Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andy84
Topic Author

Lens upgrade

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:46 am

Hi all, I’m thinking about an upgrade (from the 70-300) for my lens to be coupled with a D7100 and after some research, I’m stuck with these three:

- Sigma 150-600 sport
- Nikon 200-500
- Tamron 150-600 G2

I read and viewed tons of review and there are a lot of controversial opinions about them someone was complaint about the weight of the Sigma and that it’s not so sharp and so on, someone else about the “poor” performance of the AF of the Nikon. Is there someone that use some of this lens and could be so kind to give me a real impression from the field?
I’d like to spot not only airliners but even fighters and here could be the most demanding work due to the speed and size of the object and for this reasons I’d choose a 600mm lens with the best AF performance.

Thx all

jelpee

Re: Lens upgrade

Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:20 pm

I use the Nikon 200-500 mm on both the D7100 and the D800. For me, it has been a gem of a lens. Super sharp and excellent contrast and clarity. I've owned and used it for 5+ years. Having lugged it around to various spotting locations around the US by air, it has been very durable as well. I only have 2 complaints:
1. On the D800 (with the battery grip), it does feels heavy. But I imagine that would be the case with the other lenses you are looking at. This issue however, has not stopped me from using it.
2. At times the 200 mm is too much of a zoom, especially on the D7100. Therefore, for the most part, it sits on my D800.

The majority of my images on a.net are with this lens. e.g. https://www.airliners.net/photo/Kalitta ... 0r8A%3D%3D
IMO, it is stellar lens and reasonably priced as well.

Regards,

Jehan

andy84
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:42 pm

jelpee wrote:
I use the Nikon 200-500 mm on both the D7100 and the D800. For me, it has been a gem of a lens. Super sharp and excellent contrast and clarity. I've owned and used it for 5+ years. Having lugged it around to various spotting locations around the US by air, it has been very durable as well. I only have 2 complaints:
1. On the D800 (with the battery grip), it does feels heavy. But I imagine that would be the case with the other lenses you are looking at. This issue however, has not stopped me from using it.
2. At times the 200 mm is too much of a zoom, especially on the D7100. Therefore, for the most part, it sits on my D800.

The majority of my images on a.net are with this lens. e.g. https://www.airliners.net/photo/Kalitta ... 0r8A%3D%3D
IMO, it is stellar lens and reasonably priced as well.

Regards,

Jehan

Thanks Jehan for the reply!

For sure a Nikon lens on a Nikon body would be the best choice but in the complaint nr.2 you have fully centered the biggest doubt that I have about it. On the D7100 at 200mm is equal to 300mm and looking at some images I took in the past year rarely I used that focal length.
Do you ever have issue with the AF?
Obviously the weight is something to think about it but the Sigma weights about 6lbs plus the camera and the battery pack so..you can imagine. Maybe hand held it could lead even to blurry images as stated by several owners of it.

So at the moment I am +1 for the Nikon...

jelpee

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 pm

Re. your question on the AF, it has never failed me.
For me the weight has never impacted focus as a result of camera shake. The lens is very sharp at f5.6. At ISO 200, I'm able to shoot in excess of 1/1000th of a second on sunny days. I have used it with a tripod, but you need to use a heavy duty tripod. A sturdy monopod also helps. Mostly I use it hand held. My complaint about the weight is just physical fatigue after hours of handling. Not a show stopper by any means.

I typically use two bodies when I'm out photographing airplanes. If I am inside the fence I use the D7100 with a shorter zoom. If I am outside (most times), I always use the D800 with 200-500mm.

scbriml

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:04 am

+1 for the 200-500mm, it is an excellent lens. I use it on both my D7200 and my old D700. Never had an issue with it. Which body I use is dictated by what I'm shooting - airliners, I'll go with the D700, for smaller stuff (especially at air shows), I'll go for the D7200.

It's good enough that I recently sold my 200-400 f/4 - a lens that I long considered one of the best Nikon ever made and swore I would never part with!

andy84
Topic Author

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:04 am

So..yesterday I tried the Sigma at the retail store near me and to be honest it's really unusable hand-held due to its weight. I think that the nikon is the best choice even with the crop factor of the D7100