UnitedBill78
Topic Author

Pictures saving as webml instead of jpeg

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 am

Why is it lately all the photos are no longer in jpeg format but in this webpl or whatever its called format.. I use to love to save the airplane pictures and use them as background photos for my PC.. I can't save those webml or whatever it is..

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: Pictures saving as webml instead of jpeg

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:11 am

That's been the case for a while now. I think it has something to do with the move to the cloud, but not 100% sure. Either way, I don't think it will revert back to what it was anytime soon/at all.

Miguel1982
Head Screener

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:56 am

What do you mean? I can see them as JPG. This is what I do.

- Open the large version of an image. As a self-plug, https://www.airliners.net/photo/Wideroe/Embraer-190-E2-STD-ERJ-190-300STD/5765695/L
- Right click on the image, then "Copy Image Address".
- Click on the URL bar on your browser, and paste the copied image address. It will be something like this: https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/5/9/6/5765695.jpg?v=v4c05be2da47
- From that, remove everything after "jpg", leaving just https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/5/9/6/5765695.jpg

That can be downloaded as JPG :)

jelpee
Screener

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Hey Miguel,

The non JPEG format issue seems to occur when I use Google Chrome. In Chrome, I was unable to use the method you recommended. The file format remains as a WEBP File. However, when using Microsoft Edge as the browser, I am able to download any image from the site as a JPEG file. Perhaps it is a browser specific issue. Not sure what it does in Firefox.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

B747Saeed

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:20 am

jelpee wrote:
Hey Miguel,

The non JPEG format issue seems to occur when I use Google Chrome. In Chrome, I was unable to use the method you recommended. The file format remains as a WEBP File. However, when using Microsoft Edge as the browser, I am able to download any image from the site as a JPEG file. Perhaps it is a browser specific issue. Not sure what it does in Firefox.

Jehan

There’s a method to save an image in JPEG when using Google Chrome: Open the image in a new tab, delete the last three characters of the URL, and hit the “Enter” key. The tab will be refreshed, but this time, you can save the image in JPEG.

UnitedBill78
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:47 am

thank you guys.

UnitedBill78
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 am

Well they just must of seen your post.. they changed it.. now even when I save as copy image address remove everything up to the jpg and go to save that way, I am still getting a webp file.. I think its going to be an end of saving and making them backgrounds.. apparently there copy righted and don't want us doing that any longer.. :(

airkas1
Head Screener

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:51 am

While I doubt that they actively did that (one would assume have better things to do), I do get the same result when trying. The images here have always been copyrighted by the respective photographer, so nothing new there. Worst case is now one has to contact the photographer to ask for a background image, not a super big deal and a ncie chance to let the photographer know that you like their image.