clickhappy
Topic Author

Anyone running a 5k monitor?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Anyone running a 5k monitor? If so, how do you like it? Any learning curve from what you see on screen to getting an image accepted here?

dvincent

Re: Anyone running a 5k monitor?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Which 5K monitor are you looking at? There's several, and the opinion is different depending on the one you choose.

Most of the Ultrawide 5Ks have densities similar to 1440p monitors, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep in line in terms of what resolution is being expected.
From the Mind of Minolta

Stitch

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:48 pm

I have owned a 2014, 2015 and 2017 iMac 5K and I love the display.

clickhappy
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:17 am

Dan - I went with the LG 34BK95U-W 34" 21:9 UltraWide 5K2K WUHD Nano IPS Monitor. Whatever that means :laughing:

Stitch! What are you doing slumming in this forum?

dvincent

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm

clickhappy wrote:
Dan - I went with the LG 34BK95U-W 34" 21:9 UltraWide 5K2K WUHD Nano IPS Monitor. Whatever that means :laughing:

You should be fine, it's a good display with a lot of working room.
From the Mind of Minolta

Silver1SWA

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:01 pm

clickhappy wrote:
Anyone running a 5k monitor? If so, how do you like it? Any learning curve from what you see on screen to getting an image accepted here?

I stopped bothering when I got my 5K iMac. Kept my old monitor briefly to get photos accepted but eventually said screw it.

If anyone does have advice for getting photos accepted using a 5K retina screen, I’m interested as well. A recent change of scenery has renewed my interest in aviation photography.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

McG1967

Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
If anyone does have advice for getting photos accepted using a 5K retina screen, I’m interested as well. A recent change of scenery has renewed my interest in aviation photography.

What is the PPI of the 5K retina screen?
My 13 inch Macbook Pro with retina screen has a PPI of 227 and a 2560 x 1600 pixels.

Normally I upload here at 72 PPI and 1200 x 800 pixels. To check sharpness of images exported from Lightroom, I will export at 144 PPI and 1600 pixels wide when using my Macbook for editing. I can't remember who posted the tip about doubling the PPI of the exported image to check its sharpness before uploading.

Psych

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello Royal. I now have an iMac, with the 5k screen. Lovely to look at and do general photography, but no chance at all to use it for photos here. Even at my new preferred size of 1600px for photos here they display so small on that monitor it is impossible to judge something like sharpening, and we know how the margins for sharpening can be paper thin around these parts! So I have used my old monitor to stand any chance of editing for that smaller size.

Cheers x Paul

Silver1SWA

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Psych wrote:
Hello Royal. I now have an iMac, with the 5k screen. Lovely to look at and do general photography, but no chance at all to use it for photos here. Even at my new preferred size of 1600px for photos here they display so small on that monitor it is impossible to judge something like sharpening, and we know how the margins for sharpening can be paper thin around these parts! So I have used my old monitor to stand any chance of editing for that smaller size.

Cheers x Paul

Do you think the average viewer keeps a second monitor handy to view photos on this site? :scratchchin:

;)
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.