airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Re: Airliners.net Photo Upload & Acceptance Guide

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:58 am

Size

The size of your photo was too small or had an invalid width/height size ratio. Normally, the upload page will actively give you an error if the size of your photo is incorrect, meaning a size rejection is very uncommon. However, there is a bug that allows for square(ish) photos to be upoaded. We do not accept such photos, so please do not upload them.

High resolution images show more flaws than low resolution images. We therefore advise everyone to upload images at 1200-1600 pixels wide. Uploading higher resolutions (with a maximum of 1920 pixels wide) should only be done with very high quality images and sufficient editing experience. Keep in mind that not every photo is suitable for uploading in the highest size. If you choose to upload your photo at a larger size, please refrain from commenting about the size in the remarks field. Such comments, if added, will be removed during the screening process.

Note: A copyright banner of 12 pixels will be added to the Height during the upload process.

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Soft

Your photo(s) had a soft appearance. This does not mean they are blurry or out of focus, but that they need an extra kick of sharpness. This can be done by using the sharpen function of your image editing software. But be careful not to sharpen your pictures too much, because that may lead to so-called "jaggies" and can subsequently also lead to an oversharpened rejection.

Note: Sometimes you may get a rejection for soft and oversharpened at the same time. This means that one part of the image is soft while another is oversharpened. It may seem like a conflicting message but it relates to different parts of the image. In such cases, we try to leave you a personal message explaining the areas in question, but this may not always be possible.

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Underexposed

Your photo(s) is underexposed or too dark.

1. If the photo is underexposed it is probably caused by incorrect camera settings or by incorrect processing. You can try to brighten the image during processing, but this can often result in a noisy appearance, thus leading to a noisy rejection. Try adjusting the levels in your image editing software, or adjust the exposure when converting RAW images.
2. This rejection may also apply to images where the overall image is exposed correctly, yet there is insufficient contrast between the subject of the shot (aircraft) and its surroundings. This can sometimes occur in dawn/dusk shots or when highly-reflective surfaces have affected the metering of the shot.

Example 1: Underexposure

The left side of this image looks underexposed. The right side of the image was corrected and is now more or less properly 'exposed'. Keep in mind that even sunny daytime photos can still end up being underexposed. Another commonly seen issue is that the aircraft is correctly exposed, but the rest of the image looks quite dark.

As mentioned above, you can get a dark rejection for a properly exposed shot when there is insufficient contrast between the aircraft and the surroundings. This will often occur when there is not enough available light because you are shooting on very dark and cloudy days (applies especially to very common aircraft), or at night when there is minimal ambient light. You may also get this rejection when shooting backlit subjects.

Example 2: Cloudy days

This image would be rejected for underexposure because there was not enough available light on this moment of the day. The contrast between the main subject and its surroundings is too low. This image cannot be fixed by tweaking the exposure (unlike example 1). This does not mean you should not shoot on cloudy days, but in many cases these conditions do not help the photo. This rejection could also be given if you photographed an aircraft at night without enough available light, so that you can hardly distinguish the aircraft from its background.

Example 3: Backlit image

This shot was taken not with the sun in the photographer's back but nearly shining in the camera. This will cause the aircraft too look very dark. Note also how this image can not be saved as image 1 can. It would cause the light portions of the aircraft to be blown out resulting in an overexposed rejection. The same goes for aircraft that are lit directly from above.Backlit/toplit photos rarely work. They would need a good motive to get added.

Even photos taken at night can be underexposed. Click here for an example. The top photo is underexposed, while the bottom photo has been edited. Photos taken during dawn/dusk/'blue hour' are more prone to being underexposed and will usually show room for improvement on the right side of the histogram. We suggest that you always check the histogram before uploading, to avoid unnessecary underexposed rejections.

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 am

Vignetting

Vignetting is the effect where a photo gets a lighter or darker towards the corners or edges of the photo. It is a result of lens limitations and it may occur all along the zoom range, depending on the aperture and focal length. Dark vignetting is the most common. It can however easily be corrected in Photoshop, especially in the RAW editor. If you shoot through a fence and part of the fence is visible (darker area on the photo) you may also receive this rejection.

Examples of vignetting. On the left side the actual photo, on the right side the equalized version, in which the vignetting becomes more apparent.

Dark

Light

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am

Photo upload FAQ

Why should I upload my photos to your web site?
It's basically an "all win" situation. You're a winner because you get to show your work to the world. Airliners.net is one of the largest aviation related websites. Many people pass though this site every day. You getting this good publicity for your photos and it's free. Also, many companies use this site to find good aviation photos they need for their publications or presentations. Our photos are regularly used (with permission of course) on various TV channels like CNN, BBC, ABC News, Discovery channel etc. So if your photos are good, you might earn some cash and recognition. The community also wins. The more photos, the bigger chance that John Doe finds just the photo he's looking for. It's a great feeling for you as a photographer to be able to display your photo collection and bring joy to people from all over the world. Lastly, this site wins as well. We get a bigger database -> we can serve our visitors better -> more visitors -> more photos -> bigger database and so on.

