Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hnl-jack

RE: AA Fantasy Rebrand

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:27 am

No character or personality to this design at all. At least they recognized the importance of keeping the Eagle, but then caged it in a circle...terrible. As nearly everyone else has said, this is just bland, bland and bad.

questions

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:37 am

Seems like your focus group had lots to say... and that's what focus groups are for.

steex

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:10 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 39):
Hipster? That's what a lot of contemporary graphics look like. There's nothing hipster about mainstream. Do you consider Apple hipster?

The fantasy rebrand has a pair of horn rimmed glasses right in the middle of it for absolutely no reason! How could that not be interpreted as hipster?

Overall, I agree with many other folks here - this took all identity and history of a long-standing airline and threw it away. There is a lot about the AA brand to keep and I don't think it makes sense to reinvent the color palette. I would point to Delta's rebranding - they may have changed shades, but they kept the widget and red/blue color focus.

777way

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 am

Metrojet livery would have been good for AA, be it with the flag logo and American written using US Airways fonts or even with current American title and logo.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Howard Chaloner

YankeesFan

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 am

Well the livery is OK. Whoever designed it could have added more.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 6):
It screams JAL's new plain livery.

And Finnair. I think it's good. The overall simplicity/minimalism is a good projection for a company like AA.

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 13):

I like those from a personal point of view. But I think they're a bit busy, (especially that last 777). They can pretty much all keep the tail logos (though some shrinkage would be in order to quiet it down some), but go with a white fuselage section & smaller, blacker titles. I think the font is just about great on the first two.

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 15):

That is something that a lot of us forget, we just look at a livery and say "thats awful", I think we need to look at the entire brand package and all the applications to really make a good decision on whether we like the identity or not. After all, the livery on the aircraft is just part of the brand package.

Yup. What we're not seeing when we look at that 742 is what a great deal of them would look like at a terminal, with full signage and branding completed all over the place, years hence. And the truth is that yes, it very much does "mesh" with the overall theme being presented.

We may hate it because it's not pretty enough, but the truth is that what's presented all seems to match up nicely, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what real AA wants. Not saying they'd go for this exact design, but I wouldn't be at all surprised or disappointed if they took a page from JAL's book here.

Quoting VC10er (Reply 24):

This is not a fantasy: I know that an agency was already awarded a branding assignment, I do not know the scope but AA is doing something. My source is very reliable.

Right. But will it look anything like this is the big question. I'd be ok with it if it did, though maybe if we could shrink and alter the font. A simple "American" would be great. Not a big fan of no-caps for brand names myself.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 30):
It's like "Airline Brand" Airlines.

Lol, reminds me of a bar we used to go to called Airways Airlines

Hipster? That's what a lot of contemporary graphics look like. There's nothing hipster about mainstream. Do you consider Apple hipster?

Does that word even mean anything? Sounds like a made up buzzword folks use for something they don't like. I ask because I've never heard anyone self-describe with that word...

No no-name designer is going to *this* multi-billion $ account. Period.

Well, I think the contract is probably only going to be worth a few million. I can't imagine AA spending billions on that. And no-name or otherwise, if it happens in BK, they're going to go with the best bid they can get, name or no.

PHX787

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:28 am

CMHFlyGuy

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

I too am a fan and have been a fan of Brand New pretty much since its beginning. When I saw this on Friday favorites I have to admit I thought "how awful." The livery is just horrid. I don't get the woodgrain circle no matter how often I look at it or re-read Armin... or the designers... thoughts. I did find it amusing that the first fantasy livery link posted by kngkyle used much of the same palette as the featured designer.

aerokiwi

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:49 am

Quoting skycub (Reply 17):
It made me think of furniture.

Absolutely. I follow this design website too and the font would be ridiculed, let alone the lower case everything and "shove it in a circle" style.

This kind of minimalist, washed out colour approach usually lasts about 4-6 years before someone gets sick of it and just rejigs the whole thing. Same goes for the swooshy examples given above - guaranteed obsolescence in 5-4-3...

Of any airline in the world that does not need a new livery, it's AA. I just hope Boeing gives them a solution for the nacelles of the 787 - the white nacelle requirement is lame (yes I heard about the laminar flow etc etc but seriously, Boeing should come up with a solution with its many super brainy types).

garpd

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 am

I like the apparel, the tickets, counters, etc. The livery however is far too "Finnair" for me.
Too bland, too emotionless, no life, no sense of identity. It looks like a wet lease with temporary decals.

While we're in the realm of fantasy, it's time for me to dig out my fantasy designs.
These are purely designed for visual aesthetics. Nothing more. Although, the red tail was an idea to make the tail instantly recognisable from any distance at any airport. I notice at few airports, that today's AA tail just merges into the back ground noise of busy airports.

