uhntissbaby111
Topic Author

People Really Hate Being Seated Next To Us?!

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:57 am

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/aviati...potting-beginners-guide/index.html

As most of us here are "that" guy, do ever annoy your friends/families by your level of knowledge/obsession with aircraft? I know sometimes I drive my wife nuts if during a movie they show a wide body on the exterior, with a single aisle, and then for the flight deck, and then I make my usual remarks about how inaccurate it is. And she'll respond with something along the lines of "it's just a movie." And I also get the people that are amazed that I can take one quick glance at an aircraft and tell the type, and then rattle of the airline and sometimes where it's destination is. It comes second nature to me. When I look at a plane, I just know what it is. But I guess that's what happens when aircraft have been my obsession my entire life

coolian2

RE: People Really Hate Being Seated Next To Us?!

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 pm

The only time I let it actually wind me up is when I worked for QF.

Otherwise, I might say my bit if it helps, but ain't nobody cares really.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

euroflyer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Haha, I could not agree more with you. I do experience exactly the same situations.
I often get pretty mad about movies and TV series inaccuracies about aircraft types or flight procedures.
But I guess planes are our life, and now a part of us as well.
In the other hand, you know you're going to be the aircraft expert everyone will come to ask questions and stuff, and personnaly, I do enjoy this role as well  
Born to fly !

xjramper

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:22 pm

We are all just a little bit aspie aren't we?

On the bright side, I like to think it helps others.
Look ma' no hands!

N14AZ

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:23 pm

Quoting uhntissbaby111 (Thread starter):
I know sometimes I drive my wife nuts if during a movie they show a wide body on the exterior, with a single aisle, and then for the flight deck, and then I make my usual remarks about how inaccurate it is. And she'll respond with something along the lines of "it's just a movie."

???? Could it be that we are married with the same person?!?!?!?   

And I also get the people that are amazed that I can take one quick glance at an aircraft and tell the type

Here the same, they always say "I just see a tiny aircraft far away and you can identify the type and even the operator?!?!?"

However, when travelling with colleagues, I avoid any comments that would reveal that I am an aviation enthusiast and don't take pictures. Unfortunately, planespotting is not yet an accepted hobby and for some people it has a touch of being a nerd....

bennett123

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Surprised that you say that.

I have found German airports more spotter friendly than most.

I assumed that it would be a more 'acceptable' hobby.

BubbleFrog

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:21 pm

I'm lucky. The husband is as geeky as myself in that respect.

I remember rewinding Die Hard 2 to check the Evergreen 747 -- we'd just been to McMinnville... Granted my dad-in-law almost rook our heads off...
Absolute Relativist

diverted

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm

As most of us here are "that" guy, do ever annoy your friends/families by your level of knowledge/obsession with aircraft?

I just keep my mouth shut unless asked. Try explaining "Oh that's a 77L, it's basically a 777-200ER with different engines, raked wingtips, etc. It's full on gibberish to 95% of people. Now, if I'm sitting there and they ask, I'll volunteer knowledge.

To most people, air travel is a commodity, and an aircraft an appliance. I'm sure you'd find it a tad weird if one of your friends starting raving about the new LG fridge and how it's 5% more energy efficient and has a bigger icecube tray. Which is exactly the feeling people who aren't interested in aviation feel. Same goes for cars. They're an appliance to most people.

uhntissbaby111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 4):
???? Could it be that we are married with the same person?!?!?!?

haha maybe we are!!

Quoting diverted (Reply 7):
I just keep my mouth shut unless asked. Try explaining "Oh that's a 77L, it's basically a 777-200ER with different engines, raked wingtips, etc. It's full on gibberish to 95% of people. Now, if I'm sitting there and they ask, I'll volunteer knowledge.

Haha ive been there before. A friend will ask a simple question, and of course I give a detailed answer, within a few minutes I see their eyes glaze over and I know going any further is a waste of time haha

N14AZ

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
Surprised that you say that.

I have found German airports more spotter friendly than most.

I assumed that it would be a more 'acceptable' hobby.

