Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

simonriat
Topic Author

Im Starting My Dream - PPL Training. Which Headset

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi All

Wonder if I could just ask for some advice/ recommendations.

I am finally going to start my PPL in a PA28, in January (weather permitting) and would like to get a Christmas list together.

I did start my training some 10 years ago, but just didn't keep up with it. So now is the time.

I would like my own headset and have been looking at some David Clarks, but really not sure what to look for, so any advice/ suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

gordonsmall

RE: Im Starting My Dream - PPL Training. Which Headset

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:29 pm

The ubiquitous DC H10-13.4 is probably the best 'starter' passive headset available. I had mine for 6 years and they served me very well, backup from DC and the UK dealers is also very good if you need repairs.

If you're feeling a bit more flush and looking for ANR I can also recommend the Sennheiser S1 Digital, I've had mine for a couple of years now and the comfort is excellent. They also do a passive version of the S1 which is a lot cheaper but I've no experience of that particular model.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 am

Another great way to go if you happen to have the Bose QC2s or QC15s is to get a UFlyMike attachment. I love mine.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

bully707

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:49 pm

If money isn't an issue...than any DC or Bose is fine...
I bought my headset back in 2003 after I used a DC for many years and had it ever since without any problems...it is made by ASA and is now calles the ASA HS-1A Classic

http://www.asa2fly.com/AirClassics-HS-1A-Headset-P1302C49.aspx

Why not give it a try...it is rather inexpensive and of great quality!
"That's the good thing about the 707...it can do anything, but read!" Joe Patroni, Airport '70

flymia

Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:37 am

I am in the same situation as you and have been looking at headsets more than I should be studying for the written.

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 1):
and looking for ANR I c

From what I heard there is no reason not to get ANR. These planes are very loud. I would gladly spend a few hundred dollars more to protect my hearing.

Really surprised no one has suggested lightspeed. I am 95% going to get he lightspeed Sierra http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/Si...a_Series/subgrouping.htm?cat=32798 .

ANR, bluetooth for the phone if you need to make calls to a tower, weather etc.. It is $600 so not cheap, but for the features it has it is a good price. Along with that these things have a great warranty and from reading reviews they will fix for free headsets even years after the warranty is over.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

gordonsmall

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 4):
From what I heard there is no reason not to get ANR. These planes are very loud. I would gladly spend a few hundred dollars more to protect my hearing.

In the long run I agree with you. However here in the UK most PPL students don't make it to the skills test, and of those that do the vast majority don't revalidate their licence at the two year point. Once people get beyond the PPL stage (to the ATPL) the figures become even worse, only around 2% of ATPL holders have a valid piston rating.

In the UK a decent ANR headset will cost you £800+, that's a lot of cash to dish out on something you may only use a few times a year, and then likely not at all in a couple of years time once you have an airline job (assuming you go in that direction).
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

nipoel123

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 4):
Really surprised no one has suggested lightspeed. I am 95% going to get he lightspeed Sierra

I can certainly recommend this one!
one mile of road leads to nowhere, one mile of runway leads to anywhere

KaiGywer

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Does your flight school offer rentals/loaners? I would just try out some different ones to find one you like. Personally I bought a headset for about $100-150 or so. It's lasted me 12 years so far. Nothing fancy, but it works.

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 2):
Another great way to go if you happen to have the Bose QC2s or QC15s is to get a UFlyMike attachment. I love mine.

I have been looking at this. Wish I could try it out before shelling out $200 though.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

nickh

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:32 am

I wonder - has anyone tried the Sennheiser series of Aviation Headphones (all are with ANC) and if so, your thoughts?

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

simonriat
Topic Author

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry it took so long, but I am also studying for a degree and have had a lot of study in the last week, thankfully the workload has calmed down.

Just to catch up, yes my flight school has loaners, they are the David Clarkes I mentioned earlier, which is what put me on to them in the first place.

I looked at the lightspeeds but have sort of discounted them as they are really at the top end of what I can get away with asking for, from my wife.

Getting my PPL has just been one of those things since my first ever flight, I just feel the need to do.

Redd

Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:29 pm

I used the Flightcom Denali for a few years, passive. Great feedback, sound, noise reduction and comfort although I found them to start squeezing a little tight around the ears on longer flights and that is non adjustable. Probably the best value for money from all the headsets I've tried.

http://www.acespilotshop.com/pilot-s...flightcom_denali_j3_cub_yellow.htm

Westcoastflying

Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Good point about starting with an inexpensive headset.

If you do go with ANR, I've flown with LightSpeed for 15 years now, having tried a couple of others a few times. They are light and wonderful! You'll notice LightSpeeds in a lot of magazine photos and other aviation photos. They and Bose pretty much own the market - which means they both keep up with the newest technology.

gocaps16

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:20 pm

I own two Lightspeed headsets. Lightspeed Sierra (which is now used for my passengers) and the Lightspeed Zulu ANR. I love them both.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 7):
Does your flight school offer rentals/loaners?

Rental headsets/loaners are usually beat up. I flew with a loaner headset from my flight school when I flew my wife and daughter (they were using my Lightspeed headsets) and I'm not sure how many times I said "Say Again" to the controllers because the noise quality sucked. Too risky for IFR flying. Never again.

BiggerJetsPlz

Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:01 am

I just bought a pair of Rugged Radio RA200 for myself. I'm going for my PPL too. They're great. No fancy ANC but they're comfortable, sturdy, and easy to use. And only $100.