Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

alhenderson
Topic Author

Should I upload to a.net?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:35 am

Morning All,

I've never uploaded a picture to a.net before. Have heard many stories about the trials and tribulations of doing so, many from people who are way better photographers than I am. I'm curious, though, to know if any of my shots would stand a chance.

So, below are a couple on my Flickr stream that have been well received over there (which I appreciate is a fairly low bar), would be interested in any honest criticisms, suggestions on whether it's worth my time and effort trying to upload these. Please do be honest, I can take it, would rather than than waste hours of my life in a fruitless task.

These are both fairly recent ones which I like, but I genuinely have no idea what the screeners are going to be looking at or what these are likely to get rejected for.

Cheers,
Al.
Last edited by alhenderson on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

airkas1

Re: Should I upload to a.net?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:00 am

Hi Al,

The images aren't showing for me.
EDIT: oh, they show now. Are you able to show the links, so we can see the photos in full size? Minimum size for A.net is 1000px wide and to the eye, these seem to be below that?

alhenderson
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Took me a while to get the links to Flickr to work, and because my posts need to be moderated, made the whole trial and error thing a bit painful :-) Those links are, I think, 850px wide. Below are the links to Flickr directly, I hope..

https://flic.kr/p/Gb1hga
https://flic.kr/p/GX4DvN

I'm not proposing submitting the ones on there to a.net as they have watermarks on them (and wrong size) so I would tweak the originals prior to uploading.

Al.

Kaphias

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 pm

alhenderson wrote:
These are both fairly recent ones which I like, but I genuinely have no idea what the screeners are going to be looking at or what these are likely to get rejected for.

Have a look at the Photo Acceptance Guide to get an idea of what the screeners are looking for. The website update borked the images in there, unfortunately, but it should still help.

ptrjong

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello Al,

I like the second one.

I'd say give uploading here a try. It's tough in the beginnen, but the advantage of that is that it encourages you to get better. Not that A.net is the measure of al things in photography, of coures, but it has certainly encouraged not to be satisfied quickly, to look better, to go for the best possible spot rather than a convenient spot, etcetera.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

spompert

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:50 pm

alhenderson wrote:
Morning All,

I've never uploaded a picture to a.net before. Have heard many stories about the trials and tribulations of doing so, many from people who are way better photographers than I am. I'm curious, though, to know if any of my shots would stand a chance.

So, below are a couple on my Flickr stream that have been well received over there (which I appreciate is a fairly low bar), would be interested in any honest criticisms, suggestions on whether it's worth my time and effort trying to upload these. Please do be honest, I can take it, would rather than than waste hours of my life in a fruitless task.

Cheers,
Al.

Nice ones! I would say the first is backlit so it probably won`t have a chance. Quality looks okay although the upper tail is a but blurry. There is also a motive problem, the wings are cut off which is not allowed (or you have to crop and make some kind of close-up). The second one is affected by heathaze (visible on the wings and back). Not sure if that is fixable. Greets

alhenderson
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks guys. Thought the lighting on the first one might be an issue - not a lot I could do about the alignment of the runway and the position of the sun :D

Maybe I'll give the second one a shot and see what happens... Uploading here is always something I've aspired to, just not sure I have the kit and/or the skills for it. Don't know until you try!

Al.

airkas1

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:02 pm

The first photo could use some sharpening and contrast, but it's backlit and some parts are cut off. That's why I think #2 is your best bet.
However, for #2:
- It's a bit low in frame.
- It would probably look better in a 16:9 crop (this eliminates dead space above and below the aircraft.
- It could use a bit more contrast.
- It could use a bit more sharpening.
- It needs clockwise (CW) rotation.
- It needs a bit of a tighter crop.

The good thing is that all of the above is fixable and once you;ve done that, I think you'll have a good chance. Be sure to post the improved version here for a final look if you like.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:47 am

airkas1 wrote:
The first photo could use some sharpening and contrast, but it's backlit and some parts are cut off. That's why I think #2 is your best bet.
However, for #2:
- It's a bit low in frame.
- It would probably look better in a 16:9 crop (this eliminates dead space above and below the aircraft.
- It could use a bit more contrast.
- It could use a bit more sharpening.
- It needs clockwise (CW) rotation.
- It needs a bit of a tighter crop.

The good thing is that all of the above is fixable and once you;ve done that, I think you'll have a good chance. Be sure to post the improved version here for a final look if you like.

Thanks for the hints, I really appreciate them. As you say, all fixable, just requires a little more thought in Lightroom than I'm used to - I generally fiddle around the edges and upload to Flickr :-) I'll have a go at those things and post back here.

Al.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:34 pm

OK, I've had a go at re-editting, would appreciate any thoughts? A width of 1000px results in a not very big file - 378kb. Am I using a high enough resolution? Think it was 240 ppi..

Al.

airkas1

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Al,

Size-wise it sounds legit (the 378Kb).
However, the image is still soft (needs more sharpening) and is also somewhat noisy (sorry I didn't mention that before).

alhenderson
Topic Author

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks for that, I actually just uploaded it (nearly bedtime!) so I'll await the feedback with some interest :-) Noise is something I might struggle with, although it was ISO200 so I was hoping it would be OK in that regard.

Al.

Kaphias

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm

alhenderson wrote:
Am I using a high enough resolution? Think it was 240 ppi..

ppi has nothing to do with images viewed digitally. Points per inch (or dpi, dots per inch) describes the number of digital pixels that can fit in one square inch of a printed media. The controlling quality factors for digital media would be pixel dimensions; and for jpg images, the "compression" applied during the export/saving process.

megatop412

Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:50 am

Since you asked I am going to give you my answer...no it is not worth the time and effort, in my opinion, to try meeting the acceptance requirements in order to have pictures hosted here. The inconsistency in the screening along with the justification for those inconsistencies, was what did it for me. Not that I don't enjoy looking at what others have uploaded, this site is the greatest for that.
Having seen some of the politics that played out with myself and others with our own attempts here I don't need the headache when I can just upload to other sites and be done with it. Not wasting time leveling .01 degrees or debating something like just how pink the sky can be actually frees up time to appreciate other folks' shots! Which to me is part of the hobby, instead of being so wrapped up in my own quest for photographic glory it becomes less about community and more about narcissism.

Sorry to be "that guy", but you should know there are a range of opinions on it. But don't let me discourage you, maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:18 pm

megatop412 wrote:
Since you asked I am going to give you my answer...no it is not worth the time and effort, in my opinion, to try meeting the acceptance requirements in order to have pictures hosted here. The inconsistency in the screening along with the justification for those inconsistencies, was what did it for me. Not that I don't enjoy looking at what others have uploaded, this site is the greatest for that.
Having seen some of the politics that played out with myself and others with our own attempts here I don't need the headache when I can just upload to other sites and be done with it. Not wasting time leveling .01 degrees or debating something like just how pink the sky can be actually frees up time to appreciate other folks' shots! Which to me is part of the hobby, instead of being so wrapped up in my own quest for photographic glory it becomes less about community and more about narcissism.

Sorry to be "that guy", but you should know there are a range of opinions on it. But don't let me discourage you, maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

Thanks for your honesty, which actually mirrors a lot of the comments I have heard from others about the rigmarole of getting photos accepted here. You're right, there are some really nice pictures uploaded here which are definitely to be appreciated. My editting skills are OK, but I'm not into spending hours on individual photos so if it turns into that then I think I'll quickly go off the idea :-)

Al.

redcap1962

Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 pm

megatop412 wrote:
....The inconsistency in the screening along with the justification for those inconsistencies, was what did it for me....

Made some similar experiences. Often when I start to compare pics of the same location/same aircraft, etc. it seems to me its just something like sympathy or antipathy of the screener (or screeners) for a photo, that leads to acceptance or rejection. I decided to reduce the amount of trials here and I am beginning to change towards other aircraft picture sites :roll:.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

alevik

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 pm

alhenderson wrote:
megatop412 wrote:

Thanks for your honesty, which actually mirrors a lot of the comments I have heard from others about the rigmarole of getting photos accepted here. You're right, there are some really nice pictures uploaded here which are definitely to be appreciated. My editting skills are OK, but I'm not into spending hours on individual photos so if it turns into that then I think I'll quickly go off the idea :-)

Al.

Editing a photo for this site should take only one or two minutes, unless it is a really tricky high ISO low light shot. If you take images in good light with the sun at your back then editing should be extremely simple. Yes, I understand you cannot control the sun or the alignment of the runway, but you can control when you take pictures and from where. So, yes, if you are taking hours to edit then there is something else not quite right.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

G-CIVP

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Given the mess this site is in I won't bother.

kann123air

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:42 pm

Hey Al!

