jakewo4
Topic Author

need camera settings

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:49 pm

hey guys i would like to know what you think is the best settings for just going to a airport no airshow. im not new to plane photography ive been doing this for 2 years but as of lately im have not been happy with my results i think that might be cause i joined here and saw all of your pictures. what settings do you use for your plane photogrphy i use canon
specs
-canon 7d (not the mark 2 )
-canon 70-300mm L IS F4-F5.6

thank you in advance

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: need camera settings

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:53 pm

- Make sure the sun is in your back
- Shoot at Av
- F8
- Make sure the shutter speed is above 1/500. If not, bump up the ISO in steps to max 200 until you achieve a shutter speed higher than 1/500.

jakewo4
Topic Author

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 pm

alrighty thank you

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:26 pm

jakewo4 wrote:
hey guys i would like to know what you think is the best settings for just going to a airport no airshow. im not new to plane photography ive been doing this for 2 years but as of lately im have not been happy with my results i think that might be cause i joined here and saw all of your pictures. what settings do you use for your plane photogrphy i use canon
specs

thank you in advance

What settings do you currently use?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jakewo4
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:35 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
jakewo4 wrote:
specs

thank you in advance

What settings do you currently use?

im using tv at 1/800 and iso auto,ai servo with continuous shooting

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:38 pm

jakewo4 wrote:
im using tv at 1/800 and iso auto,ai servo with continuous shooting

Thanks.

What's wrong with your results? Can you link to one of your photos?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jakewo4
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:07 pm

airkas1 wrote:
- Make sure the sun is in your back
- Shoot at Av
- F8
- Make sure the shutter speed is above 1/500. If not, bump up the ISO in steps to max 200 until you achieve a shutter speed higher than 1/500.

hello again i looked on my camera and took some test shots i dont get to 1/500 until about 1600 iso do you know why?

JakTrax

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Auto ISO kind of assumes you've got the world's unsteadiest hands and so over-compensates by selecting an often ridiculously high value. In bright conditions I'd set the ISO to a base 200 (many would argue 100 but the difference is practically non-existent and so always better to get the shutter speed up) and the aperture to between f/6.3 and f/11, depending on how close you are to your subject. The f/8 rule is a good place to start but it's not always appropriate — best to learn the relationship between aperture, ISO and shutter speed (known as the 'triangle') as they're all relative to each other.

Depending on what you're doing the best modes are Av, Tv and M. If you can master M you have more direct control over your images, however it can be very difficult when the scene is constantly changing, e.g. a fast-moving aircraft traversing a varying background.

Like I say, take time out to learn about the photography 'triangle' and you'll know what mode to use and when. Just avoid any of the auto modes as DSLRs are terrible in auto!

Karl

jakewo4
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:38 pm

JakTrax wrote:
Auto ISO kind of assumes you've got the world's unsteadiest hands and so over-compensates by selecting an often ridiculously high value. In bright conditions I'd set the ISO to a base 200 (many would argue 100 but the difference is practically non-existent and so always better to get the shutter speed up) and the aperture to between f/6.3 and f/11, depending on how close you are to your subject. The f/8 rule is a good place to start but it's not always appropriate — best to learn the relationship between aperture, ISO and shutter speed (known as the 'triangle') as they're all relative to each other.

Depending on what you're doing the best modes are Av, Tv and M. If you can master M you have more direct control over your images, however it can be very difficult when the scene is constantly changing, e.g. a fast-moving aircraft traversing a varying background.

Like I say, take time out to learn about the photography 'triangle' and you'll know what mode to use and when. Just avoid any of the auto modes as DSLRs are terrible in auto!

Karl

ok thank you but like another guy said here i don't get to 1/500 shutter speed until about 1600 iso and that would lose image quality do you know why i have a canon 7d i don't know if it's just my camera or something else

JakTrax

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Are you test shooting indoors or in bright sunlight? If in sunlight and you're not on auto ISO(?) there's a rogue setting somewhere that needs sorting. Select a semi-auto mode (or manual) and set the ISO yourself, to 200.

jakewo4
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:02 pm

JakTrax wrote:
Are you test shooting indoors or in bright sunlight? If in sunlight and you're not on auto ISO(?) there's a rogue setting somewhere that needs sorting. Select a semi-auto mode (or manual) and set the ISO yourself, to 200.

i tested it on some flowers outdoors not in bright sunlight it was about 6 to 7 in the evening

for the manual thing i used manual and i get soft photos again dunno if its my settings for manual i used f5.6 and changed the shutter speed depending on how bright it was im willing to give it another go but what settings are best?

and i am on auto iso

JakTrax

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm

The settings you use for flowers in your garden are going to be a lot different to those used for aviation. You need to learn about the capturing process to better understand what your camera/lens is doing.

