bluestreak
Topic Author

MIA and FLL spotters - spotting areas closed?

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:57 pm

I was planning a trip to the MIA/FLL area for next month for some airline photography, and a short winter escape. However, I spoke with a friend of mine last week who told me the "holes" park was difficult to use because of parking restrictions. He said the customs lot required a permit, and you were not allowed to park along side of the road. He added that the ElDorado furniture lot area was under construction, and it was also difficult for spotter use. He was in the area in October, so maybe this situation has changed?

In regards to FLL, he said the park on the south side of the airport was open, but the north side "dog pound" lot was closed, maybe because that runway is closed also? Could it open in the spring when the runway re opens?

If the above is true, I'll probably change my plans and visit another warm weather spotting location, perhaps SXM if time, and finances allow.

Thanks!
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

airkas1
Head Screener

Re: MIA and FLL spotters - spotting areas closed?

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:20 pm

I’ve heard/read similar, but I’m not sure what the current status is. The situation can change a lot in 3 months. I’ll be there mid-January, but I’m guessing that’s too late for you.

If you are on Facebook, you could ask in the Florida Aviation Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/427359940748534

727LOVER

Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm

I was there about 2 weeks ago.

FLL:
The north runway is open, but the viewing area is still closed.
Currently, most arrivals are on the south runway, most departures on the north runway

MIA:
I parked along the street and walked to the holes,no problem. No problem at El Doarado either

By the way...LONG term....LOOOOOONG term....both the holes and FLL north viewing area are supposed to be axed
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Smoketrails

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 pm

I thought FLL had plans to make the North runway viewing area similar to the Green Belt on the South side?!

jelpee
Screener

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Re. MIA, I heard from a reliable local source that El Dorado is open and accessible. Glad to hear that the Holes are still accessible as well.
Re. FLL, the north runway viewing area is not the best (IMO) unless you have a ladder. Spotting from the top deck of the Hibiscus garage I feel is better overall regardless of wind direction. Also, there are lots of opportunities for ground shots. I heard though that the expansion in the terminals may obstruct some of the views of ground operations. The park on the south side is excellent.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

727LOVER

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:31 am

airkas1 wrote:
I’ve heard/read similar, but I’m not sure what the current status is. The situation can change a lot in 3 months. I’ll be there mid-January, but I’m guessing that’s too late for you.

If you are on Facebook, you could ask in the Florida Aviation Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/427359940748534

There are others as well

SOUTH FLORIDA AVIATION NEWS & PHOTOGRAPHY
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthFl ... on/...This is the one I visit most frequently

There's also
AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY OF MIAMI GALLERY OF FRIENDS
https://www.facebook.com/groups/382382028485292/

AVIATION PHOTOGRAPHY OF MIAMI
https://www.facebook.com/groups/270736713226/
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

airkas1
Head Screener

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:41 am

727LOVER wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info on the holes & El Dorado! Wasn't aware of those other groups.

Miami

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:19 am

Hey, guys!

Join this group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthFl ... ?ref=share

Lots of great photographers there and great knowledge.

There are a lot of spotting locations throughout the airports. Hope it helps! Enjoy South Florida.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker