Aquib748
Topic Author

Camera Confusion

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi fellow aviation enthusiasts :biggrin:
First post here :wink2:

I'm really interested in aviation and decided to move on to aviation photography and Im a TOTAL rookie in the photography field..
So I see the DSLRs, the EOS series, the Nikon D Series etc
I'm more of a plane spotter in the city because plane-spotting is prohibited at the airport here..
And the planes will be about 0.80km-1.55km-2.60km far depending on three runways and I also take shots of cruising aircrafts and the Nikon P900 looks like the best one for it as its focal length is 24mm-2000mm and its a bridge camera without the hassles of changing the lens..
Should I buy the P900 or a DSLR with telephoto lens?

I like the P900 because of its enormous zoom, and it saves money on buying extra lenses (correct me if Im wrong)
Since the P900 is a bridge camera, not a DSLR, less quality is expected with zoom pics,
But, will that quality of a P900 be enough for Airliners.net to accept photos of the planes at 0.80km-1.55km-2.60km range? (Not the ones cruising of course..)
Please enlighten me about it :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Thanks a lot for taking your time reading this <3

clickhappy

Re: Camera Confusion

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Aquib - My first thought is you should be buying a camera that allows you to take the pictures you are happy with, not a camera that will satisfy a websites requirements. That being said, at the distances you mention any picture accepted, from any camera, will be the exception, not the rule. The farther away you are from the subject the more things like heat haze, pollution, and noise will influence the quality of your images.

I'm not sure what airport(s) you spot at, but you should be able to shoot landers closer than the distances you mention. At any rate, a DSLR will always focus and "snap" quicker than a point and shoot - the tradeoff being it gets expensive the farther you want to "reach."

Good luck

Aquib748
Topic Author

Re: Camera Confusion

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks for the information, clickhappy!
I think I am going to go on with the P900, and I am happy with taking the pictures of cruising aircrafts, approaching planes, all at the rooftop of my house and birds. I'm selecting the P900 over any DSLR because my budget is $500 and the DSLRs + Lenses cost a lot for a decent zoom range and it will be my first camera and I heard the P900 is good for beginners.
By the way, I spot at Jeddah King Abdul Aziz International Airport (OEJN), Saudi Arabia