I'll start off by giving my two cents regarding the question you ask in the title of this thread. In my opinion, uploading to a.net is completely worth your time and, in time, will make you a better photographer. I know it has made me one, and I still have a ways to go. More than having my shots viewed by hundreds of people around the world, I value the standards that come with this site. There's nothing like having your images scrutinized by some of the best aviation photographers in the world.

Does this site have its issues? Of course! But what website is perfect? With differing opinions, we will always have people who are happy and ones who are upset with the way something works. Are the screening standards completely consistent and fair all the time? No, but I know that the screeners do their best to aim for this. As long as this is the case, i will continue to upload here, despite the occasional frustrating reject. :)

I hope you choose to upload on a.net. Despite its issues, I don't see myself stopping to post my photos here. The benefits clearly outweigh the drawbacks.

About your photos: The first one, as others have mentioned, is quite backlit and is unfortunately not fixable. The second one is soft and suffers from heat haze, but you might be able to make it work at 1000px or another small size. However, make sure to listen to the other, more experienced people who have commented on this thread before considering my thoughts on 'em. :)

Regards,
Amrit
Going for great

alhenderson
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks for your input, Amrit. I love some of the pictures on this site (pictures of business class seats, less so :-) ) and would be quite proud if I could get my pictures counted amongst the others on the site. My main question is whether my kit and skills are up to the job (the latter probably more of a concern!). Only way to find out is to try, which I have done. Not heard back yet, but I gather the screening time is quite high at the moment...

Al.

G-CIVP

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 pm

kann123air wrote:
Hey Al!
In my opinion, uploading to a.net is completely worth your time.

You have your head in the sand or are in denial. The site is a mess. The search engine is not prominent and it is hard to sort on photos. End of.

airkas1

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:39 am

G-CIVP wrote:
kann123air wrote:
Hey Al!

You have your head in the sand or are in denial. The site is a mess. The search engine is not prominent and it is hard to sort on photos. End of.

Can you please stop hijacking the thread? Thanks.
And he is entitled to his opinion, no need to argue it.

dgimage

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:28 pm

Al, The one good thing is that if your images do get rejected, they tell you why. Checkout the guides regarding rejection-reasons and learn from that.
If you are not in a hurry to see them on the site, then just keep uploading after you have done what is required!! If you do have a "scoop" and you let the screeners know, they will answer very quickly and guide you if the image needs adjustments etc. Hopefully, your life wont depend on getting images accepted and you can take it for what it is. Look forward to seeing your efforts !!
Also.... you have raised this question at a time of great change to the site........LOTS of negativity about the whole process.....it will get better !

alhenderson
Topic Author

Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:22 am

dgimage wrote:
Al, The one good thing is that if your images do get rejected, they tell you why. Checkout the guides regarding rejection-reasons and learn from that.
If you are not in a hurry to see them on the site, then just keep uploading after you have done what is required!! If you do have a "scoop" and you let the screeners know, they will answer very quickly and guide you if the image needs adjustments etc. Hopefully, your life wont depend on getting images accepted and you can take it for what it is. Look forward to seeing your efforts !!
Also.... you have raised this question at a time of great change to the site........LOTS of negativity about the whole process.....it will get better !

Thanks for the positive response, I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of my first upload, although I realise it'll be a while and I'll be amazed if it gets accepted first time! As you say, learning from the process will be key, and picking photos to start with that at least have a chance.

Al.

kann123air

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:34 pm

G-CIVP wrote:
kann123air wrote:
Hey Al!

Dude, there are worse things in this world than a slightly glitchy search engine on a newly-revamped website that's understandably buggy at the moment. Give it time, and I'm sure it'll get better.
Going for great

G-CIVP

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:12 am

You are optimistic! Note, I wasn't hijacking the thread; I was articulating my point of view.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:11 pm

So, I've had my rejection email. Following reasons are listed:

- CCW Rotation
- Low Contrast
- Low in Frame
- Noise
- Quality
- Soft

Scarily similar to the list that airkas1 posted about the original - guess my re-edit wasn't really up to scratch. The first 3 I can deal with fairly easily, but I'm going to struggle with noise. That photo was taken at ISO200 F11 and 1/200th - so pretty good lighting conditions. If I'm getting results that are considered to be 'noisy' at ISO 200 then maybe I need to accept the kit isn't going to produce decent enough results? Given that anything I do to remove noise is likely to make things worse, are there are hints for getting shots that are not noisy? I have an EOS450D (12 MP) so not a professional setup, but would have hoped to be able to get good results given decent lighting.

