Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Filter recommendations for Canon RF glass

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:59 pm

All,

Looking for a quality filter for my RF 70-200 f/4 L IS but don't have much experience with filters. Seems there are some excellent budget options from Hoya, K&F Concepts and Urth (formerly Gobe) that don't appear to affect image quality, however my big concern is buying one and finding out (the hard way) that the glass of the filter touches and grates against the front element. I'm not sure how common this is but there are several online threads that do warn of this with some of the cheaper options.

I'm assuming the official Canon option is the safest bet but how are they quality-wise? Does anyone know of any non-Canon brands than can guarantee their products won't interfere with the front element?

Cheers,
Karl

jelpee

Re: Filter recommendations for Canon RF glass

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Hoya Multi-coated filters have served me well over the years. I use their UV filters as a protective layer on all my lenses.

Jehan

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:38 pm

Thanks Jehan. I imagine the best thing to do is email each manufacturer and ask the question? I'm just a little concerned as RF glass is new territory for the filter manufacturers and, certainly in the case of my lens, the front element is more curved that its EF equivalent.

scbriml

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:46 am

I'm going to be maybe controversial here and suggest you don't use a filter! :o

After years of always having a filter on all of my lenses, I've done a complete 180 and haven't used any filters for the last ten years. My reasoning is this - I don't understand the logic of spending literally thousands of pounds/dollars/euros on cameras and lenses (giving you amazing image quality), then sticking a comparatively cheap piece of glass on the front of the lens!

My personal opinion is that the protection angle of a filter is way overplayed. I've been using SLR cameras since the mid-1970's (yes, I'm that :old: ) and I have never scratched a lens or had a situation where a filter would have saved a lens. Over the years, as the quality of my equipment has improved, the idea of slapping a cheap bit of glass on the front of an expensive lens seems more and more absurd.

All just my own personal opinion on filters and I would point out that I do always use a lens hood.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Steve, I'm aware that every filter will degrade image quality in some way but the more expensive ones (which I'm looking at) don't affect images to any noticeable degree. I too have never used filters but Canon RF glass is extortionate and I'm willing to lose a negligible fraction of the quality to protect the lens. Better to pay £70 for a new filter than £1700 for a new lens!

I don't use a lens hood.

Cheers,
Karl

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:40 pm

[photoid][/photoid]I contacted Hoya and they have said they cannot absolutely guarantee compatibility with Canon's new RF lenses. They've told me to approach Canon, however Canon are simply going to recommend their own 77mm filter (which as per their website IS compatible with my lens).

Oddly I can't find any reviews of Canon's own filters. They're not cheap so one would have thought they'd be of similar quality to those offered by B+W, Hoya and Heliopan?

Cheers,
Karl

Ritchie1960

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm with Steve on this. I don't use filters on my lenses but always have a lens hood attached. A few years ago I tripped up some concrete stairs whilst carrying my camera and dropped it quite heavily. The lens hood on my Nikon 70-200 F2.8 most definately saved the lens from major damage. I had to buy a new lens hood but the lens escaped unscathed. I'm not sure a filter would have afforded the same level of protection.