Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mbondar
Topic Author

DSLR or mirrorless for stock images?

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm pretty new to photography and I shoot with an old Canon T3i with an 18-55mm lens. I know it's not the best camera in the world, but I think its sufficient for now. My question is, when I have the money to upgrade, would a DSLR or mirrorless be better in any way for stock photography? By that, I mean is the smaller size of mirrorless somehow an advantage? Or the longer battery life of DSLRs?

Another question I have is what stock sites are the best to try to get my images seen. There's just so many of them, many of which I've never heard of. I read about Dreamstime (https://www.photographytalk.com/dreamstime-review-a-solid-choice-for-stock-photographers) and it sounds like a good deal, but I had never heard of it until I came across this article on Google. I just don't want to hitch my wagon to a stock site that sucks, you know? Haha anyway, thanks for the help.

JakTrax

Re: DSLR or mirrorless for stock images?

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm

The end result is going to be identical — the difference is in how each type of camera arrives at that end result. Optical viewfinders are still better for fast action however many prefer the EVFs of mirrorless because they offer a faithful preview of the image to be captured. And yes, battery life is still longer with DSLRs but the gap is narrowing. I'm not sure how size would be an advantage for stock sites but...

I doubt DSLRs will die any time soon (if ever) but there's no doubt that things will shift primarily towards mirrorless. Canon's mirrorless offerings are really either tailored towards the beginner (M-mount) or pro (RF-mount); in the case of the RF-mount it's the lenses that do the damage to your bank balance! Sony is a good choice as they have the most established mirrorless system and offer something for all budgets, however with the EOS R/RP you can use the included adaptor to mount all your existing Canon glass (even EF-S lenses).

Since Canon's latest firmware update at the end of last month their RF system is now in second place (behind Sony, by a tiny fraction), and first place by quality of lenses.

Karl

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm

mbondar wrote:
My question is, when I have the money to upgrade, would a DSLR or mirrorless be better in any way for stock photography?

I tend to doubt it will make much difference for stock photography. But I guess it depends on what sort of subjects you'll be shooting.

mbondar wrote:
Another question I have is what stock sites are the best to try to get my images seen. There's just so many of them, many of which I've never heard of.

I'd imagine you'd want to upload to multiple sites. The competition has got to be fierce, with millions upon millions of stock photos out there.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seahawk

Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 am

Stock photography can be any kind of motive so there is no definite answer. If you want to go into landscape or food (similar to product photography) mirrorless is a good choice, as the ergonomics work out well and the AF and viewfinder do not need to be extremely fast. If you want to do animals or birds you still want an OVF and a very good AF, so a higher end DSLR would be the better choice.

superjeff

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:52 am

Mirrorless is the future, but as is alluded to above, it is the lenses that is the big long term cost. I just switched to Nikon's Z6, which will use (with an adapter) their previous mount lenses, and the picture quality is substantially the same; the weight of the mirrorless is a lot less. I would suggest you go to a reputable camera store (not a big box) and see how they feel. If you don't have a lot of money invested in lenses (for example, if your canon lenses are "kit" lenses, you may be able to compare the new Canon Mirrorless, the Nikons, and the Sony's, or even the Fuji, or the "Four Thirds" format sold by Olympus and Panasonic. They're all great cameras, so it boils down to which you feel more comfortable handling.

JakTrax

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Even in the 8 months since the start of this thread things have progressed. Canon has announced two new RF bodies, prices on the original two (R & RF) have dropped and a ton of new lenses are in the pipeline (including many more budget-friendly options). Nikon has been a bit slower with lenses but they too now have a firmware update improving AF (although it's still not as snappy as Sony or Canon).

Micro four-thirds seems to have stagnated and it appears that the ageing technology has perhaps reached its limit. Little innovation these days so if I were jumping to mirrorless I'd likely avoid the format.

Since this thread was started I bought an EOS RP and I've been extremely impressed with it from the outset — I get far fewer focus slip-ups and my exposures are more accurate. ISO performance isn't quite as good as my old 6D but the RP does increase the resolution by 6mp. The EVF I've found a joy to use and in reality it's no different to the OVF of a DSLR, save for it being that bit duller in very bright sunlight. The real bonus is that my EF lenses work if anything better on the RP than on my DSLRs!