Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Font 1/4 of the aircraft out of focus, soft and/or blurry

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi All,

I've been noticing on some of my shots that I've been getting a blurry and/or soft and/or out of focus nose on some aircraft I shoot, either it be military or civil. At the same time the rear and center of the aircraft is sharp. I keep my aperture where I know I get the sharpest shot at the locations I use, and adjust if necessary. I've tried stepping up and down and sometimes it doesn't work. I've had to use an old body while my primary one is in the shops getting repaired, and the same issue is still persistent.
It's starting to get annoying and ruining some really good shots. My primary lens I use is a Sigma 50-500MM with a Pentax K30/K3.
I can upload photos if need be to give a visual what I'm talking about

Thanks for the help,
Colin

airkas1

Re: Font 1/4 of the aircraft out of focus, soft and/or blurry

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi Colin,

Does it only happen with that lens or also with others? And only when shooting at full length?

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Couple possibilities:
1.) If shooting at low shutter speeds, this is a pretty common phenomenon, as the different parts of the aircraft move across the frame at different apparent speeds.
2.) Some lenses get soft toward the edges (typically at longer focal lengths...this goes along with Kas's question). This was a big issue with my old Canon 70-300 IS USM - noses would frequently be very soft, at focal lengths above 180mm.

JakTrax

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 am

The third possibility of course is that you've accidentally knocked the lens and an element has become misaligned. Kas' recommendation therefore is the best course of action to help narrow down the problem.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:21 am

Hey,

I am pretty sure it's a problem of the lense.

I've had that problem very recently as well (on a Canon "L" lense!) that all of a sudden on its long range noses were blurry or at least ultra-soft whereas the rest of the plane was tack-sharp. I could easily narrow it down to the lense, as I tried it with two bodies and the result were the same. I've sent it in to Canon and they calibrated it and now it seems to work properly again. Price was 200 EUR which is still okay IMO.

Not 100% sure where the problem came from, but I did accidentally knock it down somewhere back summer, so it is likely the result of it, as Karl suggested. I coud not have noticed it before as I didn't really shoot with its long range in the meantime.

So if yours worked properly before, I would try to get it aligned as well. Cannot tell how it is for Sigma lenses in the US though.
Otherwise as Vik noted it is typically a phenomenon of cheaper lenses, for Canon the 70-300 (non L),the 18-135 and the 55-250 are all experts for this.

Cheers.
Julien

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks for all the replies,
Kas,
It mainly happens with this particular lens.
Vik,
I acutly just got the lens back from Sigma a month or so ago from a cleaning a tune up, so it should be good to go. Usually when I shoot faster jets I'm keeping the shutter between 1/800-1/1200.
The focal length is usually between 200-400MM that I use it.
Julien,
Interesting, I had it in for a tune up not to long ago so they should've delt with any issues.

clickhappy

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:04 pm

I would take the camera/lens combo and mount it on a tripod (if you have one) and shoot a 3D object, like a chain link fence coming towards you or going away, with the VR off and check the results. You can also use a flat surface like a brick wall, but I think adding some depth will show you if any back or front focusing is happening.

Set the AF to center point and shoot at various apertures and focal lengths. I had a lens/camera combo that had the same issue you are describing, the solution was the use some AF fine tuning on the body.