JetBlueGuy2006

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Quoting kngkyle (Reply 13):
As far as fantasy liveries go, I found these to be the most well done:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...3.jpg

Love the first two. Sleek and yet very simplistic and eye catching

Quoting SWALUV (Reply 36):
Saw these a couple day's ago, have to say these are my favorite logo's by far! Anyway the website looks cool and the boarding passes and baggage tags look amazing but, livery WAY to bland, reminds me of UA
star alliance. ( Not Hateing)

I like the redesign of the website a bit better. As many others said, the livery is too simplistic

Quoting garpd (Reply 59):
Saw these a couple day's ago, have to say these are my favorite logo's by far! Anyway the website looks cool and the boarding passes and baggage tags look amazing but, livery WAY to bland, reminds me of UA star alliance. ( Not Hateing)

The second one is really cool , the red is a bit too bright for my personal taste. but you are right, it does stand out.

Oshkosh1

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Keep the metal.
Go with Red/White/Blue...you know...the "American" part.

Keep it simple and classy.

More paint=more money...and adds weight.

garpd

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Quoting Oshkosh1 (Reply 61):

That's all well and good, but very short sighted. AA will HAVE to use paint sooner or later.
The 787 and A350 do not have metal skins. Future all-new aircraft are unlikely to return to metal skins either.

RE Paint versus Metal: The polishing, varnish and extra maintenance nullifies the weight advantage of bare metal based livery. AA are only bare metal out of tradition at this point, not some hokey performance or weight advantage. Don't believe everything you read on A.net.

[Edited 2012-09-02 09:20:03]

KaiTak747

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Just out of interest, how long have AA had their current livery for? They must be going for the record of the longest ever unchanged airline livery.

Back to the OP, love the website, very simple and stylish. I agree that the hypothetical livery is very unimaginative - only two colours!

For the 787, I think they will have to go down the same route as they did with the A300 - grey paint.

GARUDAROD

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:02 pm

What nobody here fails to mention, the designer is from Cyprus and probably has no idea on the historical
value of the red, white, and blue for American. They simply created a redesign based on "Their" ideals.
Another thing to consider, new aircraft like the B787 must be painted white in certain areas to check for
delamination of the carbon fiber. Look at the Qatar and Air India birds and you will see what I mean.

lostsound

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:15 pm

This issue here is that graphic designers have this new love for white space. It creates a modern and seek look on many applications, and I agree with that. However, airline liveries are a challenge and this does NOT apply 100%. Because aircraft themselves are such unique shapes as opposed to, I don't know, an Annual Report booklet (   ) , the application of white space has to be done correctly or not at all.

With the AA livery concept from the top link, on paper it looks intriguing and modern, but I guarantee that livery would look very awkward and unappealing on the actual aircraft. Aircraft get dirty, each aircraft shape is different so the white space you planned for may not look equal on other fleet types, and you risk the danger of losing your design amongst a sea of more visually interesting liveries. That's not good for airline business.

The designer should try using more intriguing shapes and use more of the canvas in my opinion. Black and white has this elegant modern look to it, however I think they need an accent colour in there as well. Then maybe their white space design will have a more complete and eye drawing look.

That is just my opinion as graphic designer myself.

[Edited 2012-09-02 10:16:28]

Mcoov

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 63):
Just out of interest, how long have AA had their current livery for?

Since 1969. That's 43 years.

There are other business that have had their logos unchanged even longer. My favorite is the now defunct Rock Island Railroad, who kept the same logo for 122 years.

united319

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 63):
Just out of interest, how long have AA had their current livery for? They must be going for the record of the longest ever unchanged airline livery.

It was unveiled in 1967 and I beleive it started to phase in 1968. AA Buffs, correct me if I am wrong please.

flybyguy

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting CapEd388 (Thread starter):
AA Fantasy Rebrand

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Exper...58225

I do like the new website concept. The aesthetic seems to fall in line with that of their new interiors, particularly their 777-300ER international product. The livery on the other hand completely dismisses the "American" part of the American Airlines brand. Any new livery has to incorporate the red, white and blue otherwise what's the point?

CapEd388
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm

As someone mentioned before, a lot of design people seemed to like and praise this fantasy re-brand while the majority of actual aviation people seem to really dislike this fantasy re-brand. I think this is a problem that is always present.

The designer might very well know a lot about graphic design and branding. She may know about fonts, color palettes, application etc., but I think she lacks knowledge about the company, about its history and the importance of the iconic red, white and blue color scheme. She might not understand AA's image and attitude, of being a "business like", "executive type" airline for which this new brand might not work.

Then again, this is her "fantasy" of how she would rebrand AA.

klmflighter

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi everyone, I have been working on this new livery for American Airlines for awhile, please check it out and give me your input, thank you. ULUdesign.

here's the link:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/American-Airlines-new-Livery/5017539

4engines4lnghll

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 pm

I found this livery, and i love it! Very hipster and modern id defiantly know this was AA if i saw this plane from a distance!

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...earch/photo_search.php?id=00015338

4engines4lnghll

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Out of all the designs here id have to agree this is the best livery concept yet.

