Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

woody1974
Topic Author

Diecast Preferred Models Questions

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Morning all,

A quick question for those of you who collect diecast models. What brands are preferred?

Also which are the best sites to source these planes?

I have found a bunch on fleabay.

Thanks,

Woody

n729pa

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm

It depends on the scale, generally 1/200 are pretty good. 1/400 the main brands are generally reliable. I also look at the wheels. A good diecast model has good life like wheels, a cheap one doesn't. Be careful on fleabay, the pictures don't also match when you get, if it's too cheap it probably is.

Personally I like collecting the Skymarks resin 1/200 models. But most live in their boxes. I learnt this from collecting diecast racing cars, where I prefered the larger 1/18 scale over the 1/43s. After a bit they take up a lot of space too.

Recently brought a Gemini 1/200 Qantas A380.....it's big and heavy, beautiful detail though. Huge box too. Won't be collecting too many that size!

Gemini, Dragonwings, Herpa are generally pretty good. My tip to anyone these days is quality rather than quantity. I would love to buy more of them, but space is an issue so it's tends to be just special ones these days for me, especially if they happen to be aircraft I've flown on.

Happy collecting!

AR385

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Quoting Woody1974 (Thread starter):
What brands are preferred?

I preferr in 1/400

Gemini Jets
Phoenix
Blue Box
JC wings
Dragon Wings

In that order. I find Dragon Wings the worst and I generally avoid them. In my view, they lack detail, and have too much plastic in them.

Aeroclassics is an excellent brand if you want old liveries, gone airlines and such.

In 1/200 the best are Gemini 200 in terms of value. Inflight 200 is also a nice brand but they are too expensive in my view. In general I do not collect 1/200 because they can be cumbersome. They are big and heavy and easy to damage. You also need a lot of space. I only get certain models for sentimental value. For example, I got the LH 747-400 from Inflight 200 because it is D-ABVP and I flew on that plane myself a couple of times.

In terms of where to source them, there is this database called Wings900, look it up. It has all the info. you may need if you are a serious collector. Check it before you make a purchase.

I agree, avoid fleabay.

My main suppliers I can tell you via PM or contact me.

Kuja

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 2):

I would agree with this, particularly the quality not quantity point.

I collect mainly 1/400 and 1/500 models together with a few special models in larger scales. 1/200 models are nice, but impractically large in many cases.

For 1/500, Herpa Wings has a very large range and are generally good, but I personally prefer Inflight500 models.

I have generally found GeminiJets and Phoenix to be the best 1/400 models, with Herpa, Hogan, and Blue Box following closely behind. JC Wings and Jet-X are generally good too. Dragon Wings is more mixed. They tend to have plastic wings rather than all metal and are generally more delicate. They do tend to have removable landing gear, though, which gives the option of displaying them in-flight, which can be nice.

AeroClassics is generally good, with nice detailing, and it has a pretty unique range, but I have found the landing gear on them to be very fragile, to the extent that I have most of my AC models on stands as the act of putting them on their gear has caused the wheels to fall off on multiple models.

For 1/200, the market is broadly split into plastic models and die-cast metal models, with the latter being far more detailed but also far more expensive. Hogan Wings have a nice range of plastic models that can usually be displayed with gear or in-flight. SkyMarks are also decent. I would recommend avoiding Flight Miniatures, though, as they lack detail. For die-cast, Gemini200 are very nice. Inflight200 and Blue Box are also very good, but very expensive.

It is worth noting that the latest models are generally much better than the earlier ones, regardless of scale or brand. Printing technology has moved on rapidly, and the detail of the moulds has also improved greatly over the past decade, so some of the older models that you may find on eBay may not be up to the standards of the newest releases.

In terms of suppliers, I have been impressed with ezToys (US), Aviation Retail Direct (UK) and Scale Model Store (NL).

woody1974
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for the detailed responses!

CXB77L

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:36 pm

It also depends on what aircraft you're after. I collect 1/400s, and in my view, Phoenix makes the best 777, 767 and A380 but the worst 747; Aeroclassics makes the best A330/A340 classsics, while Phoenix and Herpa make the best A340NG. Gemini Jets make very good 777-200/777-200ER/777-300 and 767 but I would avoid their 777-200LR/777F/777-300ER.