Well, I was not talking about Germans in general or the airport authorities (I agree with you, it's really great how they support plane spotters by builidng platforms and so on...). I might be wrong but my feeling is that it's not yet a fully "acceptable" hobby, or, let's put it this way, people will be more impressed if tell them that I support a primary school in Lesotho in my spare time  
Quoting uhntissbaby111 (Reply 8):
haha maybe we are!!

26point2

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Perhaps people are just annoyed that you sound like a know-it-all. No one likes that. YOU know it's not technically accurate, I know it too, but we don't have to ensure the whole room knows it. Stay humble my friend, it will serve you (and your wife) well.

a380787

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 pm

If it's just a movie or TV drama show, cut them some slack. They have the right to taking an artistic license to these things. If you must make the remark, do it after the movie instead of interrupting your wife.

Now, if it's a documentary or news reporting, then feel free to correct them on any factual errors.

copter808

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:41 pm

I drive my wife nuts if during a movie they show a wide body on the exterior, with a single aisle, and then for the flight deck, and then I make my usual remarks about how inaccurate it is.

Totally impractical. I'm looking for the exterior of a learjet (easier to park) with the interior of a widebody. (Lots of room inside). Whoever can design one like that will sell lots of them!

DolphinAir747

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Well. I saw the movie "The Terminal" the other day, great movie really, and UA was clearly doing the product placement there. UA was flying a 747 from JFK to a tiny made-up Eastern European country which does not seem very accurate...seems like a typical LH route out of MUC though to feed their North American services!

RIX

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:05 pm

In "NCIS" TV show episode where main character's father tells him how he, a USAF pilot, was saved by another pilot, they show first the two planes flying side-by-side, and only a while later reveal, by showing the other plane from aside, that it was a German pilot who saved him. But they were accurate in details, and so I saw from the beginning, well before a "normal viewer" was supposed to see it, that the airplane was German (Me109)! The whole drama and intrigue was gone for me, the "knowledgeable" one...  

copter808

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:16 pm

I didn't see that episode, but could it have been somewhat based on the book "A Higher Call"? A B-17 crew was "saved" (or at least not shot down) by a German ME109 pilot. Really good read for anyone interested.

diverted

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 15):
I didn't see that episode, but could it have been somewhat based on the book "A Higher Call"? A B-17 crew was "saved" (or at least not shot down) by a German ME109 pilot. Really good read for anyone interested.

IIRC the pilot of the 109 and the pilot of the B-17 ended up becoming friends many years later.

seat64k

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Yeah, I'm that guy too. But to the uninitiated, I explain it like this: Are you into cars? Not really? But can you tell the difference betewen a BMW and a Merc? How about a VW and a Toyota? Or a Nissan Micra and a Fiat 500? The answer is usually yes to at least some of that. Well, there are only two aircraft manufacturers that you're likely to encounter on a daily basis, with 5-6 models each, all of which have distinct visual features.

Anyway, I guess I should count myself lucky. Since I'm a geek in general (aircraft, cameras, computers, musical instruments, you name it) and work in IT with a role what overlaps with infrastructure design and security, watching any movie with any sort of "hacking" is painful. But my girlfriend works in a bank and knows the ins and outs of bonds, markets, various kinds of fraud, etc at a level of detail that makes my head hurt, and she gets pretty upset with movies that get it wrong. So we tolerate each other  

AAlaxfan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 15):

Yes it was.

Quoting diverted (Reply 16):
IIRC the pilot of the 109 and the pilot of the B-17 ended up becoming friends many years later.

Yes they did.

One of my favorite NCIS episodes.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

blueflyer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:40 pm

I'd mention something only if the movie or tv show is making efforts at (historical) accuracy and blowing it on the airline part. Example: Narcos, Netflix's series telling the true story of Pablo Escobar that includes a US Airways A320 in the last pre-merger livery in a scene set in the early 1980s...

If it's entirely fiction, I don't bother. Very often, even the casual audience notices anyway (e.g. an outside shot of a Lear taking off followed by the interior of a BBJ) and if they don't get up and scream in horrors, I see little point in interfering with their entertainment. On the rare occasions I watch Grey's Anatomy, I wouldn't want a doctor telling me what they're doing wrong on every procedure and how many times they have killed their patient already. I keep that in mind when it comes to aviation...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

displane

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Usually I just keep my mouth shut but other times you just can't help yourself. I was standing at the gate waiting for my flight when I overhead this conversation:

Dad pointing to a 737) Son, now that's the plane we're flying.

