Page 1 of 1

Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 pm
by unattendedbag
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitle ... /6184931/L

Remark states that the photo was taken by the police department, not the listed Photographer. I found the same photo on the Police department's facebook page.

Can we lift photos from facebook and upload them under our name as long as we give credit in the remark field?

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:08 pm
by vikkyvik
unattendedbag wrote:
Can we lift photos from facebook and upload them under our name as long as we give credit in the remark field?


My understanding is that you need either:

1.) to have permission from the photographer.

or 2.) to be posting photos that you now own, like photos inherited from parents or whatever.

I had the same question when I saw that photo.

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm
by cpd
vikkyvik wrote:
unattendedbag wrote:
Can we lift photos from facebook and upload them under our name as long as we give credit in the remark field?


My understanding is that you need either:

1.) to have permission from the photographer.

or 2.) to be posting photos that you now own, like photos inherited from parents or whatever.

I had the same question when I saw that photo.


My thoughts too, does he really own that photo or have the permissions?

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31 pm
by unattendedbag
May we please get some more information on this? The post card photo was addressed very quickly. Did this photographer receive permission? It's typical to see that permission addressed in the remark. If not, has there been a upload rule change?

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:42 pm
by dgorun
Per the guidelines the uploader has to own the photo and/or have permission form the photographer to upload the photo. Circumstances happen where it not easy to verify ownership. We do our best with the time we have. If can't verify ownership, we take the photo off the site. We are looking into both photos, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site. We will also look into the SR-22.

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:19 pm
by vikkyvik
dgorun wrote:
, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site.


That's the opposite of what Paul said would happen in the other thread. Can you provide some clarity?

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:18 pm
by dgorun
vikkyvik wrote:
dgorun wrote:
, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site.


That's the opposite of what Paul said would happen in the other thread. Can you provide some clarity?


We're looking into why it's not there.

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:23 am
by YanivAlt
dgorun wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
dgorun wrote:
, the Air Zaire is no longer on the site.


That's the opposite of what Paul said would happen in the other thread. Can you provide some clarity?


We're looking into why it's not there.
Probably deleted by the photographer?

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 am
by PanAm_DC10
Hello

Just to update on the Air Zaire 737. It was deleted after community complaints of breach of copyright. We followed up and the deletion was not correct even though it was presented to the DB Editors as a copyright violation.

We have asked for a reupload as the photographer really does own the original negative and proved it.

Before members of the community demand deletion of an image they would be best served obtaining valid proof of their claims as to why we should not host the image. Speculation and assumptions aren't in the best interests of anyone.

Thank you

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:28 am
by Kaphias
PanAm_DC10 wrote:
Hello

Just to update on the Air Zaire 737. It was deleted after community complaints of breach of copyright. We followed up and the deletion was not correct even though it was presented to the DB Editors as a copyright violation.

We have asked for a reupload as the photographer really does own the original negative and proved it.

Before members of the community demand deletion of an image they would be best served obtaining valid proof of their claims as to why we should not host the image. Speculation and assumptions aren't in the best interests of anyone.

Thank you

I ask again: does possession of an original negative mean that you are the copyright holder? It doesn't seem to in U.S. copyright law. Does the same logic apply to RAW files?

Re: Can we upload other photgrapher's photos?

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:21 pm
by PanAm_DC10
Kaphias,

Where have you asked before? Not in this thread.

Copyright law varies from country to country. The answer to your question isn't a simple yes or no. With the Air Zaire 737 the current owner of the original negative proved he acquired the copyright when the negative(s) were bought.

The best way forward is to completely ask for open disclosure of what rights a photographer has to use an original they did not take. With the OP of this thread, the first few replies cover it well. If the image was just downloaded from Facebook, uploaded and a credit made. Maybe that isn't what we would expect.

Happy new year all