cjmoeser
Topic Author

New camera decision - would like some feedback on what others have.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi all,

My Pentax K3 crapped out on me a few months ago, and the contractor Richo uses wanted about $1,000to fix a $600 camera. Unfortunately, not worth it. I've decided it is time to upgrade my setup to either the Cannon 5D mk. IV with the Cannon 100-400 II, or the Nikon D850 with the Nikon 80-400.

The question I ask you all that use the same equipment is just the general experience from either company what the strengths and weekeness are with either or.

With the ammount of money I will be spending, I want to make sure I make the right decision on what's best for me. Outside of aviation I do sports, other fast moving stuff and urban night. Not so much portrait in that sense.

Thank you all for the help in advance,

Colin

Bostrom

Re: New camera decision - would like some feedback on what others have.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:49 pm

For sports and aviation, are you sure you need a full frame camera? An APS-C sensor can be useful in those cases (although it depends on your local airport and what sports you shoot).

jelpee
Screener

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:48 pm

Either the Canon or Nikon set up you referenced should more than amply meet your needs. If you go the Nikon route, while the 80-400 is an excellent piece of glass, take a look at the 100-500 mm f5.6. For the money, it is an outstanding lens. I use it for most of my aviation photography.

You can't go wrong with either of the set ups that you mentioned.

Jehan
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

airkas1
Head Screener

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi Colin,

I use the 5D4 with 100-400 mk1. Especially love the camera quality and high ISO performance. I would think that with the Mk2 lens, the output quality is even better.
I'm unfamiliar with Nikon to comment on that.

Miguel1982
Head Screener

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Adding to Kas's response, the mk2 version of the 100-400 is noticeably sharper, mostly so on long focal lengths (300 to 400mm) and wide(r) apertures. It works very very nicely with the 5DIV.

Question - just to add fuel to the fire - have you considered going mirrorless? Either with the EOS R or with one of the Nikon Z series.

ReneWendt

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:14 am

Agree with Jehan regarding the Nikon setup, the 200-500 is a very good one for the price. I use it for aviation and wildlife. For me its a D500 instead of the D850, so I can not comment on the D850.

Regarding the mirrorless road: I do own a Z7 and you can buy it with a good discount from me. When using the 24-70 mm kitl lens it is great, but auto focus when using the 200-500 is not very good, too many pics which are slightly out of focus. It has 47 megapixel and gather noise like crazy for me when used in a cloudy weather, even on ISO 100-400 it is very grainy/noisy. I can not recommend this camera at all. However, this could change if Nikon produces a 200mm Z-mount lens.

JKPhotos
Screener

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:47 pm

I would go with the 5D MKIV and the 100-400L II. It is a very sharp and fast combo. I do sports, too and it is very suited for that. I shot at an nordic ski event earlier this year and was really satisfied with the results, somehow on my sports shots I feel the fullframe upgrade more than on aviation shots.

Honestly Nikon is surely as fine as it gets, too I just don't have any experience with them. And at least on sports eventy here I see far more canon shooters, though reason for that could be various.

JakTrax

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:51 pm

If you're doing a lot of fast-action photography I hand on heart can't really recommend a mirrorless, at least with my experience of the Canon EOS RP. It's a fantastic camera and has many advantages over a DSLR but the split-second freeze-frame between shots will likely be too distracting for sports or airshows. I've not gotten around to attempting to limit its effects but I'm assured that you can never completely eliminate it. This is the same for the EOS R and, I imagine, Nikon's Z range; I believe only the highest tier Sony cameras (A9, maybe A7III?) negate the issue. To be fair you do get used to it and you can successfully work around it but ultimately it's better to use the right tool for the job (which is a DSLR).

One thing I've learned with the jump to mirrorless is that they complement DSLRs, rather than replace them like-for-like. My RP has way better AF than any DSLR I've ever owned and it produces generally superior images, but that doesn't render my DSLR collection useless by any stretch. If you do go mirrorless there are only really two options at the moment: Canon and Sony. The new 1.4 firmware update for the Canons pulls them from last place and puts them firmly into 2nd (probably 1st if you account for the already impressive range of quality RF glass), with Nikon (as pointed out above), Fuji and Panasonic left way behind in the AF department.

Mirrorless may have come a long way but there are (for the foreseeable future) tasks for which a DSLR is still the go-to option. I shan't be offloading my DSLRs any time soon...

clickhappy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Given the difference in price, and the huge jump is resolution (and file size) I would buy a D750 over a D850. Spend the rest on good glass. XQD cards are also expensive and difficult to find for sale, in a pinch. The 5D mk IV is D750 performance at D850 prices :thumbsdown:

McG1967

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:43 am

Does anyone you know shoot with the D850 or 5DIV, that could let you have a try to see how you find either system before committing cash to buying one or the other?

If not, your sort or stuck with trying out in a local camera store or a Best Buys.

seahawk

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:25 pm

clickhappy wrote:
Given the difference in price, and the huge jump is resolution (and file size) I would buy a D750 over a D850. Spend the rest on good glass. XQD cards are also expensive and difficult to find for sale, in a pinch. The 5D mk IV is D750 performance at D850 prices :thumbsdown:

That depends on your needs, the AF module of the D850 runs circles around the D750, if you need it. (for small birds it is in a different league, for airliners, not so much) It is also a big difference in resolution, which can be a negative (large files) or a positive still plenty of resolution even in APS-C mode.

cjmoeser
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:25 am

Hi all,
Sorry it took me longer to you all. I appreciate all the feedback on either bodies and what not. I'm close to making a decision soon, I will need the new body here soon for some sports gigs I'll be doing.
Thanks,
Colin

planespot

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:16 pm

I'm a bit late, but as someone who used both the 1D Mark IV and 5D Mark IV, with the 70-200 2.8 IS II and 100-400 IS II, and just switched over to the Nikon D500 and D850, with the 70-200 2.8 FL VR and 200-500, I have some unique perspective. I don't have the Nikon 80-400, but I've watched enough videos and looked at enough reviews, posts, and samples to conclude that the 80-400 isn't as sharp as the Canon 100-400 IS II. The Canon was tack sharp at 400mm (the V1 not so much). It has a closer focusing distance, is metal vs. plastic, and is still cheaper. The strange thing is Nikon's 200-500 seems to be sharper than their 80-400, if you can get a good copy. I say strange, because it's value priced (got mine new for $1200). Of course, it's slower to focus than the 80-400, very heavy, requires a lot of turning to zoom through the full range, and you miss 100mm at the wide end. Based on your needs, I'd probably lean toward the Canon setup, mostly due to the advantage of the 100-400 II over the Nikon 80-400. I'm really hoping Nikon comes out with an improved version of the 80-400 (or a 100-400), but they tend to release new lenses a lot slower than Canon.
Cary Liao - AeroPX
@aeropxdotcom on Instagram