Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
unattendedbag
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:35 pm

Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 pm

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitle ... /6184931/L

Remark states that the photo was taken by the police department, not the listed Photographer. I found the same photo on the Police department's facebook page.

Can we lift photos from facebook and upload them under our name as long as we give credit in the remark field?
Slower traffic, keep right
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12620
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:08 pm

unattendedbag wrote:
Can we lift photos from facebook and upload them under our name as long as we give credit in the remark field?


My understanding is that you need either:

1.) to have permission from the photographer.

or 2.) to be posting photos that you now own, like photos inherited from parents or whatever.

I had the same question when I saw that photo.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
cpd
Posts: 6769
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
unattendedbag wrote:
Can we lift photos from facebook and upload them under our name as long as we give credit in the remark field?


My understanding is that you need either:

1.) to have permission from the photographer.

or 2.) to be posting photos that you now own, like photos inherited from parents or whatever.

I had the same question when I saw that photo.


My thoughts too, does he really own that photo or have the permissions?
 
unattendedbag
Topic Author
Posts: 2194
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:35 pm

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31 pm

May we please get some more information on this? The post card photo was addressed very quickly. Did this photographer receive permission? It's typical to see that permission addressed in the remark. If not, has there been a upload rule change?
Slower traffic, keep right
 
dgorun
Head Screener
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Per the guidelines the uploader has to own the photo and/or have permission form the photographer to upload the photo. Circumstances happen where it not easy to verify ownership. We do our best with the time we have. If can't verify ownership, we take the photo off the site. We are looking into both photos, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site. We will also look into the SR-22.
Crew - Photo Screener
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12620
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:19 pm

dgorun wrote:
, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site.


That's the opposite of what Paul said would happen in the other thread. Can you provide some clarity?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
dgorun
Head Screener
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:54 pm

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:18 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
dgorun wrote:
, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site.


That's the opposite of what Paul said would happen in the other thread. Can you provide some clarity?


We're looking into why it's not there.
Crew - Photo Screener
 
User avatar
YanivAlt
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:38 am

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:23 am

dgorun wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
dgorun wrote:
, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site.


That's the opposite of what Paul said would happen in the other thread. Can you provide some clarity?


We're looking into why it's not there.
Probably deleted by the photographer?
 
User avatar
PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:37 am

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 am

Hello

Just to update on the Air Zaire 737. It was deleted after community complaints of breach of copyright. We followed up and the deletion was not correct even though it was presented to the DB Editors as a copyright violation.

We have asked for a reupload as the photographer really does own the original negative and proved it.

Before members of the community demand deletion of an image they would be best served obtaining valid proof of their claims as to why we should not host the image. Speculation and assumptions aren't in the best interests of anyone.

Thank you
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible
 
User avatar
Kaphias
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 am

PanAm_DC10 wrote:
Hello

Just to update on the Air Zaire 737. It was deleted after community complaints of breach of copyright. We followed up and the deletion was not correct even though it was presented to the DB Editors as a copyright violation.

We have asked for a reupload as the photographer really does own the original negative and proved it.

Before members of the community demand deletion of an image they would be best served obtaining valid proof of their claims as to why we should not host the image. Speculation and assumptions aren't in the best interests of anyone.

Thank you

I ask again: does possession of an original negative mean that you are the copyright holder? It doesn't seem to in U.S. copyright law. Does the same logic apply to RAW files?
 
User avatar
PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 7:37 am

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Kaphias,

Where have you asked before? Not in this thread.

Copyright law varies from country to country. The answer to your question isn't a simple yes or no. With the Air Zaire 737 the current owner of the original negative proved he acquired the copyright when the negative(s) were bought.

The best way forward is to completely ask for open disclosure of what rights a photographer has to use an original they did not take. With the OP of this thread, the first few replies cover it well. If the image was just downloaded from Facebook, uploaded and a credit made. Maybe that isn't what we would expect.

Happy new year all
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos