SRQKEF
Topic Author

Non-priority photos skipping ahead in queue

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering why this photo, taken May the 30th, has been accepted already when I still have photos from 19-21 May waiting in the queue. This is not a new livery/aircraft/registration, and not even an inaugural flight or anything of that sorts. Am I missing something?

It's a nice photo by the way, just wondering why it's in already. :)

kind regards!
Sveinn
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Starfuryt

Re: Non-priority photos skipping ahead in queue

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:34 pm

First time for that livery in TXL I believe.

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Starfuryt wrote:
First time for that livery in TXL I believe.

But does that really constitute priority screening treatment? From what I understand, that’s only for new additions to the database as a whole. IIRC, the priority screening FAQ even explicitly states it’s NOT meant for a special livery/type or even a new airline visiting an airport for the first time...

And if that warrants priority screening, would an EuroAtlantic 767 visiting KEF for the first time (an example from last month) do as well? I think that precedent could open up a whole lot of cases like that...

airkas1
Head Screener

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:55 am

That photo was initially deprioritized. After that, 2 other photos were added, so it would be unfair to leave this one in the main queue while the others skipped. Little error on our part

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:57 am

airkas1 wrote:
That photo was initially deprioritized. After that, 2 other photos were added, so it would be unfair to leave this one in the main queue while the others skipped. Little error on our part

Ok, no problem! Mistakes happen, just wanted to make sure I understood the rule correctly. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Kind regards,
Sveinn

JKPhotos
Screener

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Svein,

there was an update to the priority screening rules 2 years back:
See here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1380237

airkas1 wrote:

In addition, we now also offer priority screening to local newsworthy events. This also includes newsworthy first visits to your airport. Basically, any type of movement that is the talk of the town. To further increase your chances and since we are not always aware of the things that might be happening at your local place, we really need you to write a comment to the screeners with an explanation as to why you think the photo should be screened with priority. For these local priority photos, it is our intention to also offer more social media exposure to them (but no banner). Sometimes this may be with a delay due to timezone differences of the crew.

That would mean the Euroatlantic 767 you mentioned would qualify for prio screening, in case it was never there before.
We all know this new paragraph leaves room for interpretation. Generally some common sense should be applied. For example if Lufthansa brings the 321 to a destination that is typically served with a A320 this would not really qualify IMO (not really the talk of the town), but if they would bring the 747 it certainly would.

As Kas said first visits do qualify.
Rare visits of special liveries normally not.
So in that case I think Icelandair brought the 757 to Berlin before, so it normally would not apply... But again if this was the first visit ever of an FI 757-300 there, one could make a point.

But generally first visits of a type / airline would apply.

Hope this makes it more clear (and not confuses more).

Julien

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:15 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
Hi Svein,

there was an update to the priority screening rules 2 years back:
See here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1380237

airkas1 wrote:

In addition, we now also offer priority screening to local newsworthy events. This also includes newsworthy first visits to your airport. Basically, any type of movement that is the talk of the town. To further increase your chances and since we are not always aware of the things that might be happening at your local place, we really need you to write a comment to the screeners with an explanation as to why you think the photo should be screened with priority. For these local priority photos, it is our intention to also offer more social media exposure to them (but no banner). Sometimes this may be with a delay due to timezone differences of the crew.

That would mean the Euroatlantic 767 you mentioned would qualify for prio screening, in case it was never there before.
We all know this new paragraph leaves room for interpretation. Generally some common sense should be applied. For example if Lufthansa brings the 321 to a destination that is typically served with a A320 this would not really qualify IMO (not really the talk of the town), but if they would bring the 747 it certainly would.

As Kas said first visits do qualify.
Rare visits of special liveries normally not.
So in that case I think Icelandair brought the 757 to Berlin before, so it normally would not apply... But again if this was the first visit ever of an FI 757-300 there, one could make a point.

But generally first visits of a type / airline would apply.

Hope this makes it more clear (and not confuses more).

Julien

Thanks for the update!

That makes sense and I understand the reasoning behind it. However, in the case of regular diversion airports like KEF, we often get special unplanned visitors out of the blue such as A380s, 777s etc from various airlines that would never otherwise visit. Do those aircraft then qualify as well based on that "talk of the town" criteria? Not trying to muck things up at all, just wondering out loud. :)

Cheers,
Sveinn

Miguel1982
Head Screener

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 pm

They would qualify, yes. Would be even better if you could add a caption describing what's the ocasion, as most likely we would not be aware of the circumstances.

Cheers,
Miguel