User avatar
Runway28L
Topic Author
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Lately I've kept getting pegged with the same rejection reasons for almost every photo (usually low contrast, blurry, or soft) after waiting over 16 days to have images screened. Ever since the queue got backed up last month, my acceptance rate has nosedived and there appears to be a direct correlation between the two. This leads me to ask... were quality standards heightened on this site recently? I upload to several other sites and it has been nowhere near as stringent as it has been on A.net as of late. Uploading here over the past month has been the most frustrating it has ever been during my entire time on here. It's to the point where I'm considering pulling all of my photos from screening until the queue gets shorter. :(

I'll add that I have changed absolutely nothing with regards to camera settings or my editing workflow.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7689
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Speaking just for myself, I do tend to screen a little more black & white when the queue is high like it is now. But that doesn't mean enforcing stricter standards. If anything, I feel like I accept more. Screening black and white in this case means that I spend a few seconds less when looking at a photo. So if it looks good at first glance, chances are I will accept faster. So it doesn't really differ all that much from normal, aside from going through my screening batch faster.

Not sure if that helps though, I haven't rejected a photo of yours recently. Will have a look at the photos you linked in the other thread later.
 
JKPhotos
Screener
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 am

Well I've had a look at your screening log and can only see three low contrast rejections. That C-17 made it in a reupload, the AA had more like unfavourable harsh light.
Other than that a few of your landing shots look indeed slightly blurry. Without seeing the original a bit hard to tell what's the reason for it (there could be several).
All in all I can see no extremly harsh rejection there.

So I am sorry to say but I don't think it is a case of higher standards to the site. If you want we can offer dedicated help for some of the shots,
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12475
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Based on the shots in your Feedback thread:

B6 and BA look slightly blurry, but borderline. I've seen the same or slightly worse accepted.
AA looks a bit more blurry than borderline.
AS definitely looks blurry.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Topic Author
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 pm

JKPhotos, I had about 5-7 more shots in my queue but I deleted them after those three initial rejections. All were taken on the same day and I didn't feel confident enough to have them screened anymore.

Vikkyvik, that's what really gets me the most. They aren't the most spectacular, but I've had worse get accepted somehow, so I figured those would have had at least some sort of chance. I guess not though.

I believe I'm starting to push my current Nikon 300mm beyond it's limits. Currently looking at several different lenses, mainly the Sigma 100-400mm and 150-600mm lenses.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
User avatar
ufospotter
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Yes ,quality standards changed, my account had deleted ,and i created account again ,i uploaded same photos those had accepted years ago , but rejected this time
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12475
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Vikkyvik, that's what really gets me the most. They aren't the most spectacular, but I've had worse get accepted somehow, so I figured those would have had at least some sort of chance. I guess not though.


It is what it is. Borderline shots will by definition sometimes get accepted and sometimes get rejected.

ufospotter wrote:
i uploaded same photos those had accepted years ago , but rejected this time


How long ago were they accepted?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7689
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:31 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
ufospotter wrote:
i uploaded same photos those had accepted years ago , but rejected this time


How long ago were they accepted?

Just for full disclosure;
He got banned (+ all photos deleted) on his first account back in March for continously uploading and appealing marginal and unfixed photos, for which he had been warned plenty of times. Plus leaving 'fuck u' comments under photos and posting similar texts on the forum and via E-mail. The ban was set until the end of September 2019. On April 1 (no joke), his second account got banned as he uploaded the exact same unfixed marginal photo that got his first account banned. Then he made a third account (different name than the other 2), which we intended to let him have as long as he didn't cause a scene again. But then he changed that account to his original name, leaving us little choice to ban that one until September as well.

As Vik mentioned, borderline shots can go either way every time, but in this case the learning curve seems to be very flat.
 
User avatar
ufospotter
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:23 am

The headscreener upstairs, please talk to your conscience, and it's a bit of a human nature,
"He got banned (+ all photos deleted) on his first account back in March for continously uploading and appealing marginal and unfixed photos," Every time I reupload the photo, I edited it, but screeners didn't look carefully, and then arbitrarily said there was no change.
This time, I didn't violate any rules for uploading pictures. I just wanted to use the original name. As a result, it was banned. It was really a mess. Is this their world, and there is no justice?
 
User avatar
Crosswindphoto
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 am

I think the above justifies my reasoning for the need of a thread where the crew post a look into the nasty emails and messages they get, because they’re a good lesson in what not to do, and they’re funny!
 
