Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Best Phone Camera

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:43 am

Everyone, I’m a noob in the realm of photography. I don’t own a nice camera and I take pictures on my phone.

What would be the best camera phone to take amazing aviation (and in general) shots?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

seahawk

Re: Best Phone Camera

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:48 am

For aviation there is no suitable phone camera.

JakTrax

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:53 pm

There are images in the database here taken with high-end phones but they depict static aircraft, close-up. Phone cameras just aren't versatile enough for general aviation photography — you basically need to get lucky or work airside to make a good capture.

Dazed767

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:29 am

For starters you could pick this up for $400;
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... m-4-56-iii

Not sure how great that lens is. You'll want to get acquainted with lightroom/photoshop.

vikkyvik

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Dazed767 wrote:
For starters you could pick this up for $400;
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... m-4-56-iii

Not sure how great that lens is. You'll want to get acquainted with lightroom/photoshop.

How's the phone call audio quality on that thing?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cpd

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:39 am

JakTrax wrote:
There are images in the database here taken with high-end phones but they depict static aircraft, close-up. Phone cameras just aren't versatile enough for general aviation photography — you basically need to get lucky or work airside to make a good capture.

You need good light too. I have an iPhone XR which isn't too bad provided the subject is close up and well lit. If it is dark, then the images are fairly noisy.

However, I've taken some action photos with an old iPhone 5 at an indoor velodrome, it was quite easy to do panning photos with it. Just unfortunately the resolution wasn't so great and the image was somewhat grainy. Good for a quick photo if you want to share it, but not for something more.

KFTG

Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:14 am

iPhone 11 Pro, hands down.

Dazed767

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:16 am

vikkyvik wrote:
Dazed767 wrote:

Why spend $1100 on a phone for photography? Could even pick up a refurb Nikon P900 with 83x optical zoom (24-2000mm) for $399. At least the images would be useable.

vikkyvik

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Dazed767 wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
Dazed767 wrote:

Why spend $1100 on a phone for photography? Could even pick up a refurb Nikon P900 with 83x optical zoom (24-2000mm) for $399. At least the images would be useable.

Presumably, one would buy a phone for photography, texting, talking, surfing the web, using apps, etc.

Some people may not want to carry around a separate camera, lenses, etc. Who knows.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seahawk

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:46 am

That does not make it better for aviation photography, unless you have ramp access or want to limit yourself to cabin shots and wing view while flying. For general photography a high end smart phone will be fine, compact and user friendly.

Silver1SWA

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:32 am

seahawk wrote:
For aviation there is no suitable phone camera.

For uploading and getting photos accepted here, that is.

Thankfully this isn’t the only place on the web to share aviation photos. I have ramp access so that helps but I take plenty of aviation photos with my iPhone 11 Pro that I am very happy with. Rarely take the Nikon D750 out of the bag anymore.

To answer the OP, I don’t know if it’s the best phone camera out there but the iPhone 11 Pro camera is amazing. And if you have Lightroom mobile, it takes the camera to a whole new level with RAW capability.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

vikkyvik

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:56 pm

seahawk wrote:
That does not make it better for aviation photography

Not sure if you were replying to me. I never said it would be better.

But the OP quite clearly asked about camera phones. No real point trying to recommend DSLRs.

Kaphias

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:01 pm

Something like the iPhone 11 Pro would be more than capable of getting shots accepted here. Those of us that use cheap equipment (anyone else have 50+ photos on here taken with a $150 point-and-shoot?) have acquired a bag of tricks that make it feasible.