Page 1 of 1

Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:54 am
by AJY1818
Hi all, does anyone know any budget DSLRs good for aviation photography and within the $150-200 range and must be new. Thank you in advance

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:45 pm
by jakewo4
the only camera i can find which is around your price is the canon 4000D new which is about $250 but i also wouldn't say it's the best for aviation photography because it only has 3 fps and only 9 auto focus points the only thing i can suggest which is pretty good at aviation photography is the canon 7D mark I used for about $300 it has 7.5 fps only 19 auto focus points but it's loads better than the 4000D and only 50 dollars more. hope that helps

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:14 am
by flee
Why the need to buy a new DSLR at such a low price? You will only have a short kit lens (e.g. 18-55mm) to shoot with and photos you can take with such a setup will have to be easier and nearer targets.

It is probably better to save your money and get a mid-range DSLR kit equipped with a budget 70-300mm telezoom lens. With such a setup, you won't be so restricted in the type of photos you can get.

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 am
by JakTrax
Why is the 7D 'loads better than the 4000D'?

The 4000D benefits from a much newer processor and, unless you really need the increased burst rate, the extra fps isn't a game changer. 10 additional focus points for most aviation applications won't be noticeable in the real world either. Besides, the OP did specify a desire to buy new.

The only issue with the 4000D is its plastic lens mount, which will be vulnerable over time unless great care is taken.

It's all immaterial really since even the lowest-priced DSLR is outside your budget, not to mention the cost of a lens to compliment whatever comes as part of the kit.

Karl

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:11 am
by jakewo4
JakTrax wrote:
Why is the 7D 'loads better than the 4000D'?

The 4000D benefits from a much newer processor and, unless you really need the increased burst rate, the extra fps isn't a game changer. 10 additional focus points for most aviation applications won't be noticeable in the real world either. Besides, the OP did specify a desire to buy new.

The only issue with the 4000D is its plastic lens mount, which will be vulnerable over time unless great care is taken.

It's all immaterial really since even the lowest-priced DSLR is outside your budget, not to mention the cost of a lens to compliment whatever comes as part of the kit.

Karl

personally i think having an extra 4.5 frames is very important and with autofocus points i said it still only has 19 auto focus points i never said it was a lot more but that is an extra bonus. the better processor is im sure better but i use the canon 7D and i know it's an amazing camera for the price and i know alot of other people also think that. i have never used the canon 4000D so i cant comment on it to much but just with specs i think the 7D is better. if you own the canon 4000D and you got upset that i said your camera wasn't as good well i'm sorry, didn't mean to offend you. oh and i know he said he wanted NEW and i gave him an option but i also gave another alternative. i was just trying to help

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:39 am
by JakTrax
I don't own the 4000D and even if I did I wouldn't be offended. My point is that better isn't always 'better', if you know what I mean. The 7D was certainly a great camera but some low-end Canons have surpassed it now and its higher ISO performance was always lousy. For standard aviation shots (and even some trickier ones) most people will typically only use a single focus point as AF speed is affected when multiple points are selected. With this in mind how many focus points a camera has can be largely immaterial.

But like I/we said, with a maximum budget of only $200 he's not going to get very far buying new. He'd get a cheap body in a sale but it wouldn't be much good without a lens! Even the cheapest mirrorless systems are priced similarly to DSLRs.

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 am
by jakewo4
JakTrax wrote:
I don't own the 4000D and even if I did I wouldn't be offended. My point is that better isn't always 'better', if you know what I mean. The 7D was certainly a great camera but some low-end Canons have surpassed it now and its higher ISO performance was always lousy. For standard aviation shots (and even some trickier ones) most people will typically only use a single focus point as AF speed is affected when multiple points are selected. With this in mind how many focus points a camera has can be largely immaterial.

But like I/we said, with a maximum budget of only $200 he's not going to get very far buying new. He'd get a cheap body in a sale but it wouldn't be much good without a lens! Even the cheapest mirrorless systems are priced similarly to DSLRs.

yea i know some cameras a better than the 7D it's the one problem i have with it is the iso capability's but i have a programme which gets rid of all noise in the image so that isn't a down fall for me.with the af i also use the 1 point af system but i was just saying that because he might like having more af points. for me i don't see a better crop censor body for canon except the canon 7D 2 and the 80D but that's my opinion.

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am
by JakTrax
Noise reduction software is a bit of a double-edged sword as it doesn't actually 'get rid' of noise — rather it basically blurs parts of the image to give the effect of doing away with it. That's why you get a variety of ill-effects when you overuse NR software.

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:05 am
by jakewo4
JakTrax wrote:
Noise reduction software is a bit of a double-edged sword as it doesn't actually 'get rid' of noise — rather it basically blurs parts of the image to give the effect of doing away with it. That's why you get a variety of ill-effects when you overuse NR software.

i agree, but this software is amazing with keeping sharpness but adds the purple lines around the aircraft (forgot what that's called) but that's an easy fix just get the rubber in photoshop and your done.

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm
by vikkyvik
JakTrax wrote:
Why is the 7D 'loads better than the 4000D'?The 4000D benefits from a much newer processor and, unless you really need the increased burst rate, the extra fps isn't a game changer. 10 additional focus points for most aviation applications won't be noticeable in the real world either. Besides, the OP did specify a desire to buy new.The only issue with the 4000D is its plastic lens mount, which will be vulnerable over time unless great care is taken.


Completely agreed (stop the presses!).

The 4000D would likely take great airplane shots if paired with a decent lens. Just like pretty much any DSLR.

Re: Budget DSLR camera

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 am
by CrazyMad
By the way, tell me, on the latest camera models, so does the 4000D support presets?