I tend to avoid JC Wings as I generally collect widebodies only - and JC Wings' 1/400 widebodies are rather, shall we say, poor. But they do have good Fokkers.
Boeing 777 fanboy

airportugal310

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:57 am

I too like the Skymarks 1/200 resins. Have my HA A330 and a 1/100 HA B767 w/ winglets on top of my fridge

I also have a Gemini Jets HA A330 too for good measure  
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

zkojq

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:58 am

What brands are preferred?

My order of preference:
JC Wings.
Phoenix.
Gemini200 or GeminiJets
AeroClassics.

Wittywings (Historically I haven't found them to be too good, but recently I bought one and found it to be reasonably good).
SkyMarks. (Not really that detailed; and they aren't diecast).
DragonWings. (I only get them if a livery/registration can't be found elsewhere).

I mainly get 1:400 models since they are comparatively easy to store. 1:200s are nice to have but they take up loads of space; best to only get them when a special airline/livery/aircraft combination comes up.

Also which are the best sites to source these planes?

These two are my favorite. The first in particular is very good; loads of cheap ones (less so by the time I have them shipped to New Zealand) that are of decent quality. The Collection Sale (second hand) section is good because a lot of the models there are otherwise quite difficult to find. Must have spent a few thousand USD at this place over the past two years.  Wow!www.airparadigm.com
www.eztoys.com
First to fly the 787-9

WesternA318

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Big scales I love my Pacmin and Atlantic Models, and a few of the Executive Display models offered by the Airplane Shop. 1/200 my original was Wooster and Flight Miniatures (back in the day), now it's Skymarks and Hogan Wings for me. I've just barely started getting into the Gemin200's and Skymarks Executive models (my personal fave so far is the Gemini200 TWA 767-200 and Delta A330-300). I have a single JC Wings 1/200 model, of Astraeus' Iron Maiden "Ed Force One" 757-200. Love it! Since I'm a huge fan of long gone airlines, Aeroclassics has the majority of what I look for, with Dragon/Jet-X and Gemini coming behind. One thing with Aeroclassics and the Blue Box models, you have to be careful with their landing gear and stablizers, they will come off quite easily. 1/500 scale I ave a lot of Herpa Wings, and about 3 cabinets full of 1/600 Schabak models.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:43 pm

My own preference is for models of long-gone carriers, a lot of US 70s-80s, which is what I grew up with and first flew on. My budget and space allow for mostly 1:400 die-cast models, though I have some resin 1:200 and 1:250, which are what I started with. I'm an artist and make about 1:300 out of paper and colored pencils for a/c I can't find online.  

Here's my contribution to the discussion:

Gemini 1:400 narrowbodies tend to be very good, but I've been disappointed by their jumbos and refuse to buy any more of them. They make clunky landing gear and poorly-painted wings on jumbos, that are not worthy of their excellent fuselages. (I did buy an AA new-colors 773 because only Gemini is making them right now, but I'll replace and sell it once Dragon or someone else does.)

Aeroclassics, JetX, and Dragon Wings jumbos tend to be excellent on the wings and landing gear. Their fuselages are slightly less detailed than Gemini's--don't have all the lights, etc. But their colors tend to be better than Gemini's. Most of my jumbos are these three models. I am selling off my Gemini jumbos as I replace them. I like that these manufacturers include stands for jumbos (Aeroclassics doesn't on the narrowbodies I've bought).

Flight Miniatures 1:200 are fun, but as noted above are less detailed than Hogan. I have some fun 70's and 80's FM's. I have a couple of Hogan 1:200 for my 'flagship' models.

Has SkyMarks ever learned to print a straight row of windows or cheat line? I've gotten four of their models as gifts, and will not buy any more of them. Would somebody else please make a resin 1:200 AC EMB-190?

As noted above, newer models in general tend to be better quality than old.

If you shop on E-Bay, be sure to look at the pictures. Remember that if the seller lists the model as mint / new, and it comes with scratches or other damage, that means it came "not as advertised." E-Bay policy allows you to return it even if they say 'no returns.' I've yet to have a seller refuse to take back a damaged model. They don't want negative feedback.

A pet peeve: beware when shopping for used Dragon / JetX / Aeroclassics 747-100 and -200's. Be sure the model has its wingtip antennae. These are delicate and often broken. I insist on buying only undamaged models.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

WesternA318

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 9):
A pet peeve: beware when shopping for used Dragon / JetX / Aeroclassics 747-100 and -200's. Be sure the model has its wingtip antennae. These are delicate and often broken. I insist on buying only undamaged models.

