Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Would you guys say the HX400V is a good camera for a spotter on a budjet?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm thinking from upgrading from my current camera(basically a potato) to an HX400V. Just wanted to have your input on it,

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Re: Would you guys say the HX400V is a good camera for a spotter on a budjet?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 pm

Or say the Nikon B700 or FZ80, FZ300, FZ1000. I can't say I might be able to afford the FZ1000. FZ300 is a maybe.

JakTrax

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm

The HX400V is a compact bridge camera, which is never going to offer the quality of a DSLR or mirrorless. Whether it's a good camera for plane photography is subjective - it depends on your expectations and standards - however if you're looking to upload here then you might struggle when shooting fast-moving subjects.

A budget DSLR with kit lens is a similar price, so my advice would be to buy one of those and then continue saving for a longer lens. You'll thank yourself for it one day!

Karl

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:28 pm

https://community.infinite-flight.com/t ... t-2/130359 I saw some photos from this user(along with some other posts by him) It looked pretty good at handling moving object although the sky is pretty grainy in some of his photos(although that can always be edited out). He has another post where he goes to MMMX and theres no blur with moving objects, unlike my current camera. https://community.infinite-flight.com/t ... mmx/109837 Is there any blur?

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:29 pm

It's that I really want to do contrail spotting too.

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 pm

It's that I really want to do contrail spotting too and it would be way easier to get this one camera instead of a hard to hold long lens with all the lens extenders(might also fall with a tripod I assume).

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

[url][/url]Moving photo by it https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8873010

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 pm

What the heck, it's posting things when it says it wont because I'm posting too soon...

JakTrax

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 pm

If you think it will meet your requirements, go for it. I wouldn't buy one as a DSLR will ALWAYS be better, but it's not my money at stake......

If you just want to record movements at your local airport in good weather, it will be fine; if, however, you want to upload here and progress in your photography, you will likely outgrow it pretty quickly.

By the way, those first images you linked are very grainy and likely wouldn't pass muster here.

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 am

Yes. I noticed the grain. I can edit it out though. So, it's fine when its not grainy? I realize it wont be as good as a DSLR but I want to get into contrail spotting. Also, what do you mean by "you will likely outgrow it pretty quickly." You saw the Brussels Airlines image right?

VaradNoia
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 am

Well fine at least from the budget I am on for contrail spotting and just typical spotting.

Kaphias

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:41 am

If your budget is that low and you want to take photos of contrails than bridge cameras such as what you've suggested are pretty much your only option. Just expect to have to work hard in the right conditions to get photos accepted here, if that is your goal - it would probably only be close aircraft, preferably stationary, in good weather. The Brussels Airlines image you linked to would not be accepted here.

JakTrax

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

You can't just 'edit out' grain without paying some sort of penalty. Noise reduction software basically blurs parts of an image, thus eroding detail. The more aggressively you tackle noise, the more detail you lose. Since blue skies are notorious for showing up noise, expect contrail shots taken at long focal lengths with a bridge camera to exhibit lots of grain (and likely other quality issues).

You will get your contrail shots with a bridge camera - just don't expect the resulting images to be good enough to upload here. DSLRs are priced as they are for a very good reason. I'm afraid that, if you want the right tool for the job, you're going to have to dig deeper into your pockets.