User avatar
ufospotter
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Vikkyvik, that's what really gets me the most. They aren't the most spectacular, but I've had worse get accepted somehow, so I figured those would have had at least some sort of chance. I guess not though.


It is what it is. Borderline shots will by definition sometimes get accepted and sometimes get rejected.

ufospotter wrote:
i uploaded same photos those had accepted years ago , but rejected this time


How long ago were they accepted?

About two or three years ago
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12475
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Just for full disclosure;He got banned (+ all photos deleted) on his first account back in March for continously uploading and appealing marginal and unfixed photos, for which he had been warned plenty of times. Plus leaving 'fuck u' comments under photos and posting similar texts on the forum and via E-mail. The ban was set until the end of September 2019. On April 1 (no joke), his second account got banned as he uploaded the exact same unfixed marginal photo that got his first account banned. Then he made a third account (different name than the other 2), which we intended to let him have as long as he didn't cause a scene again. But then he changed that account to his original name, leaving us little choice to ban that one until September as well.


Ha. That's pretty funny. People take A.net way too seriously.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
fsx98
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Lately I've kept getting pegged with the same rejection reasons for almost every photo (usually low contrast, blurry, or soft) after waiting over 16 days to have images screened. Ever since the queue got backed up last month, my acceptance rate has nosedived and there appears to be a direct correlation between the two. This leads me to ask... were quality standards heightened on this site recently? I upload to several other sites and it has been nowhere near as stringent as it has been on A.net as of late. Uploading here over the past month has been the most frustrating it has ever been during my entire time on here. It's to the point where I'm considering pulling all of my photos from screening until the queue gets shorter. :(

I'll add that I have changed absolutely nothing with regards to camera settings or my editing workflow.


I'm kind of on the same boat as you are, Evan; recently I had a couple of photos from my LAX trip that were rejected for various reasons - most notably, the AS B739, AA CRJ7, and the DL B712, all in which were last rejected for blurry and soft (all since were re-uploaded w/ downsized photo and an extra kick of sharpness); I'm starting to get discouraged with these rejections, as three of the photos accepted on a.net (AS A319, AA E175, and DL E175) were taken at the same site as these rejected photos stated earlier; not sure if I could rule out screener inconsistency, as all of these photos were taken under similar conditions, and also given that these photos were edited under the consistent workflow.

As you mentioned about uploading photos to other aviation photography sites, I had created one on another aviation photography site two months ago and as of date, I had at least 6 photos that were accepted over the other site that would not be passable on a.net; while I still stand by the strict a.net quality standards to upload photos and will edit my photos to a.net upload standards first, I feel like my time is no longer valued when it comes to waiting for my edited photos to be screened at a.net (~2 weeks compared to ~9 days at another aviation photo site). I understood that screeners have real-life obligations to carry, but was wondering if having more screeners would help alleviate the backlog of the screening queue?

Normally I don't want to be the person to rant about the screening process (as I do respect the screeners at a.net), but wanted to share my opinion about it.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7689
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi Victor,

I'm not seeing your post as a rant and I appreciate the honest opinion. But please allow me to be very honest then as well.
I do understand your point and that seemingly inconsistent screening is going on. I will never claim that we are 100% consistent, but I think you could also do better. Every time I look in your thread, I see the same kind of photos; taken in marginal/poor light and it reflects in the quality of the photos. In my mind I've tried to tell you this a few times, but perhaps not in strong enough words. Vik's words come into play again; the result can go both ways.

fsx98 wrote:
wondering if having more screeners would help alleviate the backlog of the screening queue?

More active screeners would. If the current set would be more active, then it would be fine as well. Although it's nothing new; in the summer months we usually see a peak in the queue due to screener holidays and then later in the year (at times) when summer is over and the weather becomes better for being indoors and editing.
 
User avatar
fsx98
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:32 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hi Victor,

I'm not seeing your post as a rant and I appreciate the honest opinion. But please allow me to be very honest then as well.
I do understand your point and that seemingly inconsistent screening is going on. I will never claim that we are 100% consistent, but I think you could also do better. Every time I look in your thread, I see the same kind of photos; taken in marginal/poor light and it reflects in the quality of the photos. In my mind I've tried to tell you this a few times, but perhaps not in strong enough words. Vik's words come into play again; the result can go both ways.

fsx98 wrote:
wondering if having more screeners would help alleviate the backlog of the screening queue?