One thing of noticed about newer AeroClassic models, the landing gear seem to always come off in transit and I always have to ask to replace the model for that cause alone! This has happened to the last 3 models I've bought (Pan Am A300 "Clipper Houston", Avianca A330-200, and Western 727-200). A few of the sellers even admit they get quite afew models from the distributor that way, but they usually send me a replacement ASAP. Best seller so far Ive worked with is justplanefun. They are great at working out any issues we might have.

mayor

Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:07 am

I wish there were more 20s, 30s and 40s diecast models out there.......I've only been able to find a couple. Matter of fact, I wish DL offered their Travelaire, Stinson A and T for sale in diecast.

Anyone seen anything like this?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

WesternA318

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 11):
I wish there were more 20s, 30s and 40s diecast models out there.......I've only been able to find a couple. Matter of fact, I wish DL offered their Travelaire, Stinson A and T for sale in diecast.

Anyone seen anything like this?

I wish...Although I did find a somewhat rarity among DL folk....a 737-300 1/400 scale of the hybrid Western/Delta logo that appeared during 1986/87 while the merger went through. In act, onmy office desk I have the WA 733, the hybrid 733, the Widget 733, and the wavy gravy 733 all lined up, underneath my framed Douglas Neilson painting of a Bud Light WA DC-10-10.

NYCAAer

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I've been collecting 1/200 diecast for as long as it's been a hobby, after collecting 1/200 plastic snap-fits, as they were all that was available before.

In 1/200, I find Gemini Jets to be the best value for the money, and they have fewer QC issues. Inflight 200 has some nice releases, especially older airlines/airliners, but they tend to be expensive, and I have a few by Jet-X, JC Wings and Hogan diecast, because Hogan was the only company to make the Concordes and Caravelles I was looking for. Hobby Master makes a lot of retro prop airliners, but they can be very inaccurate. The AA DC-6 was a disaster, and I didn't even consider buying it, and their A310 mould was another fiasco.

I have way too many models, and collect only airlines/aircraft that have special significance to me. Since I fly for AA as an F/A, I have 1/200s spanning the history of AA from the DC-3 to the present, plus a few of BA, AF, DL, AC, PA, US, WN and EA, and it's out of control. Since I live in a small apartment in Manhattan, they take up a lot of room. I have 777-200s, 777-300s, L-1011s, and 767-300s, and the boxes for the 777s in particular are huge.

I'm thinking of putting some of my 1/200s up for sale on fleaBay, just to have more room in my closets, and am replacing some of them with the smaller 1/400s. I also find with the 1/400s, there is more variety, and it's easier to store them.

I recommend shopping online from the various retailers who specialize in diecast aircraft, there are a good number of them in the US, and I've had good luck with them all, though I do have my favorites, too, who offer very personal service.

fanofjets

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:24 pm

This is a hard question to answer, as the top diecast model depends on the aircraft modeled and when the model was released. Therefore, it is important to compare brands and scales for a specific aircraft. In 1:400 scale, Gemini Jets and Aeroclassics stand out. Generally speaking, the newer releases are better than the older ones. I am not a fan of Herpa (in 1:400 or 1:500) as the tails on these models are plastic and may not hold up too well. My least favorite is Dragon Wings, as I cannot abide the plastic wings. The quality is also iffy, though their newer releases have improved greatly. When I am interested in a particular model, I check it out on Google Images. The Magic Model GE Boeing 747-121 was a nightmare, with a huge gap between the wing and the fuselage. Propliner fans should be aware that the newer Aeroclassics releases (e.g., Boeing Stratocruiser) have plastic fuselages - for shame! In short, one has to do a fair amount of research to ascertain the quality of a particular model, regardless of the manufacturer. In some cases, if you are looking for a particular airframes and airline, though, one may not have a choice of models.

In 1:500 scale, Star Jets and Inflight 500 are quite good; Inflight 500 does have superior detailing, though, so they get my vote. The Herpa 1:500 line I avoid - tundra tires are for Piper Cubs, not airliners.

For the 1:200 scale market, I am not an expert. I have airliners by Inflight/Aviation 200 and Gemini Jets - again, the quality varies according to the release, so check out pictures and comments online! Some of the newer propliner relases, such as the Antonov An-12 have plastic fuselages, in my mind a no-no. Online, I have seen problems with Western Models.

When purchasing on evilbay, google the description! I have seen many mistakes; before bidding or purchasing, make sure you know exactly what you are getting.

Happy collecting!
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Quoting NYCAAer (Reply 13):
I have way too many models, and collect only airlines/aircraft that have special significance to me.

I don't think of myself as having too many models, just not enough space.   I've gone to buying only 1:400, unless I can't find some especially personally significant a/c and airline in 1:200. I have taken to grouping my models by era: a 90s-present group atop one filing cabinet; 70s-80's atop another; personal history atop another; and two overflow places. Thankfully, I have a small attic closet in which to store the boxes.

Home Depot has clear plexiglas sheets and wood for making reasonably-priced display shelves. When your filing cabinet tops are full, go upwards.  
Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 10):
One thing of noticed about newer AeroClassic models, the landing gear seem to always come off in transit and I always have to ask to replace the model for that cause alone!

Thank you for the warning! I haven't had that problem with an AeroClassics model yet. I do have a Gemini 1:400 Aeroflot IL-62 for which the back fuselage landing gear wouldn't stay in. I had to dab a little glue stick on it for it to stay in. I recently bought a Gemini 1:400 C-5 for which I had to use a tweezers to attach 16 landing-gear tires to gear. Somewhat annoying.

Quoting fanofjets (Reply 14):
When purchasing on evilbay, google the description! I have seen many mistakes; before bidding or purchasing, make sure you know exactly what you are getting.

Especially watch out for transitional-livery models. Sometimes those are available cheaper--and I'm guessing it's because they're less popular. I once accidentally got a Texas International DC-9 with transitional Continental titles on it, because I didn't read the description closely.

Jim

WesternA318

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 15):
Especially watch out for transitional-livery models. Sometimes those are available cheaper--and I'm guessing it's because they're less popular. I once accidentally got a Texas International DC-9 with transitional Continental titles on it, because I didn't read the description closely.

I have the entire set of these Aeroclassic -9's...All 9 of them...I finally found a display case to put them all in, with the rest of my Continental collection.

DCA-ROCguy

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 16):
I have the entire set of these Aeroclassic -9's...All 9 of them...I finally found a display case to put them all in, with the rest of my Continental collection.

I have at least two of the Aeroclassics ones; the TI and the Midway red-scheme. TI to represent its carrier for the 70's, and Midway because it served my home ROC. I have a few other 1:400 DC-9's, but I think they're all by other manufacturers. I collect a lot of American, US Airways & predecessors, and United, because they were historically big at home ROC.

I just got a Phoenix 1:400 Turkish 773 that has a loose bogey, but I pressed it in, and it seems to be staying. Wish they included a stand. When a maker doesn't include a stand, I make stands by cutting, filing, and twisting a piece of coat hanger. Usually have to wrap a little piece of packing tape around the tip to get it to fit snugly. Works like a charm for models with a circular stand-hole, and adjustable. My Geminis, for instance, are on these homemade stands.

Doesn't work for Dragon Wings, though with their oblong stand-hole, but they include a stand.

Jim

WesternA318

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 17):
I have at least two of the Aeroclassics ones; the TI and the Midway red-scheme. TI to represent its carrier for the 70's, and Midway because it served my home ROC. I have a few other 1:400 DC-9's, but I think they're all by other manufacturers. I collect a lot of American, US Airways & predecessors, and United, because they were historically big at home ROC.

Nice!

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 17):
I just got a Phoenix 1:400 Turkish 773

Ohh nice! I havent bought any Phoenix models yet, I'm just getting around to JCWings and the Iron maiden 757 in 1:200. My last model bought is my new 1/100 from Atlantic models of MEA's A330-200 F-ORMA, complete with inscribed plaque.

bunumuring

Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:19 pm

G'day fellow A.netters!
I collect 1/400 only and buy from all brands. Yes, I compare carefully if I can: if there are competing brands offering the same model, the quality of the model itself is the determining factor, not the brand. Last year I compared two different brands' NWA 787-8 models in the shop I predominantly buy from as I a regular customer who the staff know.
My latest purchases? Two days ago I bought a Jetstar 787-8 (bit disappointed with the detail, but I simply had to have it!) and an RAAF C-130H with special tail markings... Tomorrow I hope to buy an Aeroflot IL-62 with Olympics markings (a theme of mine) and possibly a Qantas 707-138 (the ex-Southend one for those who understand) to go with my John Travolta QF 707 (N707JT)...
Keep smiling!
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

bunumuring

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 am

Update:
Just bought an Eva Cargo A380 freighter in 1/400 scale, from a brand I haven't bought before - 'Magic'. Not the best detail or quality but wow! I'm impressed!
I also bought a USAF BBJ in VIP colours ... Nice Herpa model...
However, I rejected a NWA 757-300 in the last NWA colourscheme due to the poor quality of the finish ... I think it was Dragon Wings...
Keep smiling!
Bunumuring

