Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

propilot83
Topic Author

Flight Simulator 98 Update

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Folks, I'm still researching and experimenting on how I can get Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 to work on different platforms of computers. I installed it on my brothers' PC that has Windows Vista or XP. You have to open the compatibility mode to 256 colors and run under Windows 95. I was so excited, and jubilant. I miss that flight simulation so much. I still have to run more tests however. It works on Intel Pentium processors very well, cause I have an AMD Athlon II quad 4 (X4), and after several attempts, unfortunately it did not work. That doesn't mean I don't like my current PC... I have FSX, but on AMD Athlon II X4 processors the CPU fan blows high like an APU on a real 737 hahahaha  
You know what they say, "if there's a will, there's a way."  

klm672

RE: Flight Simulator 98 Update

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 am

"Flight Simulator 98 was before my time."

-Signed,
90% of a.net

csturdiv

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Not before my time. I started off with FS4.

An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

alberchico

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 2):

Not before my time. I started off with FS4.

I started with flight sim 95. I can't believe at one point this was considered the best graphics in the world

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Cadet985

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:09 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 3):

I think we had maybe 20 airports in that version...

Marc

ACDC8

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:01 am

The first flight sim I had was "Jet" by Sublogic back in 1985 on my Tandy 1000 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24pelYJ1eAU

... watching the opening credits with the F16 do the barrel roll was always so exciting  

My first Microsoft flight sim would have been version 2.0 which I bought shortly after "Jet".

Since then I've had versions 4.0, 5.0, 6.1 (98), 7.0 (2000), 9.0 (2004) and 10.0 (X). MS9 is still by far my favourite and I find its really the one that really had the best in add-ons and launched the hobby of flight sim onto a whole new level never seen before.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

csturdiv

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:47 am

Back in those days, when I flew with a keyboard, I bought a map of the US and use a ruler to plot out my flight routes by drawing lines between cities.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:34 pm

Flightsimming will hopefully take another step, towards the end of this year, when
Dovetail games' new simulator is expected to arrive.

Not much info available yet more then that it will be:

based on FSX code,
use 64-bit technology
use DX11.
non-compatible with current Add-ons.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

cpd

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:33 am

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 7):
non-compatible with current Add-ons.

Hmm, that's going to be a problem. A lot of the addons are more important than the base simulator. Typically a lot of people wait to buy the new simulator until the makers of their preferred addons have done new versions of these addons.

At the moment, we've got Prepar3D, and that is a good solution for the moment.

Some of those screenshots above are a blast from the past! Meigs Field for one. I remember FS5.1 as well.

It was FS2004 that really kicked things off as far as FS for me, then FSX was pretty good too. Just wish it ran better on my Mac Pro. It's a Xeon powered machine, so pretty powerful for most stuff, but FSX is too much for most ordinary machines unless you want to overclock them.

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:55 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 8):
Hmm, that's going to be a problem.

Maybe but somewhere down the line you have to cut the ties with the past if you want to make some
real progress. There is only so much you can improve if you want to keep backward compatibility,

So I think they are doing the right thing by cutting the ties with the past with this title.

There are some important addons will not be supported since DTG means that a new simulator
shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party software like FSUIPC to function properly. So DTG intends to
have such functions built in from the start since that would make things easier for the user, especially
for those who are new users.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente