PedroSilva
Topic Author

DSLR vs MIRRORLESS

Tue May 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Nowadays, those who want to buy a camera should buy a dslr or advance to mirrorless? Still worth buying a dslr or mirrorless are the future?

Starfuryt

Re: DSLR vs MIRRORLESS

Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 am

Too early to tell if you ask me. First generation mirrorless (at least from Nikon) lags behind in some aspects as compared to top of the line DSLRs (D750, 810, 850).

At least for Nikon lens design will likely take a significant step foward with mirrorless (you can find a number of articles/videos regarding how exactly the mount differences affect lens design).

If you don't have too much $$$ already invested in DSLR lenses then perhaps mirrorless is the way to go. Most serious photographers here likely have thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars invested in DSLR lenses, and I frankly don't see those people dumping them anytime soon.

But at the same time you'll get a range of opinions, I have enough invested in lenses that I'm not going to be switching anytime in the near future.

-Mikhail

BartSimpson

Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 am

Nobody knows what the future brings, but both systems will not just suddenly disappear from earth. This should not be a deciding factor.

Get what you are comfortable with and which camera offers the features you need, regardless of sensor size (even mFT is big enough for most cases) and system (DSLM or DSLR). The main difference in the usage is the view finder - if you like the electronic sort, get a DSLM, if not look for a DSLR. Also, the optics are more important than the body itself.

Anyway, the biggest contribution for a good picture will always the grey wobbly blob behind the camera.

JakTrax

Wed May 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Not sure about other manufacturers but with Canon you can use your EF (DSLR) lenses with the RF (FF mirrorless) mount, without any loss of performance, via an adaptor supplied with RF cameras.

Starfuryt

Wed May 29, 2019 4:13 pm

I know that 24-70 is probably not what most people use for spotting but here is a good review on the new Z mount nikon 24-70, which claims that it's better than any of the F-mount versions. Granted it is newer.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-24- ... erformance

the 70-200 should be coming soon (tm), so that would be more interesting for me personally.

PedroSilva
Topic Author

Wed May 29, 2019 6:10 pm

Here in Portugal we have the Sony a73 at a very good price ... already with the 24-70 f3.5-5.6, at the price of a d750, only body, what I have heard is that sony is a great machine. I'm nikon and I have the d500 with the 70-200 f4. I stayed in it, well worth it or not, I must wait some more time ..

And sorry for my English.

invertalon

Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm

As far as Canon goes, they seem to be going "all-in" for RF mount with the lens development pipeline rumored. I think EF will be phased out, personally, long term of course.

Still waiting for a more advanced mirrorless body from Canon before changing over.

dvincent

Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 pm

Sony, Olympus, and Fuji are the choices to make right now. RF mount and Z mount just aren't there yet, but that situation will change over the next few years.
From the Mind of Minolta

JakTrax

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 am

If Canon can do with the RF mount what they've done with the EF mount, their mirrorless system should be a force to be reckoned with (providing they don't severely handicap their cameras, as they seem to do so well these days!). The rumour is that Canon will phase out its M mount and concentrate on EF (for how long?) and RF, with all mirrorless crop bodies being redesigned for the latter.