McG1967
Topic Author

Settings Q - Night Panning and Exposure

Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 pm

As a punt I tried uploading a night panning shot of an A380 which Emirates have recently started flying to GLA.
It did not come as a surprise that the photo was rejected for being underexposed - I have no issues with the rejection.
I want to however try to improve the taking of this type of photo.

I was using a Canon 5DIV with a 300F2.8LIS and 1.4xTCIII mounted to a gimbal on top of a tripod with the IS OFF. The settings were F4, 1/30, ISO3200 manual exposure with centre weighted average metering.
There are no direct light sources on the side of the airport that the photo was taken from to help illuminate the aircraft.

For those who regularly upload night panning photos, what sort of settings do you use to get a reasonable exposure on the aircraft?

Without a direct light source, would bumping the ISO and switching to spot metering help? This however would likely overexpose the terminal lighting in the background.

The photo can be viewed at the following link:

[url][ https://zenfolio.page.link/1Pn4/url]

Any tips and hints appreciated.

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: Settings Q - Night Panning and Exposure

Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi Mark,

For my recent LHR night photo sessions (https://www.airliners.net/search?countr ... ategory=15) I used my 5D4 with 135 f2.0. Settings were F2.8, 1/100, ISO6400. The 5D4 can relatively easily handle ISO6400, so I would advise that. I didn't touch the metering and I think I always use the average. If the background is overexposed, you can always selectively edit that to your needs in the RAW file. Look forward to seeing the next results, if you need help with the edit let me know. Good luck!

McG1967
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Kas,

thanks for the link to your photos.Unfortunately its getting that its not quite dark enough now at the time it leaves to get a nice night shot.
Mark

vikkyvik

Sat May 11, 2019 6:17 pm

McG1967 wrote:
For those who regularly upload night panning photos, what sort of settings do you use to get a reasonable exposure on the aircraft?

Sorry in advance for the self-plug...

1/13, ISO8000, F5.6 on my 6D and 100-400L Mk2:

1/20, ISO10000, F5.6, same equipment:

Typically, once it's completely dark, shutter speeds are in the 1/15 - 1/30 range, and ISO is 6400+. The 100-400 only gives you F5.6 at longer zooms, so I'm limited by that.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cpd

Sun May 12, 2019 11:10 am

Try using much longer shutter speeds of 1/4sec if you can instead of high ISO settings. At least for slow moving planes. This will make a cleaner image that is easier to edit. You’ll also get the impression of movement.

I loved using F2.8 lenses as well, they help greatly.

The other trick is using the available ambient light to your advantage. If the area is very dark it will be hard to get a decent shot.

It is also important to do as minimal editing as possible, the closer to right you get the photo out of the camera, the better it will look. You should not be selectively adjusting the brightness of the image, that should get an editing rejection I would expect.

I’m not on a computer at the moment so examples are not possible.

clickhappy

Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

If you look at Mark's example (A380 at V1) you'll see his example is just a tad more difficult than a plane taxing (or possibly even not moving).

vikkyvik

Mon May 13, 2019 3:11 pm

clickhappy wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

If you look at Mark's example (A380 at V1) you'll see his example is just a tad more difficult than a plane taxing (or possibly even not moving).

I have plenty of night shots of airplanes taking off and/or landing at high speeds, so not sure what your point is.

The settings I mentioned apply to airplanes landing and taking off as well....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

aircountry

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:02 pm

How did you clear out heavy noisy when you using very high ISO with low F number and what about the EV number set to -1 or just normal 0 setting?

vikkyvik

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 pm

aircountry wrote:
How did you clear out heavy noisy when you using very high ISO with low F number and what about the EV number set to -1 or just normal 0 setting?

Some moderately heavy use of noise reduction in Adobe Camera Raw, which I find has great controllable noise reduction without losing too much detail.

Also some local noise reduction, if necessary, once the image is resized and edited.

For nighttime shooting, I don't rely on the camera's light meter at all, so EV setting doesn't matter (I shoot all-manual).

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:55 pm

I do the same as Vik describes in his post above this one.