Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

bravotango75
Topic Author

TWA Hotel @ JFK for Photography

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:28 pm

I searched through three pages in this forum and could not locate any thread on the titled subject, so if I missed it, please paste in a link. Anywho, once this COVID garbage settles down and flying for the great unwashed masses returns, I am thinking about flying down to NYC from BOS and spending a few nights at the TWA Hotel. Has anyone stayed there for the purposes of spotting? I have viewed a few videos on YouTube and the photo/spotting opportunities look promising from the rooftop bar. I have heard this venue is only for guests, which is why I plan on a few nights there. The rates are not that unreasonable given that it's NYC and the hotel is smack in the center of JFK.

Again any info would be greatly appreciated, as I can not locate much from a spotters/photo perspective anywhere.

September11

Re: TWA Hotel @ JFK for Photography

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:30 pm

Have you checked Trip Report forum? I saw many TWA Hotel photos in one thread there.
Airliners.net of the Future

bravotango75
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:48 pm

September11 wrote:
Have you checked Trip Report forum? I saw many TWA Hotel photos in one thread there.

You know, I never thought if that, I'll give a shot. I just figured that plane spotters and photographers here would have been abuzz about this new venue at America's premier int'l aviation gateway and this would be the forum to inquire.

Thanks.

dstc47

Fri May 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Cant tell you about views from inside the TWA Hotel but there is a good view of the preserved aircraft from outside Terminal 5.

Cross the road, very carefully, as there is (well there was before Covid) constant traffic looking for a place to drop off or park, on the other side there is a very narrow path you can stand on and look down upon the tableau.

LGM

Tue May 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Hey bravotango75, I went there for planespotting back in November. I was in a bedroom with ramp view, and you can easily take pictures during the day from there, ask for the highest floor. During the night the tripple glazing window mess with any light source. The pool was operating but the weather was so cold that I didn't see anyone using it, some maintenance guys were working but I stayed there without any problem. Tripods are not allowed. I think in the summer the time there is limited to 2 hours per person (just when its full I think). I used my 18-135mm with my 7D for the most of the time, widebodies fill in it from takeoff to the ramp.

Room view:

The rooftop view is just a little higher.