Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jmsantafe
Topic Author

Any Experiences On The Nikon D7100

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:40 pm

I hate do dig up an old topic, but I was considering upgrading from the D40X to the D7100.
I would obviously get it used, as my budget is around $500.
I would use this lens: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produ ... ed-vr.html
The image buffer seems annoying, but it seems like you get used to to. Especially with a fast card. The other thing that seemed really good was the autofocus.
Used the camera goes for around $440.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

jelpee

Re: Any Experiences On The Nikon D7100

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:19 pm

I've been using the D7100 for many years for Aviation Photography. The quality of the image is directly relate to the quality of the glass. I use it the Nikon 70-200 mm f/2.8 VR and enjoy excellent results. From a performance point of view, I have not had a reason to change/upgrade.

Jehan

seahawk

Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:02 am

The sensor is still fine. AF is also okay.

ftorre82

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:55 am

In your case is a huge upgrade but I strongly recommend to get the d7200 instead. The d7100 buffer is very tiny, at full speed and raw it only covers 1 1/2 seconds before filling the buffer. On the other hand the sensor is very good (d7200's is even better) but being a high resolution sensor I would get the latest nikkor lenses (af-p) to get the best results.

Fiend

Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:17 pm

FylingValle

Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:55 pm

Hello!

I use the D7100 along with the 80-400AFS VR, this is an excellent combination.

The D7100 has the full 51pt focus system, with the added benefit that the AF array covers a much larger portion of the image than on a full frame camera. The only limiting feature may be the small buffer, but there are things you can do to maximise this - use the fastest cards (I use the 95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, they do make a difference), reduce file size (maybe even JPG if that suits), or there is a useful 1.3 crop option which increases frame rate and effective buffer.

The 80-400 is excellent, about the only limiting feature is that it's only f/5.6 on the long end. Other than that image quality is great, as good on the long end as the short end, good zoom range, easily handhold able.

Within the Nikon stable you'd have to pay a lot more money to get anything better.

seahawk

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 pm

I rarely do not shoot jpg for aviation. On a normal cloudy or sunny day and using a low ISO, every camera gets the colours right. It also saves a bit of time in the editing process. (and storage space)

jmsantafe
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 am

FylingValle wrote:
Hello!

I use the D7100 along with the 80-400AFS VR, this is an excellent combination.

The D7100 has the full 51pt focus system, with the added benefit that the AF array covers a much larger portion of the image than on a full frame camera. The only limiting feature may be the small buffer, but there are things you can do to maximise this - use the fastest cards (I use the 95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, they do make a difference), reduce file size (maybe even JPG if that suits), or there is a useful 1.3 crop option which increases frame rate and effective buffer.

The 80-400 is excellent, about the only limiting feature is that it's only f/5.6 on the long end. Other than that image quality is great, as good on the long end as the short end, good zoom range, easily handhold able.

Within the Nikon stable you'd have to pay a lot more money to get anything better.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and advice! I think I'll change my choice to the D7200. I do believe I have a 95 mb/s card so that should help with the buffer. I'm sold with the autofocus but I do have some more questions about the sensor. When compared to my D40X (using the same 55-300mm lens as mentioned above) can I expect to see sharper and more vivid images? A lot of the images I see on Instagram and airliners.net are super sharp, vivid, bright, and good looking. I know I won't be getting FX level results, but can I expect to see an improvement in image quality/sharpness? (F.Y.I I currently shoot images at the medium size (2896x1944px). Should I shoot in large (3872x2592px) for better results?)

Fiend wrote:

Could you please explain the differences between this lens and the one I currently use? As an extremely amateur photographer, I only see the reduced focal length range as the difference :? . Could I expect sharper/better images with this lens?

Again, thanks everyone for their input!

jmsantafe
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:11 pm

Also, with the FX 70-300MM lens and the 1.3x crop factor, does that mean my max focal length will be around 390mm?