And while I'm here - what does 'Quality' mean? Sounds a bit subjective...

Cheers,
Al.

megatop412

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:28 pm

Ah, so you have received the screening feedback I had expected.

Rotation, contrast, and placement are relatively easy fixes.

Soft and Noise it seems have become artforms on this site in terms of how people handle them. I can't think of any aviation situation in which you don't have to do some kind of sharpening to your original photo(well there's one but in the interest of good taste I won't mention it). You can't sharpen the whole photo or you'll sharpen the sky, which introduces even more noise, so now your creating an extra layer to just sharpen the plane. Clearly, people with deeper pockets and sharper glass have an advantage here. Then you have to contend with the noise, many people use plugins just for this because they don't want to soften the subject they just sharpened. See this to me is getting crazy. But then again I shot with film so I'm used to seeing grain, I mean "noise".

Quality....that's probably the most subjective screening parameter there is. What is it exactly? How do you improve it if it's not there to begin with? Does it relate to the equipment or the photographer's skills? Ask 5 different screeners and I'll bet you get 5 different answers. Too subjective, which translates into....inconsistent results! Plus it can serve as the "I'm not quite sure what I don't like about this photo but I can't make it fit into one of the other rejection categories, so...Quality". No thanks. I would love to have some shots on here but I don't have time to argue with people.

I think your shot is salvageable by the way, but some of the editing could get tricky especially with the sharpening.

len90

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 am

Al,

You're full size original looks to have a bit of heat haze and a decent amount of grain which will ultimately turn towards the quality rejection you received. I quick look at the exif data and learning about your setup and settings makes me think that you might be better off shooting at an f7.1 f.8 to keep your ISO as low as possible. Just my $.02 on that quick bit.

The soft/sharp is the most subjective to me as some people like images sharper than others. To me your image is marginally soft

Low In Frame: Although you might say it is pretty close in pixel count from the bottom of the gear to the bottom of the frame and the top of the stabilizer to the top of the frame. It actually is a bit low. The best thing to do for all images is to feel it out with the "weight" of the subject. The fuselage is the main subject and that should be what is ultimately centered for this shot. As it stands right now it is pretty low. Center point of the image right now lines up somewhere on the tail. You're going to want that to be the fuselage when re-editing.

CCW rotation: Not really many great vertical cues for this one... To me this one actually doesn't really look off. The one distant vertical cue to use is that building in the background but that would then lead me to think it needs a CW rotation.

Contrast: I agree that it is a bit low. The blacks should truly be black. The gear in your shot just seem to have a bit of a grey feel to them. This is reinforced by the belly just not having that deeper/darker color that will come with a boost in the contrast.

Quality/Noise. I personally feel that it would be best if the Quality rejection was reworked to be like this... Quality: Noise. Your image suffers from noise. Best thing I could recommend is to apply some noise reduction, especially to the sky. When sharpening you're going to have to selectively sharpen the aircraft on this image to avoid introducing any more noise to any of the background features of this image.

Lastly, for uploading to the site... the site is really experiencing a lot of bugs/flaws/issues/quirks. There are some decent people in this thread who have offered you assistance and guidance. That benefit will help you become better and more proficient. Take this moment to learn and improve.
Len90

G-CIVP

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:23 pm

kann123air wrote:
Dude, there are worse things in this world than a slightly glitchy search engine on a newly-revamped website that's understandably buggy at the moment. Give it time, and I'm sure it'll get better.

Agreed on both counts. I'm liking the look of the Forum.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:09 am

megatop412 wrote:
Ah, so you have received the screening feedback I had expected.

Rotation, contrast, and placement are relatively easy fixes.

Soft and Noise it seems have become artforms on this site in terms of how people handle them. I can't think of any aviation situation in which you don't have to do some kind of sharpening to your original photo(well there's one but in the interest of good taste I won't mention it). You can't sharpen the whole photo or you'll sharpen the sky, which introduces even more noise, so now your creating an extra layer to just sharpen the plane. Clearly, people with deeper pockets and sharper glass have an advantage here. Then you have to contend with the noise, many people use plugins just for this because they don't want to soften the subject they just sharpened. See this to me is getting crazy. But then again I shot with film so I'm used to seeing grain, I mean "noise".

