Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fateme2021
Topic Author

best camera

Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 am

Hi. What is the best camera brand for professional photography? I dither over Canon and Nikon brands, can you help me?

exFWAOONW

Re: best camera

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:27 pm

No one wants to touch this hot potato?

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:09 am

This forum has pretty much gone quiet apart from discussions over screening standards, images not being accepted correctly or at the right time, etc.

As for the question at hand, both Canon and Nikon are doing excellent cameras so it is more about your ability to make the most of the camera. They have advanced far ahead of the top-level cameras I was using back in the day.

iRISH251

Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:23 pm

This question is so broad that it is less for an aviation website and more for a photography one. Both brands (and others) have their adherents and the main thing to consider is that lenses and other accessories will mostly be brand-specific and not interchangeable between camera brands.

jhud922

Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:24 pm

I would probably say anything with a crop factor, good autofocus, and ability to capture relatively high FPS. Think Canon 80d, 90d, 7dmk 2, Rebel T6i, T7i, etc.

flipdewaf

Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:08 am

The old adage of "The best camera is the one you have in your hand". Don't spend time on reading reviews where someone points a camera at 78 different settings at a screen at a set distance away then spends 4 days taking pictures of clocks at different angles and zooming right in to see how blurry the left bottom most pixel is.... All the cameras at a certain price point are, to all intents and purposes, the same technical quality. The thing to do is go to a shop where they have them and pick them up, see which one you like the "feel" of. Which ones have the menu that's easiest for you to understand so you can set it quickest. You'll be more bummed to miss a shot completely than anything technical. I would say that 200 spent on all day comfy shoes to stay on your feet is more important than an extra 200 on the photography equipment.

Fred

SpaceForceCapt

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:05 pm

I am kind of partial to Nikon, so I have a D850. I'd say it's one of the best DSLRs of all time. I like the ability to crop, so a high MP camera is very handy for me. Second choice would probably be a D500. If you want to go with mirrorless, there are lots of options. Most modern cameras are plenty good. Lens selection is very important.

brianw999

Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:28 pm

I’m a Nikon user. Main reason is that when I first bought a 35mm camera back in the days of film it was a Nikon. When I upgraded to digital I needed a camera that could mount my existing range of lenses. Currently I use a D7200. 24mpx, reasonable frame rate, twin SD cards and an aftermarket battery grip works very well for me. It has an f3.5 - f5.4 18-300 lens on it which has become my “go everywhere” lens. I also have a pair of D7000 bodies but they very rarely get used these days. They have a very useable 16.1mpx sensor and most of my aviation images were taken using them.

overdrive66

Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:26 pm

I would say Sony Alpha 1 is the queen for action photos along with 600/4 GMaster. Price for that gear is little bit less than 20000 Euro, good luck with that XD

Austin90

Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:54 pm

the Canon EOS 90D is what I mainly owned, It handled pretty well and got the job done nicely

bhill

Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:14 pm

Fateme2021 wrote:
Hi. What is the best camera brand for professional photography? I dither over Canon and Nikon brands, can you help me?

As a Canonista, I can only speak to those brands, for "pro" work, a full frame would work best. I am not a mirrorless user, which would cover the R series of bodies, and if you are just starting out, you can find some really good deals on the 1Dx, 6D and 5D series of cameras. The 1 Dx has the highest frame rate of the Canon line up for action shooting. I use a 5D Mk III for sports and a 5Ds for large image astrophotography. One neat thing Canon did this time around is that if you decide to go with the R series, the EF mount L glass will work just fine with the adapter. What ever body you go for, do not skimp on the lenses, cheap glass can spoil a perfectly planned shot.

B777

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Nikon and Canon user here. In short, both are good. Really comes down to your budget and preferences. Best to go to the shop and try in person before deciding. My current spotting gear: Nikon Z50 + Nikkor QC 200mm f4 ai lens…a mix of the new and old!

epten

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:13 am

Every DSLR body in existance, from the earliest 300Ds to the most modern 5k+ mammoths is more than capable of producing "professional" photographic results. The attached lens, on the other hand, is what makes the biggest difference.

Get any - and I mean any - DSLR in a good condition or new, and budget for lenses. The bigger the glass - the better. If your budget is, say, 2000 usd/euro, then spend 500 on the body and the remaining 1500 on the best lens for the money.

USAir_757

Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:15 am

Pick up a D4. They go for very cheap, especially relative to their original MSRP, and when you consider that the maximum allowable image size on this site works out to 2.79MP, the D4's 16MP is plenty. The low pixel density will also be more forgiving with things like camera shake, lens quality, AF accuracy, etc., and also gives less noise especially at high ISOs.