Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaxwellMiky
Topic Author

Aviation and Aerial Photography

Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 am

I'm a pilot and part of an aerobatic team. Does anyone have any tips or experience to share in this genre of photography? I often take pictures from the cockpit (when I'm not on the controls) and also from the ground at competitions. Our team travels a lot, so I'm able to capture all different kinds of terrain and scenery and this summer have covered much of the east coast and mid-west. In the cockpit I have come up with a great setup thanks to Peak Design; my camera locks into my harness which is useful because sometimes straight and level gets boring. I shoot with an a6300 right now and have been experimenting with different shutter speeds and focus modes and have certain settings memorized that work well in the cockpit and others that work well for different effects when shooting from the ground. I will share my techniques if anyone is interested, but I'd like to hear suggestions first so that that one golden tip someone may have gets mentioned instead of someone assuming I'm close enough to their ideas/techniques already. If you have experience/interest/or questions then I'm all ears (and eyes)! Thanks!

TerryLewis

Re: Aviation and Aerial Photography

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am

MaxwellMiky wrote:
@writemyessayfast.ca
I have been reading a lot on the thephotobrigade blog. Freelance photojournalism > Shooting at 10,000 Feet by C.S. Muncy

Hello,

Which aircraft are you flying in?
I work as a photographer at airshows mostly. Each type of aircraft needs an establishment of your personal technique through trial and error. For me, work light is the first thing to think about.

TerryLewis

Re: Aviation and Aerial Photography

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:46 am

+
I'd also recommend a Newswear Chest Vest. It's truly helpful.