Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KPDX
Topic Author

Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 cyan cast

Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 pm

Hello all!

I have the NIKKOR 70-200 f2.8 and while I am quite happy with the quality and sharpness, they all seem to have a cyan/green cast on them. My 200-500 does not have this issue at all on the same camera body. Any ideas? Also, what's the best way to go about correcting this?

Thank you!

KPDX
Topic Author

Re: Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 cyan cast

Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 am

Well,

I figured out how to fix it on Photoshop. But is there any reason why they shot all have this cast out of the camera?

Thanks again!

JakTrax

Fri May 08, 2020 3:47 am

Try adjusting the colour temperature using manual white balance. You can do it in camera or in processing (if you shot RAW).

Nikon always had a reputation for leaning towards blue/green whereas Canon was always more red - much like Fuji film/slide was always blue/green to Kodak's red. It's just the way the camera determines white balance and the optics can be a factor.

julianrv

Fri May 08, 2020 1:42 pm

Also try to do a controlled test at home with another lens ideally using some color checker cards to get a better understanding of how your camera body is behaving. While some lenses can produce some color aberrations this shouldn't be the case with this lens so looks to me more like an issue with the auto whiebalance as JakTrak mentioned.

Even if you shoot RAW-only you should disable d-lightning as it'll mess with the exposure and you'll get a fine embedded jpg preview embedded in the RAW file but lthe RAW itself can be underexposed with some color balance issues.

jelpee

Fri May 08, 2020 1:47 pm

I use the same lenses and color balance has never been an issue. Seems odd that a lens would cause that shift as typically it is based on the WB setting in the camera. Have you tried the 70-200 on a different body? If it happens on a different body, then it points to a lens optics issue which may require a professional inspection and perhaps an internal cleaning.

Am keen on hearing more about this.

Jehan

yerbol
Screener

Sun May 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lenses are professional grade lenses and have nothing to do with color output.
The color of the image controlled by camera.
Old sigma lenses tend to give some yellow cast but not nikon.
Try to play with white balance on your camera and I suggest you to shoot in raw.
Raw has more controls during editing and you should be able to do all corrections if required.

JakTrax

Sun May 24, 2020 3:30 pm

Lenses do have an impact on colour since they are the tools by which light is gathered, filtered and projected onto the sensor. Poor quality optics can produce muddy and/or flat colours. The lens helps the camera determine what colour temperature to set (in AWB), since the lens is effectively the camera's eye.

That said, the disparity should not be as pronounced as in the example image, particularly when such a high-end optic was used.