JakTrax
Topic Author

Canon EOS RP: first impressions & some questions

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:12 pm

HI All,

Rather than dragging up the old thread (which has stagnated) I thought I'd start a new one, outlining my initial impressions of the EOS R system. Hopefully it will help others who are tempted to make the jump to mirrorless.

Firstly, the size — It's tiny... and I mean tiny! This is good in many ways (my hands aren't the biggest and so it's a good fit) but it's a bit fiddly getting lenses on and off (both EF and the heavy/bulky RF 24-105). Initial impressions were that it wasn't particularly well built but in use it feels solid enough, though not as solid as my DSLRs.

I tested it with the EF 70-200 f/4 L IS II first and I must say I was very impressed — essentially native performance with the adapter means snappy AF (although no faster than my DSLRs) and excellent accuracy (better than my DSLRs), with focus remaining consistently locked and no hunting whatsoever. Even in one-shot AF the camera appears to constantly refocus on a subject so I'm not really sure what difference servo AF would make? One thing that did bug me was that the camera/lens continues to focus when the camera's idle, and I either had to turn it off completely or set it to a 15 second auto-off. Is there any way to stop this?

Next up, the RF 24-105. Lovely build and solid/heavy. I couldn't fully test it due to the limited range on a FF body but the images I did get were very sharp, at all focal lengths (even 105mm, a typically weak spot for such a lens). Focus speed was very good, although not noticeably better than the EF lens.

In summary, the AF is certainly more consistent than a DSLR once a subject is identified, and the camera did not once struggle in this area. Focus accuracy remains similar to that of a DSLR, which of course isn't a bad thing. Overall I was more confident in the RP than I am with my DSLRs, which is a great result given the very short time I spent shooting the RP. The speed of the camera in general is also better (compared to the 6D), with it feeling much faster than it actually is (only two frames faster in one-shot burst mode — not tried it in servo yet). I had no problems keeping a subject tracked and in focus in one-shot, which is typically weaker for moving subjects than servo.

Onto the EVF, which I thought would be my biggest issue. Not so, however. To be honest I didn't notice any real difference between using the EVF and the OVFs of my DSLRs — refresh speed seems good and there isn't any lag. I did have to turn the EVF brightness right up, though, and even then, in the sunshine, it was more difficult to see than an OVF. Luckily the EVF and rear screen are adjusted independently, so you don't get caught out as easily by incorrect exposures.

My biggest criticism is how the EVF freezes momentarily while the shutter opens; it's not too much of an issue when you're not holding your finger on the trigger but it makes the 'spray and pray' approach for fast subjects more difficult. I know some mirrorless cameras (Sony) don't suffer from this but presumably it's unavoidable in the RP? It's not a deal breaker and I did begin to quickly learn how to adapt to it but it is one of the few areas in which DSLRs emerge victorious.

Hope someone finds this helpful, and if anyone knows any ways to address the issues I've addressed please holler at me...

Cheers,
karl

Miguel1982
Head Screener

Re: Canon EOS RP: first impressions & some questions

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks for the real world review Karl. Much appreciated :)

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:07 am

Miguel1982 wrote:
Thanks for the real world review Karl. Much appreciated :)

Seconded!

dvincent

Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:51 pm

My biggest criticism is how the EVF freezes momentarily while the shutter opens; it's not too much of an issue when you're not holding your finger on the trigger but it makes the 'spray and pray' approach for fast subjects more difficult. I know some mirrorless cameras (Sony) don't suffer from this but presumably it's unavoidable in the RP? It's not a deal breaker and I did begin to quickly learn how to adapt to it but it is one of the few areas in which DSLRs emerge victorious.

Depending on the drive mode and AF mode, the EOS R series has different effects on the viewfinder. Make sure you have auto image review turned off, make sure electronic first curtain shutter is on, turn on High Speed Display (this will sacrifice some fidelity) and try it with the different framerates. The highest framerates will exhibit slideshowing on top of it. You can't 100% eliminate the freezing, but you can shorten it considerably, because of the limitation of the sensor readout on the EOS R series.

There's currently no way to get the "inbetween frame" that the current generation of non-a9 Sonys do to reduce blackout, but maybe Canon can improve it in a firmware update.

I actually find the most informative place about the EOS R series is the DPReview forums, there's tons of knowledgable people there who've worked out a lot of the kinks (and have documented the remaining ones pretty well).
From the Mind of Minolta

JakTrax
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks Dan, I'll have a look in the menus, see what I can do.

Took the RP out again this morning (with the RF 24-105 f/4 L IS and EF 70-200 f/4 L IS II) and did just over 100 shots. In case anyone's interested, here are my findings re image quality, i.e. what I love and what I don't (and to be fair there's not much I dislike).

To put it bluntly, the image quality overall is stunning and I'm blown away by this morning's images — both lenses work beautifully and the EF is actually sharper on the RP (with the adapter) than it is on the 6D! The RF lens is much better than my EF 24-70 f/4 L IS (and that's no slouch!), although it does lose a tiny bit of sharpness after about 90mm. What I find odd is that the corner sharpness of the 70-200 is more impressive with the RP than with the 6D, despite the higher resolution, and there's certainly less vignetting (for whatever reason). I guess the sharpness boost could be down to the more accurate/consistent AF of the RP but I'm not convinced that's the reason. Regardless, images definitely show more detail than those from the 6D but the 6 megapixel resolution increase no doubt accounts for that.

Moving on to what I dislike (and this is picky but needs to be said nonetheless): above ISO 200 images aren't quite as clean as from the 6D and there is more noise, although to be fair I am pixel-peeping to reach that conclusion. In addition, Canon's excellent colour science doesn't appear to have made a perfect transition from DSLR to mirrorless and the images lean more towards yellow/green than the typical Canon red. I'm finding myself having to do that little bit extra to get the colour where I want it but, like I say, I really am splitting hairs here.

Having used the RP for just two days I already have 100% faith in it and it will now be my primary camera. None of the 100-and-odd images shot today are for the bin (the 6D would always lose focus on a few shots in every 100), which speaks volumes. If you're looking to jump to Canon's mirrorless R system I can assure you that you've no need to hesitate!

Cheers,
Karl

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Are you testing RAW images?

Just wondering if there could be some on-camera software correction of lens flaws.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:11 am

I'm shooting both RAW and jpeg. I have peripheral illumination correction turned on, but I do with the 6D too. I doubt there'd be profiles for EF lenses and I didn't notice anything whilst going through the menu the other day, but you've made me want to double-check. Regardless of any correction going on the results so far are extremely impressive.

Speaking of shooting multiple formats simultaneously, one cool feature I've not seen in a camera before is the ability to delete the files separately, i.e. keep the RAW but discard the jpeg and vice-versa. Very handy if you suddenly find yourself running out of card space!

One final annoyance I forgot to mention is the fact that the SD card slot is in the battery compartment, which is a bit of a pain.

Kaphias

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:55 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Karl. As someone who moved up to mirrorless (Sony) from point-and-shoot and has never owned a DSLR, it's interesting to hear from someone coming from the other way and converging on the same point.