Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

LGM
Topic Author

.WebP ruining quality

Mon May 04, 2020 7:24 pm

I was viewing my last uploads and something looked odd. The sharpeness was gone, looking kind of blurry in some points and definitely soft, there was some changes in saturation also. I tried to save these photos on PC from the website, and discovered that they were in format WebP. Apparently the photo is converted depending if the requesting browser supports WebP. Chrome and Firefox do it for every photo, Opera shows in Jpeg and WebP (I don't know why). Microsoft Edge and Safari shows just Jpeg. In the queue it looks good, for sure they would be reject if it looks like after were upload.

CDN is converting in a bad way/too agressive compression? Airliners.net always looked for quality, isn't it? But with this conversion, 2 guys looking at the same photo in different browsers or device or connection speed, will see 2 different photos.

I downloaded the same pictures in Jpeg and WebP, put one over the other on Photoshop and selected "Difference" in blend mode. The more sharpen were applied, the more sharpen is taken out.

Changed the levels to highlight the changes.

Top 5 today, no changes.

Levels increased.

Maybe WebP is not a good choice for a quality photos related website. It uses a colorspace smaller than the sRGB (YUV420), this can answer the question about saturation.

"As I found, file sizes can even grow, usually if you are converting between lossy and lossless images. On the FAQ page linked above, Google claims: "this is mainly due to the colorspace difference (YUV420 vs ARGB) and the conversion between these."" - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55656137/is-webp-format-more-efficient-than-jpeg

clickhappy

Re: .WebP ruining quality

Wed May 06, 2020 7:04 pm

I don't think images get displayed as webp by default, that only happens if you right-click and save it locally?

LGM
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 8:37 pm

clickhappy wrote:
I don't think images get displayed as webp by default, that only happens if you right-click and save it locally?

Not at all, if you click to save and it show webp as file type, you'll be seeing a webp photo. If the browser supports webp, it will load webp because it's (theoretically) lighter than jpeg, it improves loading time and saves bandwith from the server.

LeeYangzao

Thu May 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Try to use IE browser
An enthusiast of aviation from China
My photos:
https://www.airliners.net/search?keywor ... lay=detail

cpd

Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 pm

LeeYangzao wrote:
Try to use IE browser

It will eventually be phased out.

What can also be done is to switch the user agent (to something non-WEBP compatible) in Chrome to force JPG images. I think Firefox also still does JPG.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.gha ... hrome/amp/

The move to these lighter formats is totally ridiculous when these days there are streaming video advertisements with audio that play full screen at the slightest tap (bad UX). Any savings are wiped out by the advert.

Moose135

Thu May 14, 2020 9:20 pm

When I open an image in Firefox, it comes as a JPG. I haven't willingly used IE in over 20 years.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

LGM
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Moose135 wrote:
When I open an image in Firefox, it comes as a JPG. I haven't willingly used IE in over 20 years.

Every photo? Try to open one with large amount of views, as new images need to "built" WebP profile in the server based on browser requisition.

dutchspotter1

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Looks like the WEBP format is now causing banding rejections.
I compared the following two images (using Google Chrome), wondering if anybody else sees any quality difference between these two links, especially when looking at the sky.

http://www.aviaspotters.nl/pub/WEBP.jpg

http://www.aviaspotters.nl/pub/JPEG.jpg

Both of these images are screenshots (saved as JPEG). The first one is the photo as viewed in my photo corner (if I do "right-click, save as", it gives me the WEBP option), the second one is the direct jpg-link (i.e. imgproc.airliners.net/........jpg).
NO URLS in signature

cpd

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:34 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
Looks like the WEBP format is now causing banding rejections.
I compared the following two images (using Google Chrome), wondering if anybody else sees any quality difference between these two links, especially when looking at the sky.

http://www.aviaspotters.nl/pub/WEBP.jpg

http://www.aviaspotters.nl/pub/JPEG.jpg

Both of these images are screenshots (saved as JPEG). The first one is the photo as viewed in my photo corner (if I do "right-click, save as", it gives me the WEBP option), the second one is the direct jpg-link (i.e. imgproc.airliners.net/........jpg).

The JPEG version is cleaner, but the WEBPAGE is not really a valid comparison is it, because you are getting a compressed version of an already compressed JPEG image, so naturally it looks worse in the sky (I zoomed in using iPhone XR).

I’ll defer to others as my eyes aren’t so tuned into this stuff anymore. But I know web technology and projects (multi-million dollar ones) because that’s my real job.

cpd

Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:46 am

Edit: stupid autocorrect - that should read webp.