Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

propilot83
Topic Author

Smithsonian Channel Aviation Documentaries

Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Anyone have the Smithsonian Channel? I finally got it without any additional fees added to my satellite provider that I wont name. There's a lot of good aviation programs on there, the new one called "X Ray Mega Airport," just came out 01/03/2016, episode 1 was cool, and they got "Air Disasters," hosted by a stern narrator Bill Ratner, "Mighty Planes," "Planes that Changed the World," and many other exciting documentaries in HD baby! Nice, very cool.

propilot83
Topic Author

RE: Smithsonian Channel Aviation Documentaries

Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:54 am

I noticed my satellite provider had added the Smithsonian Channel to my satellite channels in December 2015. I was so happy and grateful, Aerial America is cool too.

Brick

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:04 pm

I really liked the Planes that Changed the World series. Too bad the series only had a few episodes.

I can't stand watching Air Disasters because of its poor production value.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

propilot83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Yea I wish they had more episodes on "planes that changed the world," series and I really like "Air Disasters," because it has great detailed graphics and is very explanatory and emphasis.

Ytraveller

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:35 am

I like Air Disasters as well, especially the beginning simulation of the flight from takeoff to crash.

propilot83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:05 am

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 4):
I like Air Disasters as well, especially the beginning simulation of the flight from takeoff to crash.

Yup, its nice, gives you a full picture of what, how, and why it happened.

Cush

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:26 pm

I had the Smithsonian Channel for years, and shows like this were rarely on. Once I decided to become 'financially responsible' and cut my cable tv down to a reasonable bill each month, Smithsonian Channel decided to become an "airline network" and now i am kicking myself. haha. Of course, to add this channel to my lineup, i need a higher package which adds $50/mo on to my bill. Sadly, no thanks.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

propilot83
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Quoting ytraveller (Reply 4):

Yea, I've seen Air Crash Investigations and Air Disasters on youtube in 2014, and the narrator had an accent, and that doesn't add a stern voice. I'm not a hater, because you couldn't watch it in HD 720P or 1080i. But I still learned and appreciated the documentary. Now if you see Air Disasters on Smithsonian Channel, Bill Ratner has a stern voice, and I get to watch it on my Panasonic HD 720P 1080i 42" plasma tv. Quality and price must be balanced. Nowadays there isn't a whole lot of stern serious narrators anymore, as I did notice when I filmed documentaries of Boeing, etc. William Hootkins was good narrator, Peter Thomas is nice with Forensic Files, and some others I cant remember right now at 4:08 a.m. pacific standard time (0408 hrs). I have over 250 hours of recorded documentaries from Aerospace, NASA, Military, Commercial Aviation, Politics, History, etc. During my high school years I used to set the VHS tape speed to SLP (super low play) and film these documentaries for free on a 6 hour tape from TLC, DSC, National Geographic, etc. At the end of the show there was an ad and it said....."now if you enjoyed this video, get it on VHS for $19.99 plus tax, shipping and handling $4.99." And that was only for one hour only, so I was like, heck no dude, I'm gonna buy a VHS tape and then record what I want for free. Then in February 2009 I converted all those 250 hours of VHS tapes to DVD, and donated the VHS tapes to my former brother in law. I just bought a VHS/DVD recorder converter and returned it twice to Best Buy with no restocking fee with a 30 day return policy. The entire process took me about a month and a half, so I had to return the first one, then buy another one, and then return it. Its like your renting something, welcome to the United States of America baby, yea.