Quality....that's probably the most subjective screening parameter there is. What is it exactly? How do you improve it if it's not there to begin with? Does it relate to the equipment or the photographer's skills? Ask 5 different screeners and I'll bet you get 5 different answers. Too subjective, which translates into....inconsistent results! Plus it can serve as the "I'm not quite sure what I don't like about this photo but I can't make it fit into one of the other rejection categories, so...Quality". No thanks. I would love to have some shots on here but I don't have time to argue with people.

I think your shot is salvageable by the way, but some of the editing could get tricky especially with the sharpening.

Thanks for your feedback. I have not had a go at re-editting this yet, had intentions of doing so, but now have 1100+ pictures from Fairford to go through so that may take a back seat. It kind of feels like if I'm having to 'salvage' the picture then I already have a lower chance of success. I have uploaded my second picture in the last couple of days, we'll see how that one goes. I was certainly more aware of the ISO I was using over the weekend with a view to uploading to here - although the British summer weather is not helping in that regard :-(

Al.

nb7760

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm not a veteran A.net photographer (not by far) nor a screener, but these are my two cents on the rejection reasons for Al's photo.

- CCW Rotation
A somewhat valid reason. If you look at the wings of the aircraft, they're just slightly slanted counter clockwise. A tiny bit of clockwise rotation so that the wings are level will solve the issue.
- Low Contrast
Also somewhat valid. While there are prominent blacks in the image, overall it seems a little flat, especially the sky. I'm not sure if this can be fixed in Photoshop, as it seems to be more of a problem with the lighting conditions of the shot.
- Low in Frame
Hard to say. I think the image is framed quite well given the angle it was shot at.
- Noise
Maybe a little bit of noise coming from the surface of runway? To be honest I don't think it's quite that bad.
- Quality
Definitely a subjective one. I think it mainly refers to the angles and conditions of the photograph and overall just how "professional" it looks. I think the front-on angle is very hard to work with as you can't see much of the aircraft and therefore a good portion of the image consists of the background, which usually isn't that interesting unless you're shooting at airports like SXM. In addition, the photo seems to have been shot on an overcast day, so you don't really have any textures in the sky. Unfortunately, photos with grey skies generally don't do so well which is understandable but sometimes frustrating for photographers as there isn't much you can do to change how the sky looks.
- Soft
This is the trickiest. Sharp/soft are extremely subjective, as there is a very (very) fine line between soft/oversharpened that also happens to vary between screeners. Just recently I had a picture with absolutely no sharpening applied get rejected, and "Oversharpened" was the sole reason listed for the rejection. I honestly would have trouble telling the difference between a picture that is soft and one that is oversharpened (according to A.net standards at least). While I do think that your image is slightly on the soft side (especially near the rear of the fuselage), "Soft" is a very subjective reason for rejection and one that can be quite frustrating at times.
A319, A320, A321, A333, A343, A359, 737, 738, 744, 752, 763ER, 773, 77W, C208B, EC-130, PA-28

alhenderson
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:33 am

nb7760 wrote:
I'm not a veteran A.net photographer (not by far) nor a screener, but these are my two cents on the rejection reasons for Al's photo.

- CCW Rotation
A somewhat valid reason. If you look at the wings of the aircraft, they're just slightly slanted counter clockwise. A tiny bit of clockwise rotation so that the wings are level will solve the issue.
- Low Contrast
Also somewhat valid. While there are prominent blacks in the image, overall it seems a little flat, especially the sky. I'm not sure if this can be fixed in Photoshop, as it seems to be more of a problem with the lighting conditions of the shot.
- Low in Frame
Hard to say. I think the image is framed quite well given the angle it was shot at.
- Noise
Maybe a little bit of noise coming from the surface of runway? To be honest I don't think it's quite that bad.
- Quality
Definitely a subjective one. I think it mainly refers to the angles and conditions of the photograph and overall just how "professional" it looks. I think the front-on angle is very hard to work with as you can't see much of the aircraft and therefore a good portion of the image consists of the background, which usually isn't that interesting unless you're shooting at airports like SXM. In addition, the photo seems to have been shot on an overcast day, so you don't really have any textures in the sky. Unfortunately, photos with grey skies generally don't do so well which is understandable but sometimes frustrating for photographers as there isn't much you can do to change how the sky looks.
- Soft
This is the trickiest. Sharp/soft are extremely subjective, as there is a very (very) fine line between soft/oversharpened that also happens to vary between screeners. Just recently I had a picture with absolutely no sharpening applied get rejected, and "Oversharpened" was the sole reason listed for the rejection. I honestly would have trouble telling the difference between a picture that is soft and one that is oversharpened (according to A.net standards at least). While I do think that your image is slightly on the soft side (especially near the rear of the fuselage), "Soft" is a very subjective reason for rejection and one that can be quite frustrating at times.

