JakTrax
Topic Author

Is the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS STM as good as the reviews claim?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi All,

Need a light, compact telephoto lens for my crop bodies (to get around Ryanair's cabin bag policy!) and the performance of the above lens is continually lauded — is it as good as they say? I've an all-L collection at the moment — while I'm aware that it probably won't match that quality I would require something that isn't too far off and this seems like it could be it. Would I be disappointed with this lens?

Thanks,
Karl

Crosswindphoto

Re: Is the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS STM as good as the reviews claim?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I have the older non STM version, and since the results that I get with the non STM version are pretty good, I’d imagine that the STM is even better.

JKPhotos
Screener

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 pm

I have used the non STM version as well, while it is solid and you can get good results until 200mm, it is nowhere near any L lense I have used. Honestly mate, I get your problem, but I would struggle having to use it again. Knowing that you are quite picky with your shots as well, not sure if it's made for you. :-)

For my previous "non-L" Standards it was okay though within its limitations.
I don't see why the STM should make the image quality much better. But again until ~ 200mm you should get decent results.
Generally I always thought and still think that it does offer great value for money.

spompert

Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi Karl, I used this lens four quite a while before I upgraded to a L-lens. If I was you I would definitely buy it. Very good quality, cheap and light. Only some vignetting at 250mm at F8 and higher. But I got hundreds of photos accepted with this lens easily. Good luck. Stefan

JKPhotos
Screener

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:05 am

Stefan, for what's it worth I think you can get acceptances / acceptable shots with every DSLR lense outthere. I don't think it's the point for Karl, that does not even upload at the moment.
The question is more: will these shots have sufficient quality for someone that is used to an L-Lense quality for long years? I would doubt that..

As soon as I had my first L Lense I did not want to shoot with my other lenses again, so unfortunately for my wallet I had to buy more.
Otherwise I have plenty of shots with the 55-250 in the database as well. I also think it might is possible to get a decent shot at 250mm,but the success rate won't be high.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks guys. It's worth noting that the new(er) STM version is an optical redesign and is praised for being much better than the two original versions (IS I & II). The reviews really are quite astonishing but at the same time a little ambiguous, for the fact that the phrase 'for the money' frequently pops up. Additionally, not a one compares the results directly to an L lens, so the reader/viewer doesn't really have a clue as to what the true image quality is like.

All that said, I can get one for £100 (or EUR120) so if it's crap I can sell it on with only a negligible loss.

Karl

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:04 pm

JakTrax wrote:
All that said, I can get one for £100 (or EUR120) so if it's crap I can sell it on with only a negligible loss.

Honestly, just go for it.

The older version (I know it's a different design) was "OK" up to about 200mm. If the newer version is significantly better, you'll be fine.

Or you could rent one and try it out, but I imagine you'll end up paying nearly the cost of the lens.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

spompert

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:20 pm

JKPhotos wrote:
Stefan, for what's it worth I think you can get acceptances / acceptable shots with every DSLR lense outthere. I don't think it's the point for Karl, that does not even upload at the moment.
The question is more: will these shots have sufficient quality for someone that is used to an L-Lense quality for long years? I would doubt that..

As soon as I had my first L Lense I did not want to shoot with my other lenses again, so unfortunately for my wallet I had to buy more.
Otherwise I have plenty of shots with the 55-250 in the database as well. I also think it might is possible to get a decent shot at 250mm,but the success rate won't be high.

I understand what you mean Julien. But I was trying to say the quality is still very good for a not L-lens. Karl already mentioned he did not expect the same quality as a L-lens. The 55-250 shoots very good at 250mm as well, just watch out for some vignetting.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks guys, encouraging stuff!

To clarify, I don't expect L quality in most areas but I want something that's not far off sharpness-wise. Many cheap lenses when used to their strengths can produce results comparable to the L series, but often with a bit more distortion and/or CA. And of course you tend to get narrow maximum apertures fairly quickly into the zoom range with the cheaper telephotos.

I'll not be using it beyond about 150mm.

Karl

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the help, guys, however in the end I bought a new (smaller) case to put my gear in, that adheres to Ryanair's cabin baggage limits. I'm sure the 55-250STM would have produced acceptable images but I think Julien is right — there's no going back from L lenses.