9 year old son: That's big.

Dad: Yup. That's a 747.

Needless to say I started to laughing and received a dirty look. But still kept my mouth shut.

nws2002

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 12):
Totally impractical. I'm looking for the exterior of a learjet (easier to park) with the interior of a widebody. (Lots of room inside). Whoever can design one like that will sell lots of them!

Tardis?

BSRadar

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:04 pm

I was that guy with Steam Locomotives (British Rail + pre-grouping) until they all started to disappear late 60's. (Preserved locos are great but not the same as when working and grimy.)

Ornithology emerged to replace, then aviation, then lepidoptery, then mycology, then cetaceans. Therefore I find W & NW Canada fairly absorbing. My wife says I'm swivel-eyed at times.

My bookshelves are a challenge.

goosebayguy

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Okay my geekiest moment here was a friend whos father restored aircraft and so he had been around them a little. One day he mentioned a Jackaroo which he got a flight in and I immediately said ah a THRUXTON Jackaroo? He was amazed that I knew of this plane especialy as only about 9 were ever made.

alex0easy

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 pm

In the video game Cities in Motion all runways in the airport are labeled RWY27.  
I think in a TV series ( I forgot the name though  ) they showed a Boeing 737 BBJ with the cockpit of a 727 with obvious fire extinguishers for 3 engines. Drove me nuts!  

HNLsurfer

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 pm

I totally do this. I love it and i dont care! im an aviation nerd. but everyone has a nerdy side. mine just happens to be aviation!

Birdwatching

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:13 pm

25 replies, and it looks like I'm the first who is "not that guy". I hate it when aviation enthusiasts act like know-it-alls and lecture others about their knowledge. When I'm with other aviation enthusiasts or on special events, I love to do the geek talk, but in everyday life absolutely not.

I think it sheds a bad light on our hobby and bores people. I've seen this kind of behavior several times and it made me be ashamed as an aviation enthusiast. If that father mentioned in a post above points out the 737 to his son and calls it a 747, and some aviation nerd pops up from somewhere and corrects him, then first of all it's embarrassing for that father, and second it's annoying as hell.

When I'm flying I enjoy the ride, but I keep it to myself and don't annoy others with it. What's interesting for me might be boring for others.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

RIX

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Quoting aalaxfan (Reply 18):
One of my favorite NCIS episodes.

Yes, this and "Call of Silence".

Quoting displane (Reply 20):

Dad: Yup. That's a 747.

Needless to say I started to laughing...

You should have politely asked to show you something that was not a 747.  

ER757

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:36 pm

A couple years ago I flew into LAX, was in an aisle seat on the starboard side. We were taxing past TBIT and it was on our port side. There were QF and KE A380's at gates and I had never seen one in person before. I was leaning way forward in my seat to be able to get a peek out the port side window when a guy across the aisle asked me if I was OK. I said, "yeah, I've just never seen an A380 before and want to get a look." He turns and glances out the window and says "Holy **** that's a big plane!!" To which I calmly replied, "now you know why I was trying to see it."

tjwgrr

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:38 pm

I remember a number of years ago meeting a male & female couple on St. Thomas USVI while checking in at TIST. Somehow I struck up a conversation with them and discovered the rather attractive young woman was a pilot for a Lufthansa regional carrier. I said, "oh you fly for CityLine, right?" She was surprised a Yank like me had even heard of CityLine...... IIRC, she flew the Avro at the time.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

laddb

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:04 pm

I don't annoy my wife by pointing out the mistakes in movies or TV. I annoy her by driving out of the way to pass the airport, always looking skywards, wanting to get to the airport early when we fly somewhere, choosing hotel rooms facing a runway whenever possible, and telling her what planes are presently overhead, where they are going, what airline, etc. thanks to my flightradar24 app.

rbavfan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 4):
However, when travelling with colleagues, I avoid any comments that would reveal that I am an aviation enthusiast and don't take pictures. Unfortunately, planespotting is not yet an accepted hobby and for some people it has a touch of being a nerd....

