einsteinboricua
Topic Author

FS9/X And Win 7/8

Fri May 09, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm looking into buying a computer just for FS, but I've been hesitant to do so particularly because I'm not sure if FS2004 and FSX will run without issues on Windows 7 and/or 8.

Anyone have these versions of FS installed on a recent Windows system who can tell me of any issues, if any?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

csturdiv

RE: FS9/X And Win 7/8

Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm

I no longer sim and no longer have my gaming rig, but I ran both FS9 and FSX on a W7x64 quad core i7 with 16GB RAM and dual 1GB Radeon video cards with no problems. While both versions did not take advantage of the hardware my rig had, both were running fine. Only problem that I had, which is a well documented one for both FSX and FS9 on Windows 7 is some weird extra steps to install scenery. But other than that, no problems. FSX was starting to come into prime, I was heavily into having my AI tweaked to realistic carriers and routes and over the past couple of years some really great FSX native AI models and textures have been released that made the airport eye candy even better.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

mighluss

Fri May 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Running FS2004 in Windows8 and working fine.

Found that a new midprice laptop works fine with high level graphics, when my "very expensive" PC from 2002 worked very hard with medium graphics. (sounds obvious, not?)

Altough, it crashed couple times.
Miquel.

FSXJunkie

Sun May 11, 2014 4:46 am

I had no problems with FSX on Win7 (desktop) and Win8 (Surface Pro)

I ran both installs as Administrator with UAC disabled, no issues. My desktop (i7 950 at 3.07GHz) install has a ton of add-ons (every PMDG, all of MSE 2.0, all Aerosoft US cities) on it and runs fine. I'm keeping the Surface install largely stock with just some TDS aircraft inserted and no issues (more than adequate for casual flying on the go.)

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun May 11, 2014 4:55 am

Well, I went and got a computer just for FS. It has Windows 8, but seeing the replies here, it seems Win8 won't be a problem. Many have recommended that I go with FS9 instead of FSX, but until I get a monitor and the driver, I don't think I'll be using the computer so plenty of time to think it over.

[Edited 2014-05-10 21:56:43]
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Fabo

Tue May 13, 2014 12:49 pm

DON'T do FS9. That is a dead software, more than 10 years old. There is not a single reason anymore to stay on it.

meanwhile I would rather recommend Windows 7 as there are some reports of erratic behaviour of Windows 8, but that might not apply anymore with 8.1 (perhaps. I don't know. I have 7 and I won't be changing anytime soon)
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 am

I'm using FSX on a Win7 64-bit Ultimate and personally my experience is that FSX works much
better under win7 then it ever did at WinXP, a 64/bit OS is also capable of handling large
amounts of RAM which is a good benefit for FSX.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

nighthawk

Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 am

I just recently tried to get back into flight sim, and installed FSX on my desktop running Windows8.1. It has not been as straightforward as I hoped, and I have had a number of issues. After numerous attempts, I have yet to complete a flight of more than 30 minutes without some sort of error. These include:

- FSPassengers does not work under Win8
- Joystick randomly disconnects after 30 minutes (seems to be a common issue, there are a few suggested fixes which I haven't had time to try yet)
- FSX randomly crashes every now and then ( I suspect this may be caused by my addon AI traffic though)

If anyone is considering upgrading from Win7 to Win8, then i would probably advise against it if you are a serious flight simmer. However, as you have already bought the machine, you might as well give it a shot. Some people have managed to get it working without issue, hopefully you will be one of them.

FSXJunkie

Mon May 19, 2014 12:28 am

On that last one I'd normally direct Bojote's website, but it seems to be down for the count.

1. Is FSX in Program Files (x86)? In Win7 64bit FSX seems to behave better (not crash...as often) when it's NOT installed in the (x86) folder, may be the same with Win 8.

2. Try deleting FSX.cfg, one of your add-ons may have corrupted it.

3. Make sure to add...

HIGHMEMFIX=1

...to the fsx.cfg, [GRAPHICS] section

----------

As far as FSP goes....

Does it have administrator rights? Have you tried compatibility mode? What feedback have you gotten from their support team?

It seems you're rushing to judgement, given that you admit fixes exist for your flight-stick, you just haven't applied them

My Logitech G940 works on Win8 no problems, so serious stick-throttle-pedal pairs do work in Win8

[Edited 2014-05-18 17:34:47]

pvjin

Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 7):

Fspassengers is unfortunately getting really old and the developer doesn't seem to support it anymore, wouldn't be surprised if it just isn't Win 8 compatible no matter what.

If you feel like trying an alternative I would highly recommend FScaptain ( http://www.fscaptain.net ).

It's still actively in development & has a great support and many features. It currently lacks economic modeling but I've heard they are working on it... Since I switched I haven't looked back to FSpax.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

nighthawk

Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 am

Quoting pvjin (Reply 9):
If you feel like trying an alternative I would highly recommend FScaptain ( http://www.fscaptain.net ).

Looks interesting - I might give it a shot tonight, although it's a shame it doesn't simulate economics, that was one of the main things I was looking for.

Quoting FSXJunkie (Reply 8):
It seems you're rushing to judgement, given that you admit fixes exist for your flight-stick, you just haven't applied them

My Logitech G940 works on Win8 no problems, so serious stick-throttle-pedal pairs do work in Win8

I just don't have time to sit and fiddle around with config files, fly a 30 minute flight, then see that it still crashes/joystick disconnects etc. It worked flawlessly under Windows 7 without any need for hacks, sadly Windows 8 is not the same, and as a result I stand by my advice that anyone thinking of upgrading should think twice before doing so.

It's interesting that your stick works fine - it seems to be a fairly common "feature" of Windows 8 to disable USB devices if they are idle for more than a few minutes. Are you doing a lot of manual flying? My problem occurs as soon as I enable the autopilot and let go of the controls.

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Quoting Fabo (Reply 5):
DON'T do FS9.

FS9 works flawlessly on my Windows 7 laptop; if you already have many addons for it, FS9 is a great way to go.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

lpdal

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:40 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):
I'm looking into buying a computer just for FS, but I've been hesitant to do so particularly because I'm not sure if FS2004 and FSX will run without issues on Windows 7 and/or 8.

Anyone have these versions of FS installed on a recent Windows system who can tell me of any issues, if any?

Win8 is essentially the same GUI as Win 7 except for the removal of the start menu, replaced with the Metro interface. Thus, I haven't really noticed any performance differences between my desktop, which powers my cockpit and runs W7, and my gaming laptop with Win8 (before I removed Win8 and replaced it with 7).

Vista handles FSX quite poorly, although that condition probably has to do more with Vista itself rather than the nature of FSX.

Remember that FSX is very CPU heavy, so if you're thinking of having a dedicate FSX computer (such as what I do with my home cockpit), shoot for a CPU GHz clock speed of at least 3.0 Gigahertz along with a decent amount of RAM and independent GPU.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

ElpinDAB

Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:39 am

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3840/15089975865_9eeeb047cd_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5587/14903421497_fc3d1f2608_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/14903421977_a03dd9a9dc_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5594/14903421227_f4522b5a5a_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5553/14903421697_8f9ffd0f7b_b.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14903331250_6b3b3b61fa_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5569/14930046321_7c1ef1da72_b.jpg

ElpinDAB

Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:44 am

I meant to post this in the screen shot thread...but I guess it works here too...I specifically got Win 7 because I heard Win 8 didn't work well...SSD + others = good running with Win 7. I have about as many Crash to Desk-tops as with other windows...so that's okay, I suppose....I wish it were none, but there will always be viruses and blue-screens with Windows.