More active screeners would. If the current set would be more active, then it would be fine as well. Although it's nothing new; in the summer months we usually see a peak in the queue due to screener holidays and then later in the year (at times) when summer is over and the weather becomes better for being indoors and editing.


Thanks for the honest statement, Kas; as a plane spotter, I do my best to learn from past rejected photos, such as finding a perfect time and location to spot planes (in which conditions allow, such as having the sun behind the spotter's back), and also improve my editing skills on PS (adjusting contrast, exposure, and adding sharpness). Having read and understood your statement, I will ensure that any obviously backlit or poorly-lit photos will not be edited or uploaded.

Also thanks for the info on the screening processes in the summer and winter seasons; I'll keep that in consideration when uploading in various times of the year.
 
User avatar
Crosswindphoto
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:41 pm

This might be a dumb idea, but I’m gonna float it anyway.
What about seasonal/temporary screeners? Uploaders who have lots of free time, and have a certain number of photos in the DB, and can be trusted to screen reliably, what if they helped out to knock the queue down in the peak months?
It would be a commit to thing as well and by no means permanent, or any screener special treatment etc.
 
JakTrax
Posts: 5018
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:30 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm

I'll chip in on the issue of blurry images because I feel it perhaps needs addressing....

I see quite a few genuinely blurry shots in the feedback forum but some the screeners claim are blurry puzzle me at times; not because they're succinctly blurry but because it's impossible to tell at the (mostly) tiny sizes we upload at here. When I migrated to another site a few years back I started uploading at a minimum of 1400 pixels wide; on the odd occasion I chose to also upload here I again chose 1400 pixels (admittedly so I didn't have to produce two edits). I now upload at 2000 pixels and so coming back here and looking at images downsized to 1000 pixels is really a strain on my eyes. In my opinion it's just too small to properly pick out faults; not only that but I've seen perfectly sharp original images reduced to 1024 pixels and they look... blurry!

I also think the way modern sensors work is compounding the issue, as we lose sharpness on a per-pixel basis. To my eye images taken with the current crop of 24mp cameras just don't seem as sharp overall as those taken on cameras from 10 years ago. Kas and I had a discussion recently about CA along high-contrast edges, and how that can give the illusion of softness and, in some cases, blur.

In this day and age is it not time to up the minimum size to something greater than 1000 pixels? I know a multitude of sins can be masked at small sizes but conversely fine detail is often reduced or just not preserved at all. If we must stick with tiny images would it not be better to only allow it for images that push the envelope, i.e. those that are inherently going to suffer flaws? If a LH A320 isn't of sufficient quality to upload at a minimum of 1400 pixels, do we really need it in the database anyway? Having been viewing images of at least 1400 pixels recently it makes me realise just how aesthetically unpleasing these tiny images are. They may make a not-so-perfect image look better but they also can make great images look poor.

Karl
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4570
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:34 am

JakTrax wrote:
I'll chip in on the issue of blurry images because I feel it perhaps needs addressing....

I see quite a few genuinely blurry shots in the feedback forum but some the screeners claim are blurry puzzle me at times; not because they're succinctly blurry but because it's impossible to tell at the (mostly) tiny sizes we upload at here. When I migrated to another site a few years back I started uploading at a minimum of 1400 pixels wide; on the odd occasion I chose to also upload here I again chose 1400 pixels (admittedly so I didn't have to produce two edits). I now upload at 2000 pixels and so coming back here and looking at images downsized to 1000 pixels is really a strain on my eyes. In my opinion it's just too small to properly pick out faults; not only that but I've seen perfectly sharp original images reduced to 1024 pixels and they look... blurry!

I also think the way modern sensors work is compounding the issue, as we lose sharpness on a per-pixel basis. To my eye images taken with the current crop of 24mp cameras just don't seem as sharp overall as those taken on cameras from 10 years ago. Kas and I had a discussion recently about CA along high-contrast edges, and how that can give the illusion of softness and, in some cases, blur.

In this day and age is it not time to up the minimum size to something greater than 1000 pixels? I know a multitude of sins can be masked at small sizes but conversely fine detail is often reduced or just not preserved at all. If we must stick with tiny images would it not be better to only allow it for images that push the envelope, i.e. those that are inherently going to suffer flaws? If a LH A320 isn't of sufficient quality to upload at a minimum of 1400 pixels, do we really need it in the database anyway? Having been viewing images of at least 1400 pixels recently it makes me realise just how aesthetically unpleasing these tiny images are. They may make a not-so-perfect image look better but they also can make great images look poor.

