Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Westcoastflying
Topic Author

Book: Fifty Classic Destinations For Pilots

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:53 pm

A new book is out, "Fifty Classic Destinations for Pilots. Epic Adventures, Romance and Outdoor Fun in the Western USA."

I'm the author, but instead of an ad, I want to post about what the book is and isn't, and when it may be appealing - or not.

This book is geared for pilots, but it does include a lot of aviation and outdoor photography that others would enjoy. It isn't meant as a detailed guidebook with frequencies and telephone numbers but as an inspiring guide to the best flying destinations and flying adventures. Please know the content is only half about flying, the other half is about the adventures on the ground when you get there. The book is a large-format 8.5 x 11 inches with 190 full-color pages.

The book is focused on the outdoors and as such there are few large cities, and most destinations are smaller, out of the way places such as Shelter Cove, CA or Salmon, ID. Also, the book is Western USA only (it is where I've flown around in my Cessna 210 for 20 years).

The adventures begin with forever-classics such as flying to Catalina Island, a romantic stay in Sedona or visiting Yosemite, Zion, Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. The book then adds new-classics such as swimming down a slot canyon in Fry Canyon Utah, hiking to the Colorado River from Cliff Dweller's airstrip or a photography expedition to Mono Lake California. Some adventures are genuine epic adventures such as climbing Mt. Hood in Oregon or running the Colorado
River down the Grand Canyon in Arizona while some are more relaxing such as having a romantic weekend getaway at a B&B in Mendocino or flight-seeing above the San Juan Islands in Washington.

The book is available at www.fiftyclassics.com

Thank you,
Ney

Westcoastflying
Topic Author

RE: Book: Fifty Classic Destinations For Pilots

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:46 am

Here is a status of the book: Aircraft Spruce has approved the book and will be carrying it. Sporty's gave it an initial thumbs up and it is in for final review.

From now until black Friday you can use the code "blackfriday" at www.fiftyclassics.com for 20% off the list price.

Thanks!

B777LRF

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Funny that, none of the destinations you mention rings a bell, and certainly don't fall within in the 'classic' category. For me, classic is something along the lines of London, Berlin, Paris, Rome, Bombay, Karachi, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Anchorage, San Francisco, New York and Gander. So, unless one is a domestic pilot in the US, one would probably be hard pressed to see the relevance.

Anyways, how's the sales going?
Signature. You just read one.

Flighty

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 pm

I think it sounds very exciting.

A lot of people act as if they've seen what the USA has to offer, when they've never even scratched the surface. And by the way, staying at Hiltons in Tokyo, San Francisco and Paris isn't exactly the same thing as traveling seeing the world.

I would like to read about flying through some of the great scenery of the West. Since the Western USA is so vast, most people have never seen what's there outside of 4-5 major cities and the Grand Canyon. So, it is a _great_ premise for a book. I'll definitely take a look.