ElpinDAB
Topic Author

"Indie" FS Developers

Sun May 16, 2010 4:06 am

These days, there are more far more options for flightsim aircraft (and every other consumer product), it seems. I was once able to find any payware aircraft that I needed from a distributor like Flight1,Wilco (gag), and flightsim.com's simshop, or POSKY, etc. But these days, I seem to be finding far more projects that are focusing on developing quality payware FS aircraft.

I'll name some...

Qualitywings: http://www.qwsim.com/index.php/home
A development team that focused on offering a complete 757 package, with almost every available config and livery for the 757, along with decent FMS and systems simulations.

Airsimmer: http://airsimmer.com/
They released a much hyped, much disappointing A320 product last fall. I could go into the specifics, but most who own it already know, and those who don't...do your research. That aside, I still think that they will eventually release a bug-free A320 that beats anything out there. Already, their model and VC beats PMDG, imho, but it's very "buggy".

Next Level: http://nextlevel.wepax.com/
Currently developing an A380 for those who want a real A380 instead of the trash that Wilco and Overland have produced. It looks very nice in its V3 form, from the site's screenshots. I think this might turn out to be the best A380 available for FS, if/when it is released. Hopefully they don't pull an Airsimmer...   I have read in a forum post by the firm's founder that they intend to develop an A350 when more info is available for them to integrate systems accuracy.

Sim Check: http://www.simchecksoftware.com/
The name is horror for pilots having to study for twice a year tests, but the developer has a nice looking A300-B4-200 product. In fact, it appears to be far better than CLS's. (I have the A310...close enough.) I would consider it if I were enough of an A300 fan and/or had the finances.

Flight Sim Labs: http://www.flightsimlabs.com/
Apparently produces the best FSX (only) Concorde currently available. I still use FS9 and have a satisfying Concorde distributed through flight1, but this one looks incredible!!

So, with all of these nice aircraft available from sites that don't have much market visibility, how do you guys find the best aircraft for flight sim?

Are there any other nice "indie" developers worth mentioning on here? Who rivals Level D/PMDG?

Is flight simulation developing becoming "decentralized" and put more into the hands of those really care about what they are doing, like Indie music artists?

cpd

RE: "Indie" FS Developers

Sun May 16, 2010 9:00 am

Quoting ElpinDAB (Thread starter):
That aside, I still think that they will eventually release a bug-free A320 that beats anything out there. Already, their model and VC beats PMDG, imho, but it's very "buggy".

I met the group behind that, and tried a pre-release version ages ago. Awesome work, and it'll really be a world-beater if they can get it done.

Quoting ElpinDAB (Thread starter):
Flight Sim Labs: http://www.flightsimlabs.com/
Apparently produces the best FSX (only) Concorde currently available. I still use FS9 and have a satisfying Concorde distributed through flight1, but this one looks incredible!!

This lot is hardly one of those left-of-field developers. They used to be SSTSim. It's the same people, different name, with an ex-PMDG person thrown in, and Mr Level-D Simulations himself doing the user manuals. They are damn good. And they know everything there is to know about Concorde.

Burkhard

Mon May 17, 2010 9:23 am

Unfortunately many developers and publishers try to maximize their income per sale through direct marketing, assuming that on the internet one point of sales can reach the vast majority of costumors. This is plain wrong, I can tell after being in the market for more than a decade, and regret I only learned that a year ago. Put your online products into 10 points of sales ( Simmarket, flightsim, avsim, Aerosoft shop, flight 1 shop, PC Aviator, and a few more ) and you sell 8 times the number of copies.

ElpinDAB
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 1):
Awesome work, and it'll really be a world-beater if they can get it done.

I agree.
It's a beautiful aircraft when it functions properly. I'm looking forward to the A318/19/21, a few more patches, and the advanced version.

Quoting cpd (Reply 1):
This lot is hardly one of those left-of-field developers. They used to be SSTSim. It's the same people, different name, with an ex-PMDG person thrown in, and Mr Level-D Simulations himself doing the user manuals. They are damn good. And they know everything there is to know about Concorde.

Yea, I wouldn't really consider any of these to be "left of field" developers. I had no idea that the Flightsim Labs Concorde was developed by the SSTsim group though, but that would make sense. Judging by the screenshots you've posted on other threads, it does look similar to SSTsim, which I am very pleased to have for FS9. It's a wonderful product, so I can only imagine what they've done for FSX.

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 2):
Unfortunately many developers and publishers try to maximize their income per sale through direct marketing, assuming that on the internet one point of sales can reach the vast majority of costumors. This is plain wrong, I can tell after being in the market for more than a decade, and regret I only learned that a year ago. Put your online products into 10 points of sales ( Simmarket, flightsim, avsim, Aerosoft shop, flight 1 shop, PC Aviator, and a few more ) and you sell 8 times the number of copies.

Great point. They could probably reach a much larger group of people if they were to market through various other
distributors, but I wonder if this would increase the purchase price for consumers? For example, would Flight1 charge the developer a fee for using their distribution services? If so, then their logic for keeping everything in-house might be to decrease the price that consumers pay.

These developers seem to be trying to rely on their reputation alone, which is basically all they have,
except for reviews on various flightsim websites and magazines. I have basically relied on 'hype' from forums to allow me to discover these FS aircraft. But, a casual flight simmer who wants a new aircraft might choose the Abacus 787 over the Qualitywings 757 package, simply because they saw it on a simshop and had no idea that the QW 757 existed for a price tag that isn't significantly more.

Burkhard

Wed May 19, 2010 10:37 am

Shops like Simmarket or Flight1 charge a part of the income, typically. So the designer has the choice, according to my experience, to either get 300 times full sum or 2400 times 2/3 of the sum, so at a price of 30€ 9000 in direct sales or 48000€ when using all existing chains. No single shop really reaches a significant part of the market today. Americans often are afraid to purchase abroad, as are German or British or French... Many individuals who have good experience with one shop never will go to another, since everybody has had bad experience on the internet already.

9VSIO

Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am

I reckon IRIS can be considered an indie.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...