qfs
Topic Author

Filming faces onboard a commercial airline flight

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:48 am

Hello,

I'm an aviation YouTuber with the channel QFS Aviation. I mostly film trip reports on commercial airline flights. I have received many comments on the legality of filming peoples faces during boarding without written consent or blur. I've done a ton of research both online and in person, but I can't figure out if it's safe to keep doing this.

In an email I recently received from a viewer, they stated: "If you're shooting a video that will be used for commercial purposes, you need to have written permission from everyone featured in the footage". The thing is every other trip reporter on YouTube shows peoples faces, probably without consent.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

spompert

Re: Filming faces onboard a commercial airline flight

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:14 am

Hi, that other Youtubers are doing the same thing doesn't mean anything I would say. I like to watch trip reports like this and often see them facing the camera down when boarding. Did you ask advice from some legal expert yet? Me personally have no idea about the rules, but if I were you I would take the risk seriously, especially if people ask you to don't do this. Greets Stefan

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:32 pm

qfs wrote:
"If you're shooting a video that will be used for commercial purposes, you need to have written permission from everyone featured in the footage".

I'm no expert, but I believe that's technically correct. I seem to recall that the same applies to still photography - you'd need written permission, as the people are technically models appearing in your work, I think.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

JakTrax

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Assuming US law is similar to UK law, you need some sort of press-pass (i.e. prior permission) and public liability insurance to film (or photograph) for commercial purposes on private property. Technically. Now the grey area is how your work is classed... and only you know that.

To be honest, unless the crew or other pax complain — in which case you cease filming immediately — you shouldn't find yourself in too much trouble, other than maybe receiving a polite warning. Look at all the air-rage phone videos that go viral — the people videoing these incidents wouldn't be too hard to trace and I don't know of a single one who's faced any real discipline.

Bear in mind, though, that I'm talking USA and Europe here; there's no way I'd go videoing in the Middle East, Africa or India. Also, it's important to respect people's privacy — some cultures consider it very rude to film someone without permission (not illegal, just plain rude) and airports and aircraft tend to be melting pots of different cultures.