I represent an aviation photography company. How can we profit from this?
Airliners.net has many visitors and it's pretty safe to say that they are all interested in aviation photography. By sending us your photos you can reach all of these people and show them your work. If someone wants to buy your photos they simply contact you using the E-mail form that is linked to from each photo. Do you have a webpage? When you have uploaded your photos to us you can put our search engine on your own homepage and let it display just your photos! And remember, there are no space limitations as on your own homepage. You can have as many photos as you wish in our database. Feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

Can I send you any aviation photo?
No! You must have photographed it yourself and own the copyrights! Uploading photos that you do not own the copyrights to is a violation of international copyright laws and are subject to fines or prison depending on severity and country. To clarify this a bit, if we find out that you have uploaded one or more photos to us that you don't own the copyrights to we will naturally delete all your photos from the database and reject all future uploads from you. Furthermore we'll take legal action against you if we find that we have a case.

If you have uploaded photos that you don't own the copyrights to contact us as soon as possible and let us know about it. We usually don't make a big deal out of it if you contact us yourself. If you would like to send us photos taken by your friend or similar you must contact us prior to uploading them and give us some sort of proof that you have permission from the copyright holder to send them to us or they won't be added.

How important is the motive of the photo?
Important. We reject photos of low esthetic qualities (bad angle, included window reflections, pictured just a part of an aircraft, out of focus or similar) and photos picturing an aircraft far in the distance. Spend time finding the right light and angle, never shoot from behind a window, the shadow side of an aircraft, always hold the camera straight (in a straight (90 degree) angle to the ground) etc. We will reject unmotivated close-ups. The best views are always clear shot of the entire aircraft even though we don't have a special section for such.

Also, please refrain from sending many photos that look pretty much the same. If you got three shots taken with a seconds interval each, just send us the best looking one.

How many photos can I send in?
Our upload limits are listed in reply #5 of this thread.

I have all my photos in the X format, can I still send them to you?
Your photos should be uploaded as'.jpg' files. they will likely be automatically rejected on the upload page if you try any other format.

Does it matter what name I use as filename?
No, it should not matter. However, it is always recommended to use somewhat unique filenames.

What about the copyright issues?
You keep the copyright on all the photos you send in to us. You may not send us photos that you do not own the copyrights to.

How do I know if I own the copyrights to my photos?
If you have photographed them, you own the copyrights. There are no forms to fill in or anything like that. All images photographed by you are copyright protected and owned by you.

I can't use the web form to send in my photos for some reason. Can I send them by E-mail?
No, you will need to upload them yourself.

How do I fill out the fields on the upload page?
There is a help text bubble beside each entry, please familiarize yourself with the content of the help texts. If you fill out the fields incorrectly, chances are we will not add your photos to the database (read why below).

Why are you so picky on what I write in the different fields?
The photo info is saved in our database. If people do not use the same format, the database will get corrupted and search functionality will be compromised. Additionally, it increases the likelyhood that your photo will not show up in a search, thus limiting exposure. For example, lets say everybody uses the format 'Boeing 747' on the aircraft field but you feel that you want to use 'Boeing B747' (with a 'B' in front of the version designation). Your photo would automatically be ordered in a category of it's own and not be displayed together with the other Boeing 747's. Yes, we could fix this manually but we really have better things to do with our time.

What should I write in the Remark field and can I write it in my native language?
Always use English. Do not type in all CAPITALS and don't use the field for praising your photos ("A lovely photo!" and things like that). Instead supply as much info as you can (within reasonable limits) about the photo and the aircraft pictured.

Will you change the info I add to the different fields?
Yes, if the info is incorrect or if we or someone else has [relevant and important] additional information. We reserve the right to make changes as we see fit. However, we go by the motto: The info supplied by the photographer is always correct until proven wrong.

My camera automatically adds the date in the lower right corner of the photo. Is that OK?
No. Please disable that feature or use a different camera. Photos with such dates added are usually rejected.

Can I send you an irritated E-mail asking why my photo weren't added to the database even though the reason is clearly stated in the confirmation E-mail I got?
Yes, but you'll most likely just make us annoyed as well. If you have a point to make - make it. But don't call us names and/or use harsh language, that really doesn't help your case. Instead, read the confirmation E-mail thoroughly, take an objective second look at your rejected photo and read this thread again. If you still have a reason to contact us, please do. We're only human and can make mistakes. You also have the possibilty to post a link to your rejected pictures in the feedback forum, where you might get useful tips how to improve the quality of your photos or scans. But make sure to post there in a proper manner and don't call us names and dont use harsh language there either

My photo is very special but lacks a bit in quality. Should I upload it anyway?
Definitely. We don't have the same high standards for old photos, accident related, unusual aircraft/airlines or other special motives. Don't forget to mention why your photo is so special in the remarks field though.

How will I know when my photos have been added to the database?
The photos will be added within two weeks from when you uploaded them and you will receive a confirmation E-mail the second they are added.
You can check the queue progress here: https://www.airliners.net/user/photo-corner.

In the past, they were normally added within a day or so but the large amounts of photos uploaded todays makes that impossible. To view your photos (after having received the confirmation email), type in your name in the 'keyword' field on the frontpage of Airliners.net and select "Phtographer" from the pull down menu next to the keyword field. That will display all photos in the database taken by you (sorted with your most recent additions first). Please check your photos regularly for errors or doubles. If you find anything wrong use the "correction" tab situated underneath each photo in our database.

How do you have the NERVE to reject my photos?!
Well, naturally it's in our interest (and yours as well if you think about it) to keep the database quality high. If we choose to deny one or more of the photos you upload, you will receive an E-mail describing what photos were not added and the reasons for it. Please do not take it personal if we choose not to add one or more of your photos to the database. We receive many hundreds of photos daily and reject about 50 to 70 percent of them. The most frequent reasons are bad quality of different types. Don't try to reupload photos that have been rejected by our screening team without any changes done to improve the quality. Our screening team checks all uploads against recent rejections and if there is no change noticeable than the photo will be rejected also. Reuploads without any changes might result in a temporary ban from the site. If you don't agree with the screners decisions please use the appeal link provided in the E-mail you have got.

I've found many photos with lower quality than mine in the database. Still, my photos were rejected. Why?!
We have increased our quality rejection level many times since we started out. We accepted almost any photo that was sent to us a few years ago and has since then increased our standard and now only accept photos with high quality. This means that there might be photos in the database that was added some time ago that would not have passed the screening process today. We also have lower rejection levels for very unusual photos as well as older ones.

Ok, you didn't add my photo and that's cool but I don't understand/agree on the reason.
The rejection reasons are listed in the automatic E-mail. Those same reasons can be found in this thread, together with an explanation of what it means. If there is still something unclear, please start a thread I the feedback forum or E-mail the screeners. Don't just upload the photo again (It's bound to be rejected again) but instead really try to improve the photo. Have a look at other photos already in the database and compare them to yours.

My photos are really good. Can you give me more specific reasons to why they were rejected?
We only know what we see. There is not always a way for us to know if the problems are caused by the camera, lens, scanner or your neighbours cat. To get your photos rejected does not mean you are a bad photographer. Most of the professional photographers with photos in the database have got one or more of their photos rejected at some time.

Why are your rejection levels so extremely high and why do you keep rejecting my photos when other lower quality shots are added daily??
100% consistency is unfortunately not possible, but every screeners has the same instructions and photos should be rated on the same scale. We do not favor anyone.

I'm really afraid that someone will misuse my photo and have therefore added a large copyright sign covering half of it. Is that OK?
We do not allow for an own copyright text or logo on the photo. On the upload page, we offer a variety of watermark option. Additionally, a copyright bar is placed on every photo once they get accepted.

I can only find some of the photos I've uploaded in the database. Where are the rest??
Well, if we chose not to add some of your photos to the database, you should have gotten an E-mail about it. Otherwise, something might have gone wrong and for some reason we haven't received all your photos. Please submit them again and/or write us an E-mail telling us about your problems.

What if I want to have my photos removed from your site?
Well, if it comes to that we'll remove them.

I've uploaded a photo and I'd like to change some of the info or update the photo with a better quality one. How do I do this?
If you want to correct any information "Correction" link beside the photo and make the changes you would like to make.
If you want to update the photo with a better quality one, go to your photo corner. In the "Accepted" tab, look up the photo you wish to replace and you will see the "Reupload Photo" link on the right side next to the photo.

Should I use a digital or a standard camera?
Normally DSLR's are recommended, but nowadays mirrorless cameras are also very good. Even phone camera photos can sometimes get accepted, provided taken under the right conditions. If you want to have advise on this, ask your question(s) in the Photography Forum. Photos are judged by the standard of the date it was taken, meaning that older photos get much moore leeway than current DSLR cameras. So for example, if you decide to take a film camera out for some photos, the photos will still be judged by todays standard. So your film photo would have to be of exceptional quality to be accepted on Airliners.net.

I'd like some advice on what camera/film/scanner/lens to buy. Can you help?
Please ask this in the Photography Forum, there are people around who can advise you.

I have sent you an E-mail but got no reply. Why?!
We do our best to reply to everyone, but sometimes this can take a while.

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 am

Tips for newcomers

We often get asked what settings to use when starting out. Below you will find some suggestions if you are an absolute newcomer to the world of aviation photography.

- Try to get the sun in your back (e.g. don't photograph into the sun). When the sun is high (especially in the summer months), don't go out to the airport in the middle of the day, but try to go spotting in the mornings/evenings, when the sun is lower and light is better.
- Make sure you're relatively close to your subject, so you don't have to crop a lot.
- Try to have around values of around F7.1/8 and a shutter speed above 1/1500. Get to learn how the triangle shutterspeed/aperture/ISO works and is connected to each other.
- Improve your skills by trial and error. You can post your results in the feedback forum, where your peers and screeners will give you feedback.

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi all,

This thread is now temporarily open for any and all feedback. Something missing? Something to add? Errors? Typos? Let me know!

airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I finally managed to process all feedback and update photos/texts/etc. For housekeeping purposes, I've deleted all previous comments. The feedback window remains open until Sunday evening. I'm aiming for the thread to become official on Monday.