Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

KPDX
Topic Author

Lower Shutter Speed and Wide Angle

Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:34 pm

Hello all.

I'd just like your thoughts on this matter.. I tried for a bit of a creative composition on this P-3 arriving at Dallas Love Field. It was rejected for:

- Oversharpened
- Blurry

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 7ad667f386

First off, let me say I completely agree that it is oversharpened, and that the quality isn't the greatest ever compared to these multi thousand dollar setups many great photogs on here use.... That being said, I am curious what you feel about the rejection for blurry. To slow down big propellers on an aircraft like the P-3, you have to drop your shutter speed down to something like 1/250 to get reasonable prop blur. That being the case, you are gonna track the aircraft to make sure it stays sharp which will in turn make some of the scenery in the background slightly blurry because.....it's stationary.

I feel because of that, it's next to impossible to get a non-jet shot (which would most likely a higher shutter speed) on Airliners.net with these standards. I'm curious to see what you all think. I have another sequence where the surrounding area is pretty sharp, but at the expense of essentially stopping the props (used 1/500). As you can see below, you can get some good shots with a similar angle but at the sacrifice of stopping the propeller quite a bit.

Interested to see your thoughts on this! It's a tougher angle for sure.

Thanks!

Dylan

JakTrax

Re: Lower Shutter Speed and Wide Angle

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 am

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't really pick out the blur. Where was your focus point? To be honest at that angle you should have been able to achieve a shutter fast enough to get a sharp overall image but slow enough for sufficient prop blur (certainly with stabilisation). The issue with low shutter speeds is how different areas of the aircraft move about the frame relative to each other - the boring old side-on is the most difficult since the subject is moving across the frame at its fastest, while the wingtips will be moving at their fastest relative to the rest of the aircraft. That second point becomes more of an issue the closer you are to your subject.

KPDX
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:09 am

It doesn't look like it because of the way I cropped the photo, but my focus point was centered on the P-3, which is why it's in focus/sharp.. But with the lower shutter speed (1/250 in this case), that's why some other places in the frame are not quite as sharp and show signs of blurriness. Sufficient prob blur is all debateable, but I feel any shutter speed higher than 1/250 on the P-3 looks a bit silly with the props virtually frozen, but you are right, it will leave the rest of the frame less blurry looking the higher shutter speed I use. That's why people can take pictures of jets flying over beaches all day at 1/1600 shutter speed and get away with it. And therein lies my point. Do we trade off stopping the props on propeller aircraft (the subject of the photo) just so some trees in the background look sharp?

I actually find side on panning much easier in this case since I'm not worried about having the background sharp, but moreso the aircraft itself.. not to mention, side on pans are freely accepted here so I don't know why this angle is being treated differently.

Just my 2 cents. Curious to see how others feel.

JakTrax

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:56 am

Okay, I get you now. Just to clarify, it is the general blur across the frame rather than the aircraft being blurry that's the issue?

I can see both sides to be honest. Since the subject is such a small part of the scene to have so much of the frame blurry isn't aesthetic, but at the same time the actual focus of the image is okay. Tough one. I still think at that angle it's possible to get both subject and periphery sharp enough for here.

KPDX
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:06 am

JakTrax wrote:
Okay, I get you now. Just to clarify, it is the general blur across the frame rather than the aircraft being blurry that's the issue?

I can see both sides to be honest. Since the subject is such a small part of the scene to have so much of the frame blurry isn't aesthetic, but at the same time the actual focus of the image is okay. Tough one. I still think at that angle it's possible to get both subject and periphery sharp enough for here.

No problem. I may not have conveyed it as well as I had it in my mind. :)

As far as I know, the issue is that some of the objects down low are a little blurry because of the fact that I'm essentially panning the aircraft up high because I want to show prop blur. I agree 100%, it is a tough one which is why I was curious what others thought.

I suppose I'll give it another try when the opportunity allows.