuff at the end! Fully sure that any cargo in the back was found only near the front after the force of that decel!

Have no idea why I didn't make it, the runway is shorter in FS that on the real world charts perhaps?  

babybus

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Reply 3):
Seems we all have issues with landing! :s

My last crash was on approach to NCE last December. It was night. The whole flight went really well from LGW and I was on schedule. Then suddenly on approach I must have run into windshear. Thumped down onto land with no warning signs at all.

None of my virtual passengers survived, except one who I was having an affair with. And I lost my virtual co-pilot. One of the worst nights of my virtual flying career.

Took a lot of getting over.  

cotparampguy

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 am

I was flying a flight with some friends from DEN to MEM in the Qualitywings 757. When I landed I forgot to switch off the autothrottles until almost the end of the runway and went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the end.

drerx7

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Just had a nose gear collapse and overrun operating Cargolux 771 JFK-IAH upon landing on 26L at IAH. Pity I scraped up the paint on their brand new 747-8F.

Fabo

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 pm

nose gear collapse on that young an airplane? OOoops...

ALTF4

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:49 pm

I've had FSX for a while but haven't flown much in it. Anyway, I decided to fire the lear up and fly in to my local GA airport (KRYY). I flew in from CHA. Weather was awful, flew what was probably an illegal ILS approach down to what was probably illegal minimums. About 1/4 mile from the threshold, the plane crashes into a tall high tension power mast. Scratching my head, I reset the sim to daytime and clear weather, and what do you know - there's a tall high tension power mast about 1/4 mile from the runway threshold, right down the center line.

I counted that one as FAA error for not showing the obstruction on the charts, or construction crew error.

I don't think any of us survived...

FlyboyOz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Landing!! it's so hard to land the plane and make it straight on the runway!! I can't do that like this!!