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 18):
Ohh nice! I havent bought any Phoenix models yet, I'm just getting around to JCWings and the Iron maiden 757 in 1:200. My last model bought is my new 1/100 from Atlantic models of MEA's A330-200 F-ORMA, complete with inscribed plaque

The detail is very good on the TK 773, and the tail is a little better shaped than Dragon's 773's. I have a Dragon Emirates 773 and it's fine, but Phoenix's tail is just a little better shaped. I have a Witty Wings Swissair DC-10 on order that should arrive soon. Does Witty Wings include a stand? I also have a JCWings Alitalia DC-10 on order; I'll learn about their quality when it arrives. It looks very good in the photos.

And I'll repeat my rant about Gemini's 1:400 American 773 in the new Greyhound Scheme. Why on earth haven't they corrected their clumsy-looking, shoddy jumbo bogeys? The gear on Gemini's narrowbodies is fine (except one 757 I have, also clumsy bogeys). As soon as Dragon or Phoenix come out with an AA 773, I'll replace it.

Would that I had the space for more 1:100! Maybe someday.  

Jim

[Edited 2014-01-16 06:52:36]

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 20):
However, I rejected a NWA 757-300 in the last NWA colourscheme due to the poor quality of the finish ... I think it was Dragon Wings...

That may be a difficult paint scheme to render to scale, because the silver is 'sparkly.' It looks a bit 'particley' on the Gemini NWA 753, but that may be tough to avoid.

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 19):
Tomorrow I hope to buy an Aeroflot IL-62 with Olympics markings (a theme of mine)

If you're talking about the Gemini 1:400 one, I have one. It looks great. The bogeys are fine, just beware, the rear gear might not stay in without a dab of glue stick.

Jim

MIAspotter

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I also collect mostly 1:400s and make an exception when a model is rare or with sentimental value (I bought a Viasa DC10 in 1:200 and it´s HUGE!)

I am now concentrating on collecting just 787s and A380s from all the operators, I have pretty much the A380s covered except LH and MH, and just started with the 787s of which I only have 6 so far (NH, UA, LO, LA, BA and a CZ which I just ordered today)

The A380s are mostly Phoenix, I think they have the best A380 mould, but I also have 3 GeminiJets (EK, BA and QF)

As for the 787s save the NH which is Phoenix, the rest are GeminiJets which doesn´t matter since both Phoenix and GJ use the same mould, the CZ I ordered today is made by WittyWings and I have no clue what they are like.

I have a few 1/400s that I might sell off, if anyone is interested I can make a little list.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

bunumuring

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:52 am

Hi MIASpotter,
I am definitely interested in your list for sale...
UPDATE: just bought the Aeroflot IL-62 with Olympics markings - great model, very happy. Looks great next to my Air Koryo IL-62!
Keep smiling,
Bunumuring.

MIAspotter

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 24):

Thanks!  

I am at work now, but from the top of my head...

Virgin Atlantic B747-400 and A340-600 in the old silver livery, comes in a tin box with a certificate, I don´t recall the regs on both of them but looks like this.

http://www.geminijets.com/photo.php?id=GJVIR506.jpg
http://www.geminijets.com/photo.php?id=GJVIR507.jpg

Virgin Blue 737-800W with the old livery (phone number on the fuselage)
http://www.geminijets.com/photo.php?id=GJVOZ560.jpg

Ryanair 737-800 no winglets, it is a GeminiJets model released by Tucano.
http://www.diecastairplane.com/store/p/331-Ryanair-737-800-1-400.html

Ugh, this are just the ones from the top of my head, tonight when I get home, I´ll update the list with the rest.

MIAspotter.
Nos vamos de Vueling?

bunumuring

Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:15 am

Hi MIASpotter,
Interesting list ... looking forward to seeing the complete list! I like the sound of the Virgin 737 ...
Keep smiling!
Bunumuring
PS: does anyone else collect 1/400 diecast military aircraft alongside civil aircraft???