So what? I'll bet Bill Gates got rejected left & right in high school & college. Now every one of them are probably pissed they did not try to marry him. Sometimes the nerds win.

rbavfan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:13 pm

I've had flights where people were happy I was next to them as I understood the planes & could tell them how things work so they felt safer.

Then there was the time a nervous flyer was being a pain and I told him If I panic there might be something wrong. After a short while I looked out at the wing and breathe red really deep and held the armrest tight. He did not think it was funny, but the others around us did.

coolian2

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 26):
25 replies, and it looks like I'm the first who is "not that guy". I hate it when aviation enthusiasts act like know-it-alls and lecture others about their knowledge. When I'm with other aviation enthusiasts or on special events, I love to do the geek talk, but in everyday life absolutely not.

I think it sheds a bad light on our hobby and bores people. I've seen this kind of behavior several times and it made me be ashamed as an aviation enthusiast. If that father mentioned in a post above points out the 737 to his son and calls it a 747, and some aviation nerd pops up from somewhere and corrects him, then first of all it's embarrassing for that father, and second it's annoying as hell.

You missed me! I think let it be, unless it's going to be dangerous....and that's never happened.

If I want to tell someone something, I use an app as backup, and will start with "I think, but....", no matter how right I am.

You do not need to belittle someone to teach - the best way is to be nice, and say what you know conversationally.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

ckfred

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 pm

I used to amaze and annoy my co-workers, because they could name a destination, and I could tell how to get there from ORD, and tell what hub it would involve for a connection, if an AA or UA non-stop wasn't available.

m1m2

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:29 pm

25 replies, and it looks like I'm the first who is "not that guy"

I think I'll be the second.

I work in aviation and I like what I do. I also have a keen interest in it. However, when I fly, I never tell the person next to me what I do, or what my interests are. If someone asks me, I tell them "I'm a mechanic" (I am), and 95% of people leave it at that. If they ask me to elaborate, I don't lie, I will answer their questions.

In this way, I'm not boring anyone, but I have had a couple of really interesting conversations that started this way. I remember one very well dressed lady that told me about a private jet that her and her husband had owned. She was very intelligent and we had a good conversation.

sccutler

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:36 pm

I often seek and occupy a window seat, and generally find that if I keep my iPad near the window, my ForeFlight software works just fine. I'll occasionally get a question from the person seated next to me about it, and it can be interesting.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

AVFCdownunder

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:24 pm

I enjoy flight simming and get the odd teasing remark from Mrs AVFCdownunder such as "where are you flying tonight?" or "wow, you're actually going to watch TV with the rest of the family".

At work, I am known for stopping mid-conversation to watch a plane on finals into our nearby airport.

However, I've also been Mr Popular a couple of times when friends/colleagues have been planning overseas trips and I've suggested airline/route/connection options that improved their trip or saved a few $$$.

ua900

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 am

As most of us here are "that" guy, do ever annoy your friends/families by your level of knowledge/obsession with aircraft?

Lots of friends are plane buffs. My kids get indoctrinated by yours truly. Wife hates plane talk, and talk about UA for that matter    Rest of family is so so, the people who wanted to go furthest in life understand, the homebodies have no sympathy for the topic.

When I look at a plane, I just know what it is. But I guess that's what happens when aircraft have been my obsession my entire life

I grew up under the TXL approach, and my school was underneath the approach as well. I would play computer games or look out the window of the classroom and glance at every 737 that passed by every five minutes or so. So imagine my excitement whenever something different came along and all the speculation on where it's going or coming from and what life would be like in those places. Had to find out what it was and imagine I'd go places twice a week when I grow up.

Later on it also made me pay closer attention to interiors and service standards. I always wanted my trips to be special, and being on the right equipment after my first couple rides in the back of a MD-80 or some 737 tourist flight became a very real goal. As I moved away from coach and towards business, and as business class changed, I changed alliances three times based on who had the nicest products at the time. Even today I enjoy flying non-*A carriers in the premium cabin just to see how their product stacks up.

I know sometimes I drive my wife nuts if during a movie they show a wide body on the exterior, with a single aisle, and then for the flight deck, and then I make my usual remarks about how inaccurate it is. And she'll respond with something along the lines of "it's just a movie."

