Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Grisee08
Topic Author

How Much Are Safety Cards Worth

Sun May 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Back in the day, when I collected Safety Cards, They were usually no more than $2.00 or $3.00 dollars USD. Now I see them on eBay for $7.00 - $15.00, some even for $20.00.

I also see a lot of them that say RARE in the title, and they are being sold for $30.00/$40.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midwest-Conn...efaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec4076fa5 I know this one is semi-rare, as not many were produced. When Skywest started flying for YX Connect, they used in-house Skywest cards, and the Midwest name was nowhere to be seen. It was a few months later that the YX Connect Skywest style cards were added, and then shortly thereafter the CRJ-200s went bye-bye. This auction states that there are less than 500 out there still, and most collectors are not willing to part with them. Personally, I believe there are LESS than 300 out there, and it is possible to use the term rare on this one example, but is it really worth $40.00?

That is just one example. I'm hoping other collectors can shed light. I don't really collect them as much as I used to. I may buy one every now and again, but I typically ask the flight attendant for a card of an aircraft I fly on. If I don't fly on the aircraft, I typically don't bother asking for one. I haven't flown on jetBlue since 2002, but I will not ask for a safety card, or even if I see one laying about, will not pick it up, unless I fly on the airplane.

Discuss.???
Alright Alright Alright!

TWA772LR

RE: How Much Are Safety Cards Worth

Sun May 11, 2014 8:55 pm

At a hobbyist convention in Houston I saw a BOAC Concorde safety card for $60. I guess it just depends on the rarity.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

nighthawk

Mon May 12, 2014 11:25 am

It's worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it.

The safety cards themselves are "worthless", however some people that collect them will be happy to pay money to obtain them.

LH526

Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Labelling a safetycard as 'rare' will not make it rare, fact! It's always up to the customer to decide, and when one is willing to pay 100USD for a safetycard, than that's the market value ... It's like a stamp: It's a worthless piece of paper, similar to a Van Gogh (which is nothing but a canvas dipped in paint) but for some few it's considered art and worth a lot.

It's worth what some people are willing to pay or trade for it, not more and not less. I would gladly give away my old PanAm cards for safetycards from LanChile for example ... every collector has his personal focus and price-tag on certain cards.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:43 am

I have a box of them in my closet that I've been collecting for about 20 years. Anytime I fly a new airline or aircraft, I still take one and throw it in the box with the rest.

Didn't think enough time had elapsed for them to gain any value? However, a couple years ago I was browsing EBay when I noticed a Northwest DC-10-40 card, with the most current bid at $50! I have at least two of those in the box.

You'd be surprised what people will pay when they really want something in short demand. Cards from retired aircraft types fetch more.

airways1

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:22 am

It is not unusual for cards to go for $100+ on eBay. It is difficult to say what the market value is when a high price on eBay can be achieved with just two bidders in a bidding war. In my experience, however, there are only about a dozen regular safety card buyers on eBay (as well as the one-off buyers). So even 300 safety card would be more than enough to saturate the market if they were distributed freely, but probably there is just one person sitting on the whole lot of them.

burchfiel

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:18 am

Not to be a killjoy, but I wouldn't recommend taking the safety card with you. You could try asking the F/A if they have a spare safety card that you can take with you, and it sounds like some do. See the thread below for reference. I took a 747 safety card home with me once but I then found out I wasn't supposed to do so, so I've stopped.

Do You Take Safety Card Off Planes? (by MartinairYYZ Dec 10 2003 in Civil Aviation)

MadameConcorde

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:19 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 1):
At a hobbyist convention in Houston I saw a BOAC Concorde safety card for $60. I guess it just depends on the rarity.

Braniff logo Concorde safety cards cost a killing. Can be £100 (Pounds) or higher on fleabay - that is if there are buyers.

Wow!   
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Braniff747SP

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Generally, they're not worth much for examples that are currently in circulation (say, a current-generation WN 737 card) or ones that where in circulation recently en masse.

I've bought a couple of eBay and several more at the local memorabilia convention--things from before my time or from places that I will never go to. Most of my collection, however, is composed of cards that I've picked up or that others have brought for me.

I did pay $50ish dollars (give or take $10, a while back) for a BN 747SP safety card. Finding that listing on eBay was the equivalent of finding the holy grail; I had searched for it for years. Got into a bit of a bidding war, but I wasn't about to lose out on that particular purchase.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):
Braniff logo Concorde safety cards cost a killing. Can be £100 (Pounds) or higher on fleabay - that is if there are buyers.

I've seen those on eBay--and as much as I love the hobby, I'm not really keen on paying that type of money for a safety card. I can get many other things for that price...
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!