WesternA318

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 21):
And I'll repeat my rant about Gemini's 1:400 American 773 in the new Greyhound Scheme. Why on earth haven't they corrected their clumsy-looking, shoddy jumbo bogeys? The gear on Gemini's narrowbodies is fine (except one 757 I have, also clumsy bogeys). As soon as Dragon or Phoenix come out with an AA 773, I'll replace it.

I just recieved the AA 773, and the bogeys dont look too bad, maybe theyve fixed the problem?

DCA-ROCguy

RE: Diecast Preferred Models Questions

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 27):
I just recieved the AA 773, and the bogeys dont look too bad, maybe theyve fixed the problem?

Maybe. The ones on mine have a crude triangle of gray metal where there should be a strut. But my Phoenix and Dragon Wings 773's both have a properly-modeled gear with strut.

Just got my JC Wings 1:400 Alitalia DC-10. I'm going to give it a B. Good fuselage detail and colors, good wing and engine detail. But the bogeys lack their struts, and the tail is cut a bit too high and at an angle.

Jim

bunumuring

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:03 am

G'day fellow A.netters,
Just received word that Dragon Wings are not being distributed in Australia any more as the importer has 'dropped them'. Can anyone confirm if this is true or false? This information came from a hobby shop manager.
Thanks.
And an update ... Yesterday I bought a FedEx A310F, Thai (Landor livery) MD11, Continental 757-300 and a NAS SAAD A340-600 biz jet. All top quality. So happy, especially with my first 757-300 model and my first A340 biz jet!
Keep smiling,
Bunumuring

LH707330

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 19):
and possibly a Qantas 707-138 (the ex-Southend one for those who understand) to go with my John Travolta QF 707 (N707JT)...

Are these available as die-cast? If so, did they accurately do the hush-kits on the JT3Ds? The Southend 707 story is absolutely amazing, it prompted me to do one in 1:72. The plane is quite different from the original configuration and the scheme has many subtle changes, so I'm curious to know how accurate either that one or the Travolta one ended up.

bunumuring

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:48 am

Quoting LH707330 (Reply 30):
Are these available as die-cast? If so, did they accurately do the hush-kits on the JT3Ds? The Southend 707 story is absolutely amazing, it prompted me to do one in 1:72. The plane is quite different from the original configuration and the scheme has many subtle changes, so I'm curious to know how accurate either that one or the Travolta one ended up.

Hi LH707330,
Yes, that particular plane is available as a 1/400 model in what I perceive to be the correct colourscheme.
Sorry, I am not sure how accurate the model is.
BTW, I have just ordered a British Airways 777-200ER in the African 'Animals' Utopia/World Tails colourscheme to add to my collection of BA models. I now have 16 of the 28 main 'tails' covered! Over half way, phew!
Keep smiling,
Bunumuring.

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm

One thing I wish sellers of die-cast models would do more often in online listings would be to include a photo of the underside of the model, so that I can see the landing gear. BTW the A380 landing gear on Gemini's models look fine--a seller included a back view of a BA one that showed proper color and detail.

I just got my first Witty Wings models (KL 744 in current colors and Swissair DC-10 in 80's colors) and their gear are very good. The base of Witty Wings stands are a little small for jumbos, but I'm just glad they include a stand at all. Dragon's stands are my favorites--wide base and sturdy pillar.

Jim

LH707330

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:21 am

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 31):
Yes, that particular plane is available as a 1/400 model in what I perceive to be the correct colourscheme.
Sorry, I am not sure how accurate the model is.

After consulting the oracle (google images), I can confirm that it's actually relatively good for a 1:400 model. They got the blanked windows right on the port side, as well as the added window to starboard. The only three mistakes I noticed on the model were the omission of the starboard HF antenna, which was on the first 11 QF -138Bs, the short bypass ducts (no hush-kit), and they put the eagle logos on the inside of the cowlings, while the real deal only has them outside. The John Travolta model has the same trailing spade nose gear as the Southend 707, while the real one had the rectangle doors, but that's a relatively minor mistake.

What's funny about the box art on the VH-XBA model is that they got the antenna and nose gear doors wrong, so it must be a picture of the Travolta one with the other livery photoshopped on, or some other such issue. I'm assuming you've seen the site VH-Jet #1 and her sisters? This story was the big inspiration for my kitbash project, absolutely fascinating read.