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...inerphotos/photos/big/00014310.jpg

CapEd388
Topic Author

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Quoting 4engines4lnghll (Reply 72):

I like this livery. The only problem I have with it is the tail, the blue on blue doesnt really work. The blue "A" and the eagle might not be that visible with the blue background of the tail.

I say either make the "AA" eagle logo white or get rid of the "AA" and just leave the eagle logo kind of like klmflighter's (reply 70) design.

ckfred

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Here's my take, and I'm not a good enough artist or computer geek to design something visual.

Since the 787s must be painted, bite the bullet and go to a silver paint. I'm not sure if the silver mettalic paint the NW used on its last livery is the best choice, but it's a starting point in trying to find something that gives the aircraft the polished aluminum look.

Keep the striping, but change the shades a little. I've always thought that AA's red was a little too orange, and AA's blue was just a bit too violet. Try to find a truer shade of red, and a truer shade of navy blue.

Ditch the Helvitica font. It's a timeless font, but it's used a lot. I think a lot of airport signs around the world use Helvitica, so it gets a bit confusing between AA's signs and general airport signs.

Keep the eagle, but go back to the design from the lightning bolt scheme.

I'm open to the fuselage having "American Airlines", rather than just "American." I remember that DL scheme ahead of wavy gravy having "Delta Air Lines" or "Delta Express" on the fuselages, and I liked how it looked.

Finally, paint the Eagle aircraft in silver. United, Delta, and US Airways all paint commuter aircraft in the same scheme as mainline. If management wants to convey a new brand, both mainline and Eagle have to the same brand, including aircraft color.

CIDFlyer

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Quoting 4engines4lnghll (Reply 72):
Out of all the designs here id have to agree this is the best livery concept yet.http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...inerphotos/photos/big/00014310.jpg

I think I like this one the best...keeps the same basic's from the current livery and tweaks it a bit without losing too much of the brand identity. Painting the aircraft in Silver like NW used to do also would be the way to go.

Quoting ckfred (Reply 74):
Here's my take, and I'm not a good enough artist or computer geek to design something visual.Since the 787s must be painted, bite the bullet and go to a silver paint. Finally, paint the Eagle aircraft in silver. United, Delta, and US Airways all paint commuter aircraft in the same scheme as mainline. If management wants to convey a new brand, both mainline and Eagle have to the same brand, including aircraft color.

I definitley agree, paint the eagle aircraft the same as mainline. Gives more of a seamless operation like UA and DL do. Maybe make American stand out larger and put Eagle in a smaller font below, kinda like what Delta does.

us330

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:26 am

If AA does get rebranded, it needs to be a simple, timeless, classic look--something that doesn't scream a particular era. None of the proposed rebrands listed in any of the links does anything like that.
What I would like to see is a possible return to the lightning cheatline, although with a modernized touch to it. The eagle has to say in some shape or form--and too many of the proposed rebrands are simply too busy.

4engines4lnghll

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 76):

I don't think AA wants a boring/bland livery like all the other airlines.

AA94

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 am

Quoting 4engines4lnghll (Reply 77):
I don't think AA wants a boring/bland livery like all the other airlines.

No, they certainly don't. But I don't think that's what US330 is saying. A livery can be simple without being bland. Just look at their current color scheme. Very basic, but instantly recognizable.

SANAV8R

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 am

The fantasy portfolio - the branding looks good...for a ready-to-assemble furniture company or a trendy hotel. Not an airline.
It's too earthy. The wood grain symbolizes to me land and staying close to home. It's an airline, it should symbolize flight and movement. Yet, the design people praise the concept branding and website, but airline websites are notoriously practical and cluttered. Too little is not enough. For example, Virgin America had a very simple site in its early days of flying and since changed.

Whatever happens, I feel that the eagle will stay. Many companies that redesigned or debuted their brand image in the same era which AA introduced their present eagle logo and sans serif font (late 60s/early 70s) - they tend to have unusual longevity and instant recognition. A lot survive (many of the Saul Bass logos are prime examples) with tweaks over the years, primarily in dimension aspect thanks to the introduction and improvement of computer aided graphic design programs.

klmflighter

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:42 am

Here's another design with the famous stripe:

rj777

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 am

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to roll out something new with their first B773.

CapEd388
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 am

Quoting klmflighter (Reply 80):

I really like the first one, that would be a nice and subtle upgrade for AA. Great job!

infinit

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 am

Its experimental and a radical change. I doubt AA would go that way although it might do well. If they do, it would be a very costly rebranding campaign, a lot would need to be spent on advertising too because they would need to communicate this new image well or it won't work.

Personally I don't like this, not for AA. I always saw AA as being a very American brand, think a whole lot of red, white and blue.

Rather than a whole new brand image, what if AA shrunk? Perhaps putting a lot of the shorter and poorer-yieldings flights to American Eagle and keeping the high-yielding routes on AA, making it a very premium brand?

I'd love to see AA offering a high quality premium product, like caviar and fine wines in First Class like many of the leading international airlines