First, set the camera to a semi-manual mode (preferably Av or Tv) then set the ISO manually to 200. If the shutter speed isn't fast enough, bump up the ISO or lower the aperture (however bear in mind that a wider aperture decreases depth-of-field and so part of your image may not be in focus).

Basically there are no 'best settings' because it depends almost entirely on what you want to photograph, your distance from the subject and the amount of light available. An aircraft is a hell of a lot further away from you than a flower in your garden so you (typically) need less depth-of-field and can therefore use a wider aperture to let more light hit the sensor. The flower, on the other hand, will require a narrower aperture to ensure everything is in focus (depending on how much background blur or bokeh you want); it's also likely going to fill your frame and limit the amount of light entering the lens.
Last edited by JakTrax on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silver1SWA

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Bright sunny day

-Sun at your back (although I hate this “rule”)
-Manual Mode
-ISO 100
-f/7.1
-Shutter 1/640sec

If clouds become a factor, reduce shutter to 1/400 or open aperture to f/6.3 or boost ISO to 200 or any combination of those three until you get the desired exposure. Same applies in the evening as you lose light, but eventually ISO will need to keep going up.

Depending on the lens, avoid wide open apertures, especially at the highest zoom length which tends to be softer anyway.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jakewo4
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:34 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
Bright sunny day

-Manual Mode
-ISO 100
-f/7.1
-Shutter 1/640sec

If clouds become a factor, reduce shutter to 1/400 or open aperture to f/6.3 or boost ISO to 200 or any combination of those three until you get the desired exposure. Same applies in the evening as you lose light, but eventually ISO will need to keep going up.

Depending on the lens, avoid wide open apertures, especially at the highest zoom length which tends to be softer anyway.

ok thank you but do you have to manual focus cause i can't do that with fast moving jets

Silver1SWA

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 am

jakewo4 wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
Bright sunny day

-Manual Mode
-ISO 100
-f/7.1
-Shutter 1/640sec

ok thank you but do you have to manual focus cause i can't do that with fast moving jets

No, use autofocus. But whether you use single shot or continuous/servo mode is up to you (and your camera). Personally I use single shot focus because continuous/servo tends to hunt too much. I focus before every shot/burst.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jakewo4
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
jakewo4 wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
Bright sunny day

-Manual Mode
-ISO 100
-f/7.1
-Shutter 1/640sec

No, use autofocus. But whether you use single shot or continuous/servo mode is up to you (and your camera). Personally I use single shot focus because continuous/servo tends to hunt too much. I focus before every shot/burst.

ok thank you

JakTrax

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
Personally I use single shot focus because continuous/servo tends to hunt too much. I focus before every shot/burst.

I'm glad someone else recognises this! Seems more of an issue with later cameras that have (apparently) more complex and reliable AF systems. I have to use my 80D in one-shot as the results with servo are often slightly out. Never had this problem with my 1300/350/30/50D. My 6D suffers similarly but is more reliable than the 80.

I'm currently looking into Canon's mirrorless system as the AF should (in theory) be more reliable in the continuous focus modes. Only trouble is that they're currently a little behind the competition, although the EOS R receives more negativity than is warranted. RF lenses look incredible though!

Karl

Kaphias

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:54 pm

JakTrax wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
Personally I use single shot focus because continuous/servo tends to hunt too much. I focus before every shot/burst.

I'm glad someone else recognises this! Seems more of an issue with later cameras that have (apparently) more complex and reliable AF systems. I have to use my 80D in one-shot as the results with servo are often slightly out. Never had this problem with my 1300/350/30/50D. My 6D suffers similarly but is more reliable than the 80.

I'm currently looking into Canon's mirrorless system as the AF should (in theory) be more reliable in the continuous focus modes. Only trouble is that they're currently a little behind the competition, although the EOS R receives more negativity than is warranted. RF lenses look incredible though!

Karl

I like to use subject tracking or a centered focus area on my a6000, otherwise it hunts a lot when using continuous.