Karl


In this day and age most photo hobbyist circles are chasing the megapixels, spending thousands of dollars switching to the mirrorless platform to get those fancy new Sony sensors and are primarily uploading to Instagram where all images are displayed at 1080 pixels, to be viewed on super sharp 8 inch phone screens. Makes a lot of sense, right? :roll:

Makes about as much sense and scrutinizing sharpness at such small resolutions these days. But that’s just my opinion.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
User avatar
dvincent
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I make prints nowadays, and there's only so much a 96 DPI monitor can show. Sometimes, density is a good thing. Looking at a proper photo on a retina screen or even just making a reasonable print can make even an average photo look nicer. Living the 42 MP life and haven't looked back in two years.
From the Mind of Minolta
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7689
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Crosswindphoto wrote:
This might be a dumb idea, but I’m gonna float it anyway.
What about seasonal/temporary screeners? Uploaders who have lots of free time, and have a certain number of photos in the DB, and can be trusted to screen reliably, what if they helped out to knock the queue down in the peak months?
It would be a commit to thing as well and by no means permanent, or any screener special treatment etc.

Honestly I would rather prefer someone like that as a permanent screener over just seasonal.
 
User avatar
Crosswindphoto
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Well, I can say that I’m like that, but I’m not sure if I have the qualifications for it....
 
dutchspotter1
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:36 am

Speaking of quality standards, how come this blurry photo got accepted and even promoted on FB?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Italy-A ... ER/5591835
NO URLS in signature
 
User avatar
Crosswindphoto
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Simply put: it’s a fantastic looking shot, the blurriness is minor and the angle is great, unless it was really blurry, there isn’t a need for a rejection.
 
User avatar
Miguel1982
Head Screener
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:46 pm

It is indeed too blurry and was accepted by mistake. The photographer has been notified already and the shot will be removed.

I have to agree that the angle and the motive are great, but in this case the quality just isn't there.

Cheers,
Miguel
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4570
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

Miguel1982 wrote:
It is indeed too blurry and was accepted by mistake. The photographer has been notified already and the shot will be removed.

I have to agree that the angle and the motive are great, but in this case the quality just isn't there.

Cheers,
Miguel


Only saw on my phone. Looked like a nice shot...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12641
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:00 pm

airkas1 wrote:
He got banned (+ all photos deleted) on his first account back in March for continously uploading and appealing marginal and unfixed photos, for which he had been warned plenty of times. Plus leaving 'fuck u' comments under photos and posting similar texts on the forum and via E-mail. The ban was set until the end of September 2019. On April 1 (no joke), his second account got banned as he uploaded the exact same unfixed marginal photo that got his first account banned. Then he made a third account (different name than the other 2), which we intended to let him have as long as he didn't cause a scene again. But then he changed that account to his original name, leaving us little choice to ban that one until September as well.

As Vik mentioned, borderline shots can go either way every time, but in this case the learning curve seems to be very flat.


There are no words! :roll:
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,
 
NwaAviator
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:24 pm

I think so, looking at fr24 and saw a shot that was cropped horribly with one wing totally missing with the top of the fuselage. I guess it just depends on the screener.
 
User avatar
Miguel1982
Head Screener
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:45 pm

NwaAviator wrote:
I think so, looking at fr24 and saw a shot that was cropped horribly with one wing totally missing with the top of the fuselage. I guess it just depends on the screener.


I'm afraid you are talking about another site if coming from fr24...
 
dutchspotter1
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Miguel1982 wrote:
It is indeed too blurry and was accepted by mistake. The photographer has been notified already and the shot will be removed.

I have to agree that the angle and the motive are great, but in this case the quality just isn't there.

Cheers,
Miguel

I guess the same applies to this one: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Romania ... -C/5628777
NO URLS in signature
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Posts: 7689
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 pm

I knew this would be the photo concerned. It has our attention and will likely be removed. Obvious bad quality.
 
dutchspotter1
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Have quality standards changed on here recently?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Still remains a mystery how such (obviously bad quality) photos are being accepted while other (higher quality) photos are being rejected. Sure, once could be an accident, but now it's starting to make people raise their eyebrows regarding the screening policy/consistency.
NO URLS in signature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos