conoramoia
Topic Author

RIAT First Timer!

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests I will be attending RIAT for the first time. To say I am excited in something of an understatement.
However I am looking for advice on best photography spots. As it stands I have access to The pimm's area and general Public.Quite willing to splash out an extra bit if it means better photos!
Any help greatly appreciated.

Conor 8-) 8-)

scbriml

Re: RIAT First Timer!

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:37 pm

conoramoia wrote:
Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests I will be attending RIAT for the first time. To say I am excited in something of an understatement.
However I am looking for advice on best photography spots. As it stands I have access to The pimm's area and general Public.Quite willing to splash out an extra bit if it means better photos!
Any help greatly appreciated.

Conor 8-) 8-)

There is no single "best place" and where you you shoot depends entirely on what type of shots you're looking for. The crowd line runs the entire length of the runway with the exception of a few expensive enclosures. Arrivals and departures are predominantly from the East but are obviously dependent on wind direction.

Other than those enclosures, you're free to find a position anywhere along the crowd line. But, especially if the weather is good, there will be a lot of people there and front row positions are very much on a first-come-first-served basis. If you're mainly interested in shooting the flying displays, being right at the front of the crowd is not essential. There are orange display line markers on the far side of the runway, and the centre is marked by a larger one (it's a useful indicator for working out a position to shoot the flying display).

Even if the weather is good, Fairford is always windy. Bring stuff to cover all weather conditions. Arrive early - the traffic can be a nightmare.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

conoramoia
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks Steve,

In regards to what you have mentioned my main goal is to capture aircraft low and fast. I am guessing it will mostly be early rotations so therefore maybe mid- runway (ish)?
Although I'll be trying every sort of shot. I wasn't so sure on if the extra payment areas were good value or not.
We will be coming from the west of Ireland so we will enjoy the weather regardless.
Many thanks. :)

scbriml

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:58 am

If you're attending multiple days, it's easier because you can use the first day to try things out. While the order of the flying displays are not identical each day, baring weather issues, each routine will normally be the same, so if you see something you really want to shoot on the Sat, you can be ready for it on the Sunday. You can purchase a flying display list each day which will give the times of each item that day (can be subject to operational changes, but they're normally announced over the tannoy system).

Last two pieces of advice:
Wear comfortable shoes, especially if you want to see the entire static display.
Enjoy it!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.