I'm very forgiving at movies since I work in the industry. Otherwise she'd be even more annoyed.

Quoting BubbleFrog (Reply 6):
I'm lucky. The husband is as geeky as myself in that respect.

Lucky you. Too few ladies who are single and into aviation IMO.

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 9):
I might be wrong but my feeling is that it's not yet a fully "acceptable" hobby, or, let's put it this way, people will be more impressed if tell them that I support a primary school in Lesotho in my spare time

It's not. Whenever I go to kids birthday parties and a plane comes by I start watching that. No one understands. Should just get my own folding chair, binoculars and open liveatc and flightaware while I attend these shindigs.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 21):
Tardis?

Ah, that's that fine line between fascinating aviation and geeky sci-fi   

Quoting RIX (Reply 27):
You should have politely asked to show you something that was not a 747.

Just point at the next A380 and claim it's an Elgin 474, super rare  
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

cosyr

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 am

When I look at a plane, I just know what it is

I had a friend once as a teenager that flat out called me a liar. I don't know why he thinks it's any different than telling cars apart. If you don't care about cars, they all look the same too.

Luckily, my wife is an archaeology nerd, so as long as I don't mind listening to her stuff, she puts up with planes. She actually really appreciates that I care about getting us Elite Status, and getting her upgrades. Every once in a while she asks for a high five for remembering some obscure fact about planes or an airline that someone not married to an a nutter would have no chance of knowing. She deserves every high five!

fraspotter

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:52 am

I've been that guy more than once. Most recently a few days ago when I was watching the most recent episode of "The Blacklist". In the episode apparently a plane was hijacked by terrorists flying nonstop from Istanbul to JFK. The only problem was is that the plane was an MD-83. Part of the plan of the terrorist's plot involved the plane flying at 60,000 feet. I burst out laughing when they said it on the show. Those around me were giving me weird looks.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

peanuts

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:36 am

This:

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 10):
Perhaps people are just annoyed that you sound like a know-it-all. No one likes that. YOU know it's not technically accurate, I know it too, but we don't have to ensure the whole room knows it. Stay humble my friend, it will serve you (and your wife) well.

And that:

When I'm flying I enjoy the ride, but I keep it to myself and don't annoy others with it. What's interesting for me might be boring for others.

Just enjoy it for yourself.

What really gets me: if we notice the pure laziness in movies/news reports at the lack of detail when they get to aviation related stuff, just try to imagine how they probably butcher other things (things that some of us know nothing about).
That's scary. And they make a living with it.

[Edited 2016-03-03 20:38:11]

klm672

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:52 am

And I also get the people that are amazed that I can take one quick glance at an aircraft and tell the type, and then rattle of the airline and sometimes where it's destination is.

My gf is amazed by that as well. We were waiting for our flight, and I see an aircraft turning onto a taxiway into the ramp, and I pointed at it and said "that's our plane!" She said "well, I was going to ask how you knew, but then I know not to question it anymore".

kcrwflyer

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:02 am

Soren   

I'm with you. I keep it to myself. And FWIW, I've got the aviation bug as bad as you can get it. My family knows and my friends know... but it's not something I get into unless asked. Same for when I travel.

Ironically, the people that flaunt their Avgeekery the most ( in public or through social media) seem to know the least. I generally avoid being a jerk and correcting them. What would I look like walking up to some "avgeeks" that can't tell an MD-90 from a 717 and starting a conversation about dial-a-flap?

And to those that mentioned, yes, TV and movies butcher aviation on an embarrassing level. But they don't make movies or TV for experts, they make it for the masses. I try to remember that (but I don't like it)

KDTWflyer

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:20 am

I can relate to this. 'Back in the day' i.e. 2003-2005ish, I had become very familiar with the plane spotting hobby and and had studied airplane movements in great detail. I'd go outside with my scanner and binoculars and look up at the sky waiting for NW68 heavy (the daily B744 DTW-AMS run) to fly over Rochester Hills, MI, a good 30 miles NNE of DTW. My neighbors would ask what I was doing and I'd tell them 'I'm waiting for NW68 heavy to pass over'. They'd usual have a glazed-over appearance upon their face when I would babble on about these things but I'd carry on with my spotting