Thanks very much for your feedback, it's really appreciated. It was, as you say, an overcast day, so the light not as good as it could be - not a lot I can do about that :-) One of the reasons that I have not yet gone back and re-processed this shot is that I'm not sure I can see the noise/sharpness issues so my attempts to solve them would be stabs in the dark and probably counter-productive. I'm not suggesting that it's not an issue, just that I'm not as experienced at looking for these things. I also think the sharpening issue may well stretch my processing skills. I use Lightroom and can happily sharpen whole pictures but have never done any selective sharpening - assuming Lightroom can even do that.

Al.

Kaphias

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:30 pm

nb7760 wrote:
- Quality

Quality has NOTHING to do with the "angles and conditions of the photograph". "Quality" is a useless rejection reason that could be best described as a combination of other reasons, such as noise, sharpness, compression, etc– nothing to do with the lighting or angle of a photo, but rather things that make the photo look like it was shot on your ancient point-and-shoot rather than a DSLR.

I'll also add that "angles" or "conditions" or how "professional" a photo looks are not rejection reasons here, however they may indirectly affect other rejection reasons (ex. angle --> motive, weather condition --> noise).

Joshu

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:39 pm

To OP, it took me several rejections until it all finally just came together. It takes me about 1-2 minutes to edit an image. At my best, I had 48/50 photos accepted. It just takes time. I still have images rejected even though I am a screener. Sometimes another screener points out simple things that I just wasn't seeing and I just re-upload it with the small adjustments. It is definitely worth uploading here with the shots you have - practice helps.
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

Smoketrails

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:37 am

Keep cracking at it Al! In the beginning it took me 10/15 minutes to work on my photos but as you get the feel for things it starts going quicker. I have had so many shots rejected i have lost count! Last couple of months I have been scoring 2 out of 5. Youtube has some good tutorials on how to edit your shots. I used to run this in the background while editing my shots, very helpful!!

Good luck,

Chris

alhenderson
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks for the last couple of positive comments guys. Still awaiting a decision on my second upload, which I paid a little more attention to when processing, whether it was enough, time will tell :-) Re-assuring to hear that a matter of minutes worth of editting is all it should take (although it depends on your starting point!).

Al.

len90

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 am

alhenderson wrote:
Thanks for the last couple of positive comments guys. Still awaiting a decision on my second upload, which I paid a little more attention to when processing, whether it was enough, time will tell :-) Re-assuring to hear that a matter of minutes worth of editting is all it should take (although it depends on your starting point!).

Al.

Al,

It ultimately will take you a bit longer than someone whose more established in getting the editing routine down. But I will say that if you are needing to do complex photoshop work to salvage a picture, then you might need to rework your initial camera settings or the conditions you were shooting in. Best of luck and remember, there are plenty of us here who are willing to help out... I learned from others here and enjoy passing on my learned/acquired knowledge.
Len90

alhenderson
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 pm

OK, I've had the results of my second photo, again rejected. Reasons given were Soft, Category, Dark and Personal. There's also a comment suggesting I use a smaller size to get over the soft-ness. The dark I can probably deal with fairly easily but I'm confused by 'Personal' - anyone know what that means? Category suggests the was something wrong with the information that goes alongside the photo - is that correct? Feels like this one might have a better chance that my last one..

Had to upload to Flickr, couldn't work out how to link to the one I have uploaded..

Cheers,
Al.

airkas1

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Al,

"personal" means that the screener left you a written note, which you can find in the rejection E-mail. In this case it's the comment about reuploading in a smaller size.

Category means you forgot to tick the appropriate category and this is usually explained in a personal message too. I see in the log that the screener forgot to mention it to you however, so if you decide to fix it and reupload, the categories for this aircraft should be:

Main subject: Airliner/Other
Owner: Military
Paint: Colorful/Special Paint.
View: Normal/Other
Other: n/a

Overall the aircraft could use some more sharpening, especially on the aft section and tail. Be sure not to overdo it and be careful of jaggies around the numbers/text. I suggest sharpening in layers, so you can use the eraser whenever jaggies start to show.
Concerning dark, boosting the slider on the right a little will probably get a good result.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! I have boosted the exposure slightly and done some more sharpening, although I'm using Lightroom so don't think I can use layers. I've also resized to 1200px wide rather than 1920px as suggested. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Al.

airkas1

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:50 pm

It looks flat (low contrast) now, due to the boost in light. Did you adjust the contrast to compensate for that?
Could you perhaps send the photo to my A.net E-mail? airkas1[at]airliners.net is the address.
I can take a better look then, because the photo embedded is 1024px, while you say it should be 1200px. It's probably a better idea to link rather than embed, just because of the above.

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 am

Kaphias wrote:
Quality has NOTHING to do with the "angles and conditions of the photograph".

That is inaccurate. Quality is often used for a photo that just doesn't look like it has a chance, even with a re-edit. Among other reasons, that can include:
Heat Haze (conditions)
Backlighting (angle and conditions)
Noise (can be due to conditions)
Contrast (can be due to conditions)
Overexposed (can be due to angle and conditions, especially OE sky)
etc.

Quality was also used for reasons that didn't have their own checkbox, like Vignetting. I don't know if that's changed with the site redesign.

Some of these can be solved by re-editing, but it depends on the particular photo and how bad it is.

Kaphias wrote:
how "professional"

I think this is intended to mean how the overall photo quality looks. Which is true, Quality can be used for that. It just shouldn't be used alone (unless it's for a reason that doesn't have a checkbox, as stated above).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

airkas1

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Quality was also used for reasons that didn't have their own checkbox, like Vignetting. I don't know if that's changed with the site redesign.

We have a dedicated vignetting checkbox now :)
But yes, you're right about how "quality" is used.

alhenderson
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 am

airkas1 wrote:
It looks flat (low contrast) now, due to the boost in light. Did you adjust the contrast to compensate for that?
Could you perhaps send the photo to my A.net E-mail? airkas1[at]airliners.net is the address.
I can take a better look then, because the photo embedded is 1024px, while you say it should be 1200px. It's probably a better idea to link rather than embed, just because of the above.

Email sent, BTW, hopefully it didn't go to spam or anything :-)

Al.

airkas1

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 am

Nah, it went through fine, I will check it out after I get home from work.

AlexC

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am

Although I've got over 4,000 shots on here, I've only just leant from airkas1 above what 'personnel' means. How embarrassing is that?!

Kaphias

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:51 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Kaphias wrote:
Quality has NOTHING to do with the "angles and conditions of the photograph".

That is inaccurate. Quality is often used for a photo that just doesn't look like it has a chance, even with a re-edit. Among other reasons, that can include:
Heat Haze (conditions)
Backlighting (angle and conditions)
Noise (can be due to conditions)
Contrast (can be due to conditions)
Overexposed (can be due to angle and conditions, especially OE sky)
etc.

Some of these can be solved by re-editing, but it depends on the particular photo and how bad it is.

Kaphias wrote:
how "professional"

I think this is intended to mean how the overall photo quality looks. Which is true, Quality can be used for that. It just shouldn't be used alone (unless it's for a reason that doesn't have a checkbox, as stated above).

Sorry Vik, I should have been more clear. The post of nb7760's I was quoting was talking about "conditions" with regards to overcast skies not having any interesting textures, or cloudy photos in general not being well liked. Neither of these are directly reasons for rejection. Additionally, I mentioned in my post exactly what you did above,
Kaphias wrote:
I'll also add that "angles" or "conditions" or how "professional" a photo looks are not rejection reasons here, however they may indirectly affect other rejection reasons (ex. angle --> motive, weather condition --> noise).

Either way, thanks for clarifying. :)

alhenderson
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for the continued support and feedback everyone. Thanks to some hints from Kas I have re-submitted the photo, we'll see what happens. Don't think I'd make a screener, though, as I struggle to see some of the issues (which isn't great when you're trying to fix them). Hopefully experience will help in that regard.

Al.

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:32 am

Kaphias wrote:
Sorry Vik, I should have been more clear. The post of nb7760's I was quoting was talking about "conditions" with regards to overcast skies not having any interesting textures, or cloudy photos in general not being well liked. Neither of these are directly reasons for rejection. Additionally, I mentioned in my post exactly what you did above,

No worries